Front shock bolt by Jojo1976
Started on: 07-03-2017 09:47 AM
Replies: 12 (390 views)
Last post by: AndrewTHG on 08-24-2022 09:06 PM
Jojo1976

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jojo1976Send a Private Message to Jojo1976Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't get the lower front shock bolt to back out of my 85 GT
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jojo1976

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jojo1976Send a Private Message to Jojo1976Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would it be better to cut off the bottom portion of the shock? It's been sprayed with pb blaster a few times. The bolt is just spinning.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bolt has rust frozen?
Shock tube has a seem.
Hit metal next to seem to spread then use pb blaster etc.
See my Cave, Bushings

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Jojo1976

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jojo1976Send a Private Message to Jojo1976Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. It's the original shock I'm removing. The bolt spins when I use a ratchet. Pub blaster has been used multiple times the past few days.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the metal sleeve in the rubber bushing of the shock is rusted to the bolt. Cut the outer bushing ring/mount (without hitting the shock tube!!!) remove the shock, peel away the old rubber then rotate until you see the seam like OGRE said. Then split the metal sleeve apart a bit to free it from the bolt.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Jojo1976

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jojo1976Send a Private Message to Jojo1976Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After 4 hours of sawing with a hacksaw. Finally got the shock free.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:
Sounds like the metal sleeve in the rubber bushing of the shock is rusted to the bolt. Cut the outer bushing ring/mount (without hitting the shock tube!!!) remove the shock, peel away the old rubber then rotate until you see the seam like OGRE said. Then split the metal sleeve apart a bit to free it from the bolt.
Most times a wrench can move the sleeve to attach it. Just hitting the sleeve ends as in my cave works most times.

I've use this trick for big CA bushing etc for Decades partly because often no room for a saw. Big bushing often need some ubber cut out to see the sleeve.
If the bolt is good... Won't be after cutting or heated. Heat to remove = a very soft bolt. Many are Metric Class 10 or SAE Grade 8 and heat ruins them.
Jojo1976

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jojo1976Send a Private Message to Jojo1976Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
M10*1.5*60 Is the correct bolt size for the front lower shock bolt?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
30 seconds with the right tool per side. The safety people would be all over him for not having a guard on his cut off wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHaYGObRrSM

Originally posted by Jojo1976:

After 4 hours of sawing with a hacksaw. Finally got the shock free.

AndrewTHG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2022 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndrewTHGSend a Private Message to AndrewTHGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, feels like way too long since I have posted here, but unfortunately after 3800 swapping my Fiero, I moved states, bought a house, got a dog, and am getting married. I finally am finding (some) time to work on the car here and there and next order of business is new brake lines and front suspension parts. I started to pull my front shocks out tonight (87 GT) and had the same issue as above so thought I would continue this post rather than start a new one. Eventually I got the bolt/nut off that hold the lower part of the shock to the control arm but they are definitely ruined (they being the nut and bolt, but also the shocks are 100% shot. I could compress them with my hands lol!)

Anyway, I see a bolt spec listed above for the bolt that holds the shock to the control arm, but was this verified to be correct? Anyone have a part number or replacement part that can be ordered? If not, I can run to Ace and see what they've got.

I assume torque this to spec (51ft-lbs), and maybe a bit of blue Loctite to be safe?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2022 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AndrewTHG:

...the shocks are 100% shot. I could compress them with my hands lol!

The factory shocks (and struts) were like that when they were brand new. Seriously. They only offered resistance on the rebound.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2022 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
The factory shocks (and struts) were like that when they were brand new. Seriously. They only offered resistance on the rebound.
That and their non gas units too.
Many Replacement work in both ways but non gas as well.
Only "Premium" units was gas for a long time for Fiero and a lot more. I think now all you find is gas units in most product lines.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

AndrewTHG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2022 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndrewTHGSend a Private Message to AndrewTHGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully these shocks make the car feel a bit better then!

So M10*1.5*60 is the correct bolt then? Should I grab one from the local hardware store with the hardest grade I can find, or is there a part number I can just order? Thanks!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock