Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Upgrading my Delco cassette player to the Delco Monsoon CD player questions

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Upgrading my Delco cassette player to the Delco Monsoon CD player questions by mnsportsguy1966
Started on: 07-10-2017 01:20 AM
Replies: 6 (702 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 07-10-2017 02:52 PM
mnsportsguy1966

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mnsportsguy1966Send a Private Message to mnsportsguy1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you guys help me in what all does it require for me to upgrade my Factory Delco cassette player to
a factory Delco CD player....do I need a special wiring harness? Do I need a radio antenna extension with a different
end to go in the radio??? The reasons I'm asking is I bought the Delco Monsoon CD player with equalizer and
the antenna plug from the car will not go into the new radio and also wondering if I have the right wiring harness also...
All help is Greatly appreciated in advance!!!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gpchai

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gpchaiSend a Private Message to gpchaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got a 90s Pontiac stereo, but it wasn't a Monsoon. I think yours uses the same plug. I bought a harness and antenna adapter kit from www.replacementradios.com

1 x GM Wiring Adapter: 89+ 20-pin radio to pre-89 12-pin car (RS-GMWA-1862-A3) = $25.00

Buck531

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Buck531Send a Private Message to Buck531Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gpchai:

I just got a 90s Pontiac stereo, but it wasn't a Monsoon. I think yours uses the same plug. I bought a harness and antenna adapter kit from www.replacementradios.com

1 x GM Wiring Adapter: 89+ 20-pin radio to pre-89 12-pin car (RS-GMWA-1862-A3) = $25.00

I basically did the same thing as above. I just got a radio out of a GP with an EQ and plugged it right in. Looks pretty factory since it came out of a Pontiac.

------------------
03 Buick Regal. 13.0x @103
87 Fiero GT. L67, XP, Ported heads, SD headers, 3.2. 12.6@108 1.8 60'.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No-splice harness for upgrade Pontiac radio. www.replacementradios.com

http://replacementradios.com/harnesses.htm

Does your radio actually say Monsoon on the upper edge? The reason I ask is that some have been selling the standard radio and representing it as a Monsoon. I also understand that the Monsoon is actually a system that includes other components, and not just the radio.

http://replacementradios.co...a-1862-a3-p-166.html

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-10-2017).]

mnsportsguy1966

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mnsportsguy1966Send a Private Message to mnsportsguy1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the response guys. Yea mine does say Monsoon in the corner and it has the equalizer on it too.
Replacement Radios looks like the place to go...now another question...I think I remember having to get
even a different wiring harness if I also have the Stock subwoofer. I can't remember if it was just a mod to the one
Replacement Radio sells or if there was a totally different wiring harness...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The subwoofer amp needs a power feed.

From another thread on the subject...
Maybe someone who's done this can comment.

Originally posted by Fiero Tom:

.... cut the blue wire and splice it into the red ... problem solved.

Sorry, I missed the post above but a picture never hurts.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-10-2017).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mnsportsguy1966:

Thanks for the response guys. Yea mine does say Monsoon in the corner and it has the equalizer on it too.
Replacement Radios looks like the place to go....

Another good source is www.crutchfield.com I think that's where I got my plug'nplay aftermarket speakers and speaker conversion harnesses. Left all my factory speaker wires uncut.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock