Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  PRE 88 Spring Codes, Part Numbers, And Specs?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
PRE 88 Spring Codes, Part Numbers, And Specs? by SP1200
Started on: 06-18-2017 04:59 AM
Replies: 7 (241 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 01-25-2019 11:39 AM
SP1200

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2017 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have the information for PRE 88 Spring Codes, Part Numbers, And Specs?

Like for example I have a lot of info for the 88 springs.. but what about pree 88?

88 FRONT springs (ARB, ARC, ARD, FPH, FPJ) was 205.5 lbs/in, mfg tolerance plus or minus 3%

Part # CODE
10048402 FPJ (Longest Spring)
10048401 FPH
10068654 ARD (12.31 inches)
10068653 ARC
10068652 ARB (Shortest Spring)

Specs for the ARD and PUC springs, converted from metric values.

ARD: 88 Front
----
Wire diameter: 0.493"
Coil diameter: 3.881"
Free height "S": 12.31"
Active coils (@ free height "S"): 6.94
Active coils (@ height "L"): 6.48
Load @ height "L" (7.87 in): 912.7 lbs
Design rate @ height "L": 205.5 lbs/in

Calculated rate using "free height" active coils: 205.1 lbs/in
Calculated rate using height "L" active coils: 219.6 lbs/in

^ The above info i have from a text file saved years ago. Data mostly from Guru.
Id like to compile a file for pre 88 springs. Any data would be much appreciated. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by SP1200 (edited 06-18-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2017 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread has a lot of info on the pre-88s:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-120564.html
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2018 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.

The codes are tagged on the springs, right?

I'm about to build a new front suspension assembly for my Formula, with some upgrades like spherical bearing lower arm pivots and fully adjustable upper arms. I might as well install some ARB springs, if I can.

I've also been thinking about NYJ code '85-'87 WS6 rear springs, since their design rate is about 20 ppi higher than the '88 design rate.

My RPO sticker is damaged, so I guess I'll have to plug my VIN into a decoder to get my spring codes.

Source of spring codes:
http://calgaryfieros.com/OSGdocs/springs.html

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Moog 2278 is a spring with 3.42" ID, .609 wire diameter and 11" free length, but the rate is 435 lb/in

Sounds like a PLAN!!!

Although... that would replace a FRONT spring, wouldn't it?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 03-01-2018).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
Although... that would replace a FRONT spring, wouldn't it?

Yes.

However, front springs will fit the stock lower spring perch on the rear struts too, so front springs can be rear springs if you add a simple plate with centering ring for the upper spring perch. I was running front 88 springs with 1 coil removed in the rear before switching to 2.5" coilovers.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing the same thing. This is what mine look like.
The "centering post" is a piece of 3" exhaust tubing, welded to the strut plate.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-02-2018).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I'm going to do anything other than drop in a stock spring with zero mods, then I'll go to coil overs. The car already has Konis all around.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2019 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Doing the same thing. This is what mine look like.
The "centering post" is a piece of 3" exhaust tubing, welded to the strut plate.

Had a duh moment, but you're top plate is upside down... How does that interact with your decklid grills?
I'm thinking it would be a problem with Konis, which have the adjuster tab sticking up above the top of the strut shaft.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2019 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
Had a duh moment, but you're top plate is upside down... How does that interact with your decklid grills?
I'm thinking it would be a problem with Konis, which have the adjuster tab sticking up above the top of the strut shaft.

The flipped hat mod helps retain as much suspension travel in compression as available. It works with all the fastback cars as the shaft is in the middle of the decklid vents. On the notchies, it only works on the 88's as the strut shaft placement is right between the decklid vent and the support structure for the decklid. You "can" do the modification on an 84-87 notchie, but you will need to drill the support structure of the decklid for additional clearance.

I have this flipped hat and Konis on the rear of my 88 Notchie, but my struts are also relocated 1" further inboard (which gives me more room). If the adjuster nub becomes an issue, you can add a washer or two to the bottom side of the bushing where the strut shaft sets, which will bring the top down slightly and help with clearance.

Note: the 84-87 strut towers have a smaller center opening in the strut tower and seems to have more variation in hole placement (about 1/8"). The raised bushing boss is tight fit to the 84 to 87 hole, so any hole mis-alignment will require some slotting of the mounting holes. The 88's have a larger center hole and a higher degree of bolt hole placement precision (likely due to the tight hole tolerance with the top ring bracket.)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock