Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Can a 3.8 GM V6 Eaton M90 L67 Super Charger be made to work with a 3.4 V6 GM Engine

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can a 3.8 GM V6 Eaton M90 L67 Super Charger be made to work with a 3.4 V6 GM Engine by canaman
Started on: 06-06-2017 12:52 AM
Replies: 10 (1484 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 06-13-2017 07:41 AM
canaman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2017 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canamanSend a Private Message to canamanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can a 3.8 GM V6 Series II Eaton M90 L67 Super Charger be made to work with a 3.4 V6 GM Engine

I was researching the internet on facts but could not find any real answer

I was thinking that the intake would need to have a bracket made to fit both the 3.4 V6 intake and the super charger / gasket

Any answers would be greatly appreciated Thankyou for your time

[This message has been edited by canaman (edited 06-06-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2017 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly it would probably just be best to use the 3.8. If it is possible by the time you got it all to work you will probably have spent way more than just getting the 3.8 to start with.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2017 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Honestly it would probably just be best to use the 3.8. If it is possible by the time you got it all to work you will probably have spent way more than just getting the 3.8 to start with.

I would tend to agree with this.

The supercharger is probably as wide as the entire Fiero lower intake. The only way I can think of to make it work would be to build a platform around the perimeter of the intake that the blower would bolt to. The injectors and fuel rail(s) would have to be under the blower, and that would expose them to all the heat that would be created by the blower compressing the air. (4.3 Chevy V6s have the injectors inside the intake plenum, but they don't have all that pressure and heat to contend with.)

You might look into this.
http://www.fageolsuperchargers.com/
It's a supercharger designed for the 2.8, as installed in an S10. It's designed to mount the TBI on top of the blower, however.
It's also a bit undersized for the 3.4, as designed. Would probably require a smaller pulley, and bunch of fabrication, to make it work.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2017 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nearly anything is possible, but is it worth the time, effort, and expense.

The 60 degree V6 is much narrower between the valve covers and the injectors are more centrally located. You could likely pull the upper plenum, make a rectangular box type plenum that will bolt to the middle intake, and the supercharger could bolt on top. However this will be much too tall to clear the rear decklid.

Another option is to divorce mount the supercharger with a bottom plate that will take the supercharger outlet and funnel it down to a round tube that could be routed to the stock fiero intake.

Both methods require a significant amount of metal fabrication. Unfortunately no one sells a bolt on kit.
Buck531

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Buck531Send a Private Message to Buck531Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything is possible.

Here's my friends DOHC 3.4 in a Monte with an M90 on top

------------------
03 Buick Regal. 13.0x @103
87 Fiero GT. L67, XP, Ported heads, SD headers, 3.2.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everybody will tell you it's a waste of time, not worth the cost, you can get more power from another engine, etc etc. That's why you should do it.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The short answer is yes, it can be done.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything can be done with enough money.

But, honestly you can do a turbo cheaper and have more fun. Easier to adjust boost levels.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're that worried about "bang for your buck", then you shouldn't be modding a Fiero. Just a thought.
Boot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BootSend a Private Message to BootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried this on my 2.8 quite a while ago. My original idea was to make a sort of dual-log manifold that bolted to the fiero middle intake, but left room for the injection stuff beneath it. This proved to be complicated, and to make it come out square eould have been a challenge. I ended up trading the supercharger for a turbo. The turbo turned out to be junk :P

However, I recently learned to weld aluminum, and then I had another idea that I think would work quite well. What if I were to take the stock fiero upper intake, shave down the ridges on a mill, then cut open the top of it, weld the original intake hole shut, and then weld another plate to the top thats drilled with the supercharger's bolt pattern? Id just have to make sure it lines up properly with the serpentine belt. But it would have a much higher likelihood of coming out nice and square, because its got way fewer pieces and aluminum tends to stay put when you weld it anyways

It would stick way out of the trunklid, but hey, youd have a supercharger so who cares

------------------

Originally posted by Frank2:

here's the goal: Build a mid engine car 1/2 as good as a Lotus Elise at 1/10 the cost.

I have no idea what Im doing, but Im doing it.

IG: @giveintogravity
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canaman:

Can a 3.8 GM V6 Series II Eaton M90 L67 Super Charger be made to work with a 3.4 V6 GM Engine

Food for thought : https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138645.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock