Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Timing chain guide with double-roller Cloyes timing chain set (2.8/3.1/3.4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Timing chain guide with double-roller Cloyes timing chain set (2.8/3.1/3.4) by pmbrunelle
Started on: 06-25-2017 03:32 PM
Replies: 10 (443 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 07-03-2017 05:14 AM
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2017 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have installed a Cloyes timing chain set, and I noticed that the camshaft sproket was rubbing the timing chain guide.

I have trimmed the upper lip like so:

Is this accceptable?

Otherwise, is anyone having success with not running the timing chain guide at all?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2017 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That should be fine, as long as there's no more interference.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2017 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this what you did when you rebuilt your V6?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2017 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My timing chain guide was able to fit without modification. Although, I've heard from others that modification was needed because of interference with the Cloyes timing gear.

That said, I would definitely prefer a modified chain guide to none at all. That guide controls "flapping" of the timing chain. And a flapping chain is bad.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2017 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even a single Cloyes chain is going to work well. I have a single chain on my 500hp LS1 Camaro and never have worried about it at all.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2017 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On mine I had to file/grind the sides where the chain rides on to make it fit right. I believe that is machining error but you should be OK!
I have the same one in my 3.4 Supernatural.
The stock set on the 2.8 with less than 500 miles was stretch quite a bit that's why I decided to go with the Cloyes Double Roller!

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 06-27-2017).]

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2017 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

La fiera

2197 posts
Member since Jun 2008
Also, make sure you put plenty of Moly assembly lube on the inside of the chain. In mine I put a coat of dry WS2 or Tungsten Disulfied, the best dry lubricant on the planet.
Soon I will post a "How to build a 3.4 guide" and it will have all those little tricks!
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2017 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

My timing chain guide was able to fit without modification. Although, I've heard from others that modification was needed because of interference with the Cloyes timing gear.

That said, I would definitely prefer a modified chain guide to none at all. That guide controls "flapping" of the timing chain. And a flapping chain is bad.

So far I have taken apart a 2.8 and a 3.1s, and the chain slack was huge on both engines; that's what convinced me I needed the double-roller.

I'm concerned that the part is weakened, so if the side breaks off, then it can wedge between the chain and sprocket, and do some serious damage.

I assume that the flapping is minimal when the chain is new and tight, so the guide becomes more useful as the chain gets stretched. However, we don't know how fast the double-roller chain stretches. Since we don't know how fast the roller chain stretches, it's hard to justify having no guide at all.

Originally posted by La fiera:

On mine I had to file/grind the sides where the chain rides on to make it fit right. I believe that is machining error but you should be OK!
I have the same one in my 3.4 Supernatural.
The stock set on the 2.8 with less than 500 miles was stretch quite a bit that's why I decided to go with the Cloyes Double Roller!

I don't think I have a part manufacturing error, it's just mean to be used with the silent chain sprocket, not the double-roller sprocket.

I ordered another guide; I'm going to see if I can remove just the overmolded plastic, while leaving the steel lip behind.

Hopefully this way I can control the flapping, while being confident that the guide won't break apart.

I will fully remove the overmolded plastic layer lip. I think it's asking for trouble to leave a thin skin of the plastic on the steel; this could detach and get wedged somewhere.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to do the same thing on the double rollers I have installed.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I had to do the same thing on the double rollers I have installed.

Cut off the metal lip completely like in the picture?

How many miles do you have on yours?

I saw pictures of your timing chain set on your blue 3.4 L thread, but no pics that were at an angle that showed the upper lip.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 07-03-2017).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Cut off the metal lip completely like in the picture?

How many miles do you have on yours?

I saw pictures of your timing chain set on your blue 3.4 L thread, but no pics that were at an angle that showed the upper lip.

OK looking over pics, It doesn't look like I trimmed it on my blue Fiero, and about 30,000-40,000 on the engine, it was too long ago to remember.
BUT, the last 3.4 swap I did, I did have to trim it.

Why the difference, I don't know.

But trimming the top won't matter as it is the sides that the chain rides on.

Edit to add: The double roller is 'supposed' to be pre-stretched to help easy your worries.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 07-03-2017).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock