Clutch won't disengage by JackyLee93
Started on: 05-29-2017 03:31 PM
Replies: 33 (869 views)
Last post by: JackyLee93 on 06-01-2017 03:19 PM
JackyLee93

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2017 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys new here. Got a 1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 with a 4spd Muncie.
Before you say it, yes I've gone through the steps to properly bleed the hydraulics and have looked everywhere for any explanation.
Got a new slave cylinder and brand new clutch kit in. I have movement from the slave cylinder and I'm not positive on the amount of travel but it certainly is doing what it's supposed to compared to the older one. My help is out of town so in the meantime I figured I'd try to dig here.

It just won't disengage the clutch. I'm clueless. Is there anything else that I'm missing? I put the clutch in correctly.
It will go into gear but only when it's off. Just grinds if you attempt 1st. With the wheels off the ground you can actually get it into 2nd and I get wheels turning.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2017 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No advise on the clutch, except maybe the disk is in backwards. Spinning the wheels with the car lifted anywhere but underneath the rear control arms can damage the tri-pot on the axles.
JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2017 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

No advise on the clutch, except maybe the disk is in backwards. Spinning the wheels with the car lifted anywhere but underneath the rear control arms can damage the tri-pot on the axles.

Yeah I didn't spin them a whole lot. Just briefly testing.
When I put the disc in I had the springs and stuff facing towards the transaxle.
When I depress the clutch pedal it I hear what sounds like a very subtle hissing noise from the clutch area.
Not sure if that's good or not.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2017 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe the throwout bearing is backwards.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-29-2017).]

JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2017 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Maybe the throwout bearing is backwards.

Which end? The bigger one is the one I have facing the clutch.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2017 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the correct end.
JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

That's the correct end.

Then I have all the parts in there correctly.
There's not supposed to be a pilot bearing either right?
When I time the old one out it didn't have one.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's probably a hydraulic issue. How far does the slave push-rod move. Don't guess... measure it.
JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

It's probably a hydraulic issue. How far does the slave push-rod move. Don't guess... measure it.

From what point do you measure it?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JackyLee93:

When the clutch pedal is put to the floor, you need to know how far the slave cylinder is actually pushing the push-rod out... which in turn is moving the clutch lever.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pick a point on the slave. The mounting flange, the end of the slave housing, the bleeder valve, etc. Measure to the point where the pushrod fits into the transmission clutch release lever. Then have someone depress the clutch pedal all the way and take the same measurement. Subtract the difference and you should have the travel distance. A minimum of 1 inch is required.
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the slave is bolted up right, I have seen an 84 be off one bolt and do the same thing.
JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Make sure the slave is bolted up right, I have seen an 84 be off one bolt and do the same thing.

Yeah the most peculiar I thing is that when I took the old one off there was only one bolt holding it to the bracket and it was closer. When I got the new slave I got a matching bolt and went ahead and bolted it the way I saw it was supposed to.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next thing to check is the push rod. The previous owner may have jury-rigged the slave to compensate for the wrong one.
JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Next thing to check is the push rod. The previous owner may have jury-rigged the slave to compensate for the wrong one.

Well I have a new slave cylinder in there so it came with a new pushrod.
The master cylinder, if it's not performing like it should despite looking brand new, would that cause this kind of issue?
Should I replace the master cylinder?

I did just measure the travel and it looks like only 9/16 of an inch of travel. I've tried everything to bleed this sucker.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did just measure the travel and it looks like only 9/16 of an inch of travel.

Well, that's why your clutch isn't disengaging.

Maker sure your clutch pedal and/or the banjo isn't bent. If it is, there won't be enough master cylinder travel before the pedal hits the floor.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-30-2017).]

JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maker sure your clutch pedal and/or the banjo isn't bent. If it is, there won't be enough master cylinder travel before the pedal hits the floor.

That should be easy to see I'm assuming if I get underneath. I did replace the pedal cause it was bent. But I didn't observe the banjo. Wasn't really sure what it was since I'm new to fieros. But I have heard of it.
JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JackyLee93

21 posts
Member since May 2017

Okay I checked that part and that came with the new pedal I ordered from the Fiero Store.
*note* When I push the pedal all the way I hear a noise toward the end when the pedal hits the end. It's coming from the pushrod area on the master.
Is this a problem?
*edit* It sorta sounds like seizing or rubbing of some sort....not sure how to describe it but it's definitely coming from the pushrod of the master.

[This message has been edited by JackyLee93 (edited 05-30-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When I push the pedal all the way I hear a noise toward the end when the pedal hits the end. It's coming from the pushrod area on the master.
Is this a problem?

Did you mount the loop of the banjo up or down?

And where does your clutch pedal sit in relation to the brake pedal? Higher... lower?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-30-2017).]

JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you mount the loop of the banjo up or down?

And where does your clutch pedal sit in relation to the brake pedal? Higher... lower?

I think the banjo is sitting the right way. Not sure how it'd be up or down.
As far as the relation to the brake pedal the clutch pedal sits just about even with it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As far as the relation to the brake pedal the clutch pedal sits just about even with it.

The clutch pedal should be sitting about an inch higher than the brake pedal.

I think the banjo is sitting the right way. Not sure how it'd be up or down.

So you can't see two ways to mount this?

PFF
System Bot
JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you can't see two ways to mount this?

Okay hang on lemme show some pics
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/...kIUTlNevDg7-U2KB9KOa
I'm guessing the way that looks, it's down?

[This message has been edited by JackyLee93 (edited 05-31-2017).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it's down.

JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

it's down.

And from what I've read it should be up?
My mechanic must not know much bout Fieros or is mildly blind.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My mechanic must not know much bout Fieros...

At some point you'll come to the realization that to own a Fiero (or probably any older car), you need to do the work on it yourself.
JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

At some point you'll come to the realization that to own a Fiero (or probably any older car), you need to do the work on it yourself.

Aye. Well I'm not giving up on it yet. Hence why I came here to hear from actual Fiero owners.

So all I need to do is flip that pushrod? Then proceed to properly bleed the system again?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So all I need to do is flip that pushrod? Then proceed to properly bleed the system again?

I never said that's "all" you need to do. Your clutch pedal still needs to be sitting 1" above your brake pedal for there to be enough travel before it hits the floor. You need to find out why it isn't sitting higher than it is. Bent pedal? Bent banjo? Short banjo? I've even read of the clutch lockout switch (or whatever it's called) preventing the clutch pedal from fully returning to the top of its travel.

JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I never said that's "all" you need to do. Your clutch pedal still needs to be sitting 1" above your brake pedal for there to be enough travel before it hits the floor. You need to find out why it isn't sitting higher than it is. Bent pedal? Bent banjo? Short banjo? I've even read of the clutch lockout switch (or whatever it's called) preventing the clutch pedal from fully returning to the top of its travel.

Alright. I'm gonna look at it tomorrow and see what I can do with the info you've provided. The lockout switch is there but it's wire is grounded anyways so that switch is sorta pointless to have there besides for safety.
By the way how do you tell if the banjo is short?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The banjo will control the pedal position. If it is short, your pedal will be too low....it should not be pushed up to the stop, but close......perhaps half an inch from it's max 'up' position.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Disconnect it from the pedal and see how much higher the pedal can be raised.
JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Disconnect it from the pedal and see how much higher the pedal can be raised.

Okay thanks you guys. I'll check it in the morning and get back to you asap.
PFF
System Bot
JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2017 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The banjo will control the pedal position. If it is short, your pedal will be too low....it should not be pushed up to the stop, but close......perhaps half an inch from it's max 'up' position.

Okay so I went ahead and removed the pushrod to see how much further the pedal would go and it wasn't much thanks to the lockout switch.
So I removed the switch from the pedal and I could get the pedal to go a bit pass the brake pedal.
I see a small difference between before and after. Banjo is facing right way now.
Not positive if this will make a difference but I guess I'll do some more gravity bleeding and find out.
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2017 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I installed a new slave cylinder I vacuum bled my clutch then used a speed bleeder in the slave with the clutch arm blocked so it couldn't move to get the last bit of air out.

Here's a link to V8 Archies clutch bleeding method.

http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/ToC6.htm

Rodney has a slave bleeding tool also that may help.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=61&products_id=67

http://rodneydickman.com/ca....php?products_id=280
JackyLee93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2017 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackyLee93Send a Private Message to JackyLee93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

When I installed a new slave cylinder I vacuum bled my clutch then used a speed bleeder in the slave with the clutch arm blocked so it couldn't move to get the last bit of air out.

Here's a link to V8 Archies clutch bleeding method.

http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/ToC6.htm

Rodney has a slave bleeding tool also that may help.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=61&products_id=67

http://rodneydickman.com/ca....php?products_id=280

You know I actually thought about getting some of those tools.
But I'm on a tight budget.
Anyways when I get a clear day off and no rain, I'm going to try bleeding it according to Archie's guide again with the adjustments I made so far.
I'll let you guys know if I run into issues again.
Again I'm grateful for all of your inputs.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock