Coolant Temperature Sending Unit: say NO to BWD by yamaha94
Started on: 06-29-2017 03:57 PM
Replies: 17 (912 views)
Last post by: Rodrv6 on 11-16-2017 09:35 AM
yamaha94

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just as a FYI - Do not buy the BWD "WT414" Temperature Sending Unit for your fiero. It is garbage! I had it Installed and thought problem fixed (and wrote about it)- turned out I was getting High temperature after 5-10 mintues of driving or idling), I was getting a Low Coolant Light continuously - After "burping" the fiero several times which did not make a difference and buying a new connector for the Sending Unit I was absolutely convinced that the Sending Unit was defective. Thanks to the advice from fierofool, and many other great members on this forum I went to my local NAPA parts store and bought a "Standard Automotive" Temperature Sending Unit. It works! and no more coolant lights! my local mechanic thought that the dash on my car was defective so a simple backtrack by diagnosing it was the unit saved me lots of heartache and work! sometimes the simplest things are the solution!

all the best

[This message has been edited by yamaha94 (edited 06-29-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. Glad it worked out for you.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BWD is a low end Chinese made brand and like all the other sensors made there, the quality coming from that country is always suspect. Its always a gamble. The parts may be very good, very bad or even D.O.A. In some case you don't have much of choice but to buy Chinese. I've installed brake rotors and fuel pumps that failed miserably- absolute garbage but an entire coil pack on my wife's old Taurus that's still working strong after a year.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

BWD is a low end Chinese made brand and like all the other sensors made there, the quality coming from that country is always suspect. Its always a gamble. The parts may be very good, very bad or even D.O.A. In some case you don't have much of choice but to buy Chinese. I've installed brake rotors and fuel pumps that failed miserably- absolute garbage but an entire coil pack on my wife's old Taurus that's still working strong after a year.

BWD brand is in fact a brand owned by Standard Motor Products, an American company. Some think it is Borg-Warner, but it is not. The American owners set the design standards and sell the product, getting it made as cheaply as they can.

China bashing is easy and fun, but not helpful. Remember, Apple iPhones are made in China, as well as every battery-powered hand tool in your local big box store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...ndard_Motor_Products

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-30-2017).]

USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what to believe on which brand is better anymore on most of these parts, especially with so many legitimate manufacturers going Chinese and with so many others rebranding someone else's parts. To say nothing of the counterfeits.

I just bought a MAP sensor, and I insisted on ordering ACDelco cause I wanted "the best."

It came . . . and I'll be returning it. In the pictures below, you can see the original GM has the green in the female end of the connector fitting. The other one didn't even properly fit, i.e. I couldn't get the male connector to "snap" in. The part number appears correct though, at least when compared against the ACDelco online parts catalog.

And, you can see how the new ACDelco has no identifying marks other than the 'Made in China' sticker. I wouldn't have known it was even ACDelco if not for the box (which also had a "Made in China" sticker on it). The ACDelco is also lighter, giving it a flimsy feel.

Turns out my original GM MAP was fine anyway, so I just put it back on. But, my delicate sensibilities on part purchases are forever scarred.

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 06-30-2017).]

cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never mind, I'm wrong

[This message has been edited by cyrus88 (edited 06-30-2017).]

USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cyrus88:

Actually the green insulation belongs on the the connector that plugs into the MAP. Seem that when you pulled the wiring harness connector, the green insulation slipped off and remained stuck in the MAP.

Hmmmm, you induced me to go check, and I don't think you're right there.

The male connector also had the typical green insulation you see on these connectors -- I think that's what you're thinking about. It has a softer, pleaded look to it that forms a weather tight seal.

That butts up against the hard green plastic in the original MAP sensors.

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 06-30-2017).]

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2017 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an FYI on the temp sensor. I had one I use on my Trans Cooler line ( new sensor, same sensor as the 2.8 coolant sensor, so I can use the same gauge on the dash with a switch). I was getting wildly different readings on the trans line vs what I could see on Torque, so I pulled it and found a small set screw at the bottom of the connector cavity. I measured the resistance at ambient vs the chart, and it was off. I also tested it with boiling water, and still off ( 40 degrees too high a reading), so I turned the small screw counterclockwise about 1/8 turn, and re-tested. Now almost spot on at 212.

Something to consider doing on any replacement sender, or if you are getting conflicting readings.

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering.

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First of all, there is no "low coolant light" on a Fiero, what the hell are you talking about?

And alot of "ACDelco" parts sold are not AC but mis labeling by the sellers. Total BS!!!!

To know if it is old stock or new china crap, AC-Delco is old stock, ACDelco is new china crap. (notice the dash)

BTW china bashing is easy, you know they have nets around the factory that makes i-crap as the have so many suicides from employees jumping they installed nets. (I'm not making this up)
So you i-tards enjoy your devices made by slave labor.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

China bashing is easy and fun, but not helpful. Remember, Apple iPhones are made in China, as well as every battery-powered hand tool in your local big box store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...ndard_Motor_Products

If you read my post, I said that Chinese quality can be very good or it could be very bad. There are so many contract manufacturers over there bidding on the same business you just don't know what you are going to get in the box. Not bashing China, just trying to give a truthful opinion.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy 4th and I agree given my experience with a BWD oil pressure sending unit that fluctuated wildly after a short period in service along with its like replacement, that the quality and accuracy is questionable. As for the counterfeit possibilities, be afraid. They're abundant on ebay which actually has some really good deals on OE parts provided they are genuine.

Unscrupulous sellers are abundant. The parts are often similar to what was seen with the MAP sensor, they are marked, or missing a lot of the common features we are used to seeing like part numbers and logos, or logos with proper spelling. They are doing packaging also to increase the appearance of authenticity. Alibaba is a huge source for the fake parts and the inventory is growing along with the takers who have no problem with profiting from it on the U.S. end. Check out the site, iridium AC Delco spark plugs complete with AC Delco box and stamped Michigan address .05 each. You just have to buy 50.
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did some more research. While it would seem most Fieros can/do use the MAP sensor I bought (black connector, ACDelco # 213-1545), mine does not. For me, I have to ensure I get the ACDelco with the green insert in the connector like my old one. I just needed a different part number (213-3205). When I search the ACDelco parts catalog using my vehicle, the 213-3205 doesn't show up. But, if I search by that part number, my vehicle is listed as one of the cars it is made for.

Point here, the "Made in China" ACDelco MAP pictured is likely legit. Just not the right part for my car.

Sorry for the hijack, but I thought I'd follow up, since my example is debunked.

Originally posted by USMUCL:

I don't know what to believe on which brand is better anymore on most of these parts, especially with so many legitimate manufacturers going Chinese and with so many others rebranding someone else's parts. To say nothing of the counterfeits.

I just bought a MAP sensor, and I insisted on ordering ACDelco cause I wanted "the best."

It came . . . and I'll be returning it. In the pictures below, you can see the original GM has the green in the female end of the connector fitting. The other one didn't even properly fit, i.e. I couldn't get the male connector to "snap" in. The part number appears correct though, at least when compared against the ACDelco online parts catalog.

And, you can see how the new ACDelco has no identifying marks other than the 'Made in China' sticker. I wouldn't have known it was even ACDelco if not for the box (which also had a "Made in China" sticker on it). The ACDelco is also lighter, giving it a flimsy feel.

Turns out my original GM MAP was fine anyway, so I just put it back on. But, my delicate sensibilities on part purchases are forever scarred.

[This message has been edited by USMUCL (edited 07-06-2017).]

handymanpat

Feedback score:    (48)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for handymanpatSend a Private Message to handymanpatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I was reading somewhere on the forum about how to wire in a low coolant sensor and it lights up on the dash. I was told there is a spot for that light but it was never wired in from the factory. I always wanted to wire one in just for fun.
Thanks Pat

------------------
pat moody

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BWD -

Built While Drunk

Bought With Desperation

Buying Wrong Device

Brand Without Dignity
Chris Eddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2017 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris EddySend a Private Message to Chris EddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To complicate matters, sometimes the item is only available in China.
And sometimes the prices are just toooo good.
I buy bare PC boards from China.. after 2 suppliers that were struggling, I have one that is on the money every time.

I have a suggestion.
If one were to use an ohmmeter on the CLT sensor out of the box, you could at least verify..
A) that the thermistor is correct at room temperature
B) that the switch is not shorted.
And if you were brave and used steam to heat it, you could verify both.
But that is a lot of trouble to go through.
If you were to take that gear into the auto store and test them on the spot, and showed that they were failed out of the box, I am sure that you would make a lot of friends.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You never know what you'll get I guess. I've got BWD Ignition modules in 2 cars, one has been there for 6 years. I also have some of their relays, no issue.
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

BWD -

Built While Drunk

Bought With Desperation

Buying Wrong Device

Brand Without Dignity

Broke When Delivered

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4