Trunk release and light not working by NCTyphoonKid
Started on: 04-24-2017 09:43 PM
Replies: 13 (638 views)
Last post by: NCTyphoonKid on 11-27-2018 06:55 PM
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2017 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My trunk release and light haven't worked on my car since I got it back I've cleaned the connector by the c500 I'm sure it something simple and I'm over looking something but does anyone have any ideas why the release and light aren't working
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2017 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming it has the light switch on the latch, look at the right deck hinge area and locate the wires coming out of the deck lid. There should be a 4 wire harness connection. Be sure it's properly connected to the chassis harness. Both light and solenoid power run through that harness.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2017 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Assuming it has the light switch on the latch, look at the right deck hinge area and locate the wires coming out of the deck lid. There should be a 4 wire harness connection. Be sure it's properly connected to the chassis harness. Both light and solenoid power run through that harness.

I will double check that connection. I unplugged it and cleaned the terminals this evening to no avail
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the wiring to the truck release switch. I had a break near the switch I had trace out to find.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I remember correctly the trunk release circuit goes through a switch on the e-brake handle so that the release only works when break is on. Might want to check that area.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That wouldn't affect the trunk light, though.

Using a test light or multimeter, you can probe the chassis harness connection I mentioned to see if you have constant power to them. I remember that the black wire at one side is the trunk release. It will only have power when the release switch is depressed and the Ebrake is set. The trunk light should be full time power. One of the wires is power and another is ground for the light.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2017 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will check the wires in the next couple days I'll have to pick up a multi meter. It used to work great I'll also look and see if I can find any breaks in the wires
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2017 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

If I remember correctly the trunk release circuit goes through a switch on the e-brake handle so that the release only works when break is on. Might want to check that area.

only on manual cars - not on cars with automatics.

Check that the rear decklid has a good ground.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2018 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old thread I know, do have a update. I finally got a chance to check the harness for power and I’ve got nothing. Any ideas?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How it works on most Fiero...
See my Cave, Trunk Release

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

How it works on most Fiero...
See my Cave, Trunk Release

Thank you, i will start checking over things tonight maybe the relay is bad
PFF
System Bot
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NCTyphoonKid

1277 posts
Member since Jun 2008
Tested the trunk light it works. Swapped the relay, didn’t work going to try some more troubleshooting
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NCTyphoonKid

1277 posts
Member since Jun 2008
I removed the solenoid from the latched and jumped it, it works. I ran a wire form the latch to a good ground and now the trunk releases by the switch. Seems the deck lid isn’t grounding good. Any ideas on what to check now
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2018 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally after rereading the info in the cave I figured out that it’s actually grounded through the latch. I removed the latch from the deck lid and hit it with a wire brush in a couple areas and the latch in the trunk also. All is fine now, thank you ogre!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock