Started on: 07-27-2017 10:39 PM
Replies: 7 (482 views)
Last post by: migs on 01-20-2018 12:19 PM
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2017 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently picked up this beater 87 blue coupe.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

When I got it, both headlight motor gear pucks were F'd.
I put Rodney's Delrin pucks in headlight gears, and all was spiffy....for a week.

Now, the passenger headlight functions normally, but when the headlights are turned off, the driver's headlight has started closing tightly and refuses to come up unless I back off the manual knob a little bit first.... then it works "up" normally.

I assume that this is because whatever circuit in the headlight module is responsible for current detection has a problem.
Does somebody have a rough circuit diagram that shows me where I might be looking for the current detection part of the circuit- there must be a shunt resistor of some sort, right?

[This message has been edited by KurtAKX (edited 07-27-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the motor is still having problems.
Module is doing its job and killing power to it thinking the motor is jammed.
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

you fix it/them for the pins then the motor can jam for several reasons, break the gear or break the output shaft.
I and others stopped messing w/ motors and bought Cardone new motors. https://www.cardone.com/ to get PN's

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-28-2017).]

KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm wondering if I'm hitting current limiting in "UP" due to the module not being able to detect current when it runs the motor "DOWN", effectively binding up the motor.
I will check to see if module continues supplying power to motor in "DOWN" after the headlight motor stops turning.

I know the little balls at the end of the worm gear are still in place, and I didn't adjust motor/worm endplay at all when I put the Rodney pucks in.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can vouch for the Cardone units. They work great! They are brand new, but I think they are made in China, so I can't say if they will last as long as our old factory units.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

I can vouch for the Cardone units. They work great! They are brand new, but I think they are made in China, so I can't say if they will last as long as our old factory units.

Part number? Price?
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have two options...

Cardone unit from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Card...iero+headlight+motor

Ebay unknown brand, but looks identical: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New...AOSw42dZIQWT&vxp=mtr

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Chris Eddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris EddySend a Private Message to Chris EddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, I believe that I have the basics of the headlight controller figured out. When the mosfet transistor is on, the current through the mosfet causes a voltage drop. When the voltage rises to a certain point, the chip triggers off.
There are two mosfets and two relays.
migs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2018 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for migsSend a Private Message to migsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am having my own probems with this system as I have converted to use the gen 2 on my 1986. My issue is that nothing raises or lowers using the switch. I have changed out the motors for the cardone versions, used the wire diagrams found here and verified that the 5 prong plug that goes into the module is wired correctly and has the correct pins with 12v+ on or off depending on the switch position. However when I check the output on the 4 wire plug that goes from the module to the individual headlights each one of these is showing 12v+ ALL THE TIME!! thats not changing with the headlight switch position and the only movement i get out of this is by hand cranking the headlights up and then initially connecting the module 5 wire plug which then powers both motors in the down position until they are closed and then nothing else. I had initially been sold a firebird 4th gen module which i have now substituted for one which is listed as from a 1988 Reatta and was listed as should work on Fiero. Internally both seem to have no broken parts although they have different electronics and both have the same 12v+ output on the 4 prong connecter all the time.

[This message has been edited by migs (edited 01-20-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock