Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Which 2.8L pick-up coil is better? Delphi CE1005 or AC Delco D1987?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Which 2.8L pick-up coil is better? Delphi CE1005 or AC Delco D1987? by David Hambleton
Started on: 07-19-2017 11:59 AM
Replies: 20 (827 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 08-11-2017 07:53 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rock Auto:
Delphi CE1005 $10.07
AC Delco D1987 $18.93

Or some other supplier?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These days one never really knows where a part is made or if it is quality. On this gamble I'd try the AC Delco.

But I also have a BWD from Oreillys in a car and it is fine.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The pick-up coil is such a simple part, I'd just get the cheapest one you can find.

Delphi is a respectable name brand.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely neither and no better then Wells Standard etc.

Delphi (wiki) is the company created by GM to spin off all parts divisions.
Then went Bankrupt and now most parts they still make are made in China and anywhere else is cheap.
Many parts are rebrand made by others like Delco Freedom Batteries have been made by Johnson Controls, Inc. for ~10 years.

ACDelco now is just a Brand that stamp the name and a big markup for it. Like Kenmore and many Craftsman tools sold for decades.
GM still owned ACDelco (wiki) but doesn't mean much.
Many part they sell if they have a warranty only has a 30-90 day warranty vs Many "store brand" parts from AZ have a year to lifetime warranty made by Wells, Cardone, and other good brands.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always go ACDelco . . . not cause I know it's the best, but I'm trying to mitigate the risk of getting junk. All about playing the odds, in my mind. Obviously, if I read from a credible source that a particular ACDelco part is cheap, that changes the calculation for me.

The only conclusion I have come to is that the Duralast line is junk. I have yet to have a positive experience with it on any vehicle.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My pickup coil is by Wells. Ignition module is AC Delco.

Distributor came from the junkyard. All I did was clean it up and install the new parts.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got both so I could compare them; they're both from Mexico.

Delphi body and green wire are slightly different colours, wire gauge is smaller (outside insulation size anyway), has less instructions, a smaller bag for the clips and a bigger box.

Not that the differences or packaging matter but it leads me to think there are different suppliers for the coils. The Delco's going in 'cause it has bigger wires. Bigger is better, right? Lol!
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

The pick-up coil is such a simple part, I'd just get the cheapest one you can find.

Delphi is a respectable name brand.

The voices tell me to get OEM quality; I argue that's what failed.

I find CTC (China To Canada) is cheaper sometimes but I don't trust the quality. Name brand stuff there is frequently much higher priced.

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

David Hambleton

1580 posts
Member since Nov 2012

Originally posted by theogre:

Likely neither and no better then Wells Standard etc.
Many "store brand" parts from AZ have a year to lifetime warranty made by Wells, Cardone, and other good brands.

I wish we had the selection, availability and prices in Canada that you have. I've seen attractive options online at various US stores but it's frequently counter-productive to drive over the border considering the time & expense etc.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

I find CTC (China To Canada) is cheaper sometimes but I don't trust the quality.

We're talking about an ignition pickup coil here... not a crankshaft. I think you're sweating this one too much.

I've seen attractive options online at various US stores but it's frequently counter-productive to drive over the border considering the time & expense etc.

I've been supplying some TLC to a '98 JDM Subaru Impreza STi wagon that I bought last November. It's definitely been worthwhile for me to place numerous orders for parts in the States and have them shipped to a pick-up location just across the border. I try to limit each batch of orders to $200(Cdn), as this way I don't get dinged for taxes crossing back into Canada. It's a nuisance, and it takes a couple hours for each round trip, but the cost savings can be impressive.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-04-2017).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rock Auto:
Delphi CE1005 $10.07
AC Delco D1987 $18.93

Or some other supplier?

So the bottom line to this thread is They are both junk. I left my car in a parking lot two weeks ago because of this little coil, and it was not that old. It could be the most fragile part of a very fragile ignition system, and if they sold one for $50 I would get that one.....but no, they make them for 50 cents and sell them for $18.93.
PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:We're talking about an ignition pickup coil here... not a crankshaft. I think you're sweating this one too much.

It's the same decision process regardless of the value. It's also more of a nuisance to change than many other ignition components. I just wondered if either would get rave reviews.

It's been over two years since the first intermittent no-start occurrence during which I've been towed five times. Restart would be successful after a day or so, typically when I was about to troubleshoot.

The pic below shows the connnections between the plug leads and the 0.004" diameter coil wires.

Examining the solder joints under a good light and magnifying glass made me wonder how the joints ever conducted electricity, lol!

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Corroded solder joint doesn't = bad connection but doesn't help either. Coil wire is thin to start and corrosion eats that first making more resistance even tho may test good.
I've I saw this when new... I'd coat just the joints w/ brake grease to keep off water.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While looking for the cause of the intermittent functioning, I removed a layer of sealing tape to uncover those connections.
They looked like the 'worst cold solder joints ever' to me, not so much corroded.
After the AC Delco pick-up coil installation, there have been no non-start recurrences.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After the AC Delco pick-up coil installation, there have been no non-start recurrences.

The Delphi unit would've been just fine as well.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

The Delphi unit would've been just fine as well.

Certainly hope so! It joined the spare ignition coil & ICM.

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2017 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had such a bad experience with Rock Auto. It seems they purchase large quantities of cheap parts and then push them out.

They gave me two different brands for my front suspension parts, when I ordered the same. Argued that it made no difference, they substituted, and fought with me when I tried to return them.

They said "a part is a part", but if it is not what you ordered than you have to right to return it.

Lots of money to be made in car parts, and so that is why you have parts store popping up everywhere, some side-by-side, and they both do great business.

The market-up is insane.
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2017 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This stupid little part is, IMO, the Achilles Heel of the ignition system. I've had 3 breakdowns in my Fiero, and all of them were caused by pickup coils (A/C-Delco, BTW). I now replace it at the same interval as the spark plugs... 30K miles.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2017 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does one change this pick up coil? Do you have to pull the dist? Ive been having icm issues lately and that things all rusted and nasty looking, no tape on it.

shem
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2017 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2017 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

I had such a bad experience with Rock Auto. It seems they purchase large quantities of cheap parts and then push them out.

They gave me two different brands for my front suspension parts, when I ordered the same. .

Rock Auto stocks no parts. They just take orders and have overstocked suppliers ship it directly to you. A unique business model, only online. That is why when you order multiple parts from them they come shipped separately.

They are in Madison, WI.

https://www.google.com/maps...1XYPWgaCRhqTzW%3Dw20 3-h202-k-no!7i598!8i596!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x8807ae5f747191d1:0x2729841880d41f9!2sRockAuto,+LLC!8m2!3d43.056776!4d-89.4902684!3m4!1s0x8807ae5f747191d1:0x2729841880d41f9!8m2!3d43.056776!4d-89.4902684
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock