Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  2.8 Dual throttle body intake manifold question (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
2.8 Dual throttle body intake manifold question by Boot
Started on: 05-30-2017 10:46 AM
Replies: 42 (1886 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 03-15-2019 07:14 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Sorry, Boot! My comment was directed at Will who seems to think that anything over 135 rwhp is good for an iron head V6 engine... His comment seems more like an old snide remark to me. It puts me to sleep. I'm running a similar setup to theDrue w/10:1 compression but I'm currently using a Firebird 2.8 intake ported to 60mm. I converted to DIS via '7730 swap and tuned it myself.

A few people have driven my 'race' car and find the power kind of unbelievable because it's unexpected...I guess.

Nobody's doubted that the iron heads can make an amount of power. The Falconer engines made ~300 HP from 3 litres. Those were fully built race engines. Nowadays that's cam swap territory for a 3900.

And "the wall" of the stock Fiero intake manifold on a 3.4 is ~165 whp. The F-body 2.8 manifold is DIFFERENT, as you know, and has a larger cross section in the neck than the Fiero manifold, which has to bend around the distributor. Get rid of the Fiero manifold and the limitation goes up. Still doesn't mean that the iron heads are good bang for the buck or good bang per mod. After all, a STOCK 3900 will throw down >190 whp.

Do you have a class rules limitation that requires iron heads? I would not have expected such in a class that lets you run a 3.4 in a car that came with a 2.8...

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 03-14-2019).]

IP: Logged
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only rules are no NO2, valid registration, seat belt, helmet and tires with treadwear no lower than 100. Anything else goes.
I run my engine/car by choice.

As for "the iron head wall" it used to be 150rwhp... That's because most 3.4 swap still use the stock 1 7/8" exhaust that's restrictive even for a 2.8... When full swaps [of other engines] are done, they always include a larger and usually shorter exhaust system. Mine despite being 2.5" still uses the stock length+pattern w/Trueleo headers...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 03-15-2019).]

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/dayXz0arXZ0

I did 173whp @ 6000 RPM with my little 2.8 with my Supernatural Version 2 intake,
a hydraulic camshaft, ported heads and headers. The stock computer and an email chip. It needed lots
of tuning. If I had the Megasquirt back then I could've probably squeezed another 15-20 WHP.
So for me, I'd rather have one big plenum over two smaller ones.

theDrue, your car looks very nice!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock