Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  4.9 oil filter housing o-rings question....

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
4.9 oil filter housing o-rings question.... by MadProfessor8138
Started on: 02-11-2017 09:26 PM
Replies: 29 (490 views)
Last post by: MadProfessor8138 on 02-20-2017 07:51 PM
MadProfessor8138

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2017 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know where I can buy the o-rings that go in the oil filter housing?
Are they a dealer only item?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2017 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought some from a dealership about 6 years ago. I think you will find them there.

Jack
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2017 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadProfessor8138:

Does anyone know where I can buy the o-rings that go in the oil filter housing?
Are they a dealer only item?

You can buy a decent filter for $3-$4 that has the ring on them. Why would you need to buy the ring as a separate item? Not a commonly available part and it may cost 1/2 the price of the filter. If you lost the ring check the one from the filter that you removed . In many cases that ring will still be good and provide a seal.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2017 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
You can buy a decent filter for $3-$4 that has the ring on them. Why would you need to buy the ring as a separate item? Not a commonly available part and it may cost 1/2 the price of the filter. If you lost the ring check the one from the filter that you removed . In many cases that ring will still be good and provide a seal.

I am pretty sure he is looking for the 2 small O-rings that go between the block and oil filter housing, not the single large O-ring between the oil filter housing and the oil filter.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2017 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jack....nice to hear from you.
I've not had any luck through the parts stores so I'm assuming that the o-rings are a stealership only item.
I'm going to make some calls tomorrow to see what I can find.
I sure don't want to spend $135 for a head gasket set just to get 2 o-rings.

Dennis...... I don't need the o-ring for the oil filter.
The o-rings that I need go in the bottom of the oil filter housing and seal it to the engine block.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2017 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadProfessor8138

351 posts
Member since May 2015
Fieroguru.....you are correct.
They seem to be a stealership only item.
Will make some calls tomorrow to find out if I can buy them separately.....
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2017 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieroguru.....you are correct.
They seem to be a stealership only item.
Will make some calls tomorrow to find out if I can buy them separately.....

If you have the old O-Rings, take them to a NAPA store and they can probably match them up for you. At my local NAPA store they had boxes of O ring assortments available to match 100's of sizes.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2017 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis.....I wish it was that simple but they are not a standard o-ring.
There are 2 of them with different diameters and they are both probably close to 3/8 " thick.
Not standard by any means....
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Print may be a misleading description, as they look more like pieces of tubing with rounded ends.

Think barrel shaped......
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've called upwards of 25 - 30 parts stores,dealerships and speed shops up to 300 miles away today......
Out of all the calls only 1 place says they might have them....but they aren't for sure.
This part has been discontinued according to everyone that I have spoke with today.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Print may be a misleading description, as they look more like pieces of tubing with rounded ends.

Think barrel shaped......

Should have known better. Those are the grommet shaped oil seals that fit into the housing. Its all pointing to dealer. Try GM parts direct.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dorman make kits etc w/ big o-ring for filter sealing.
Try Keyword - filter gasket

Likely not cheaper then dealer.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theogre.....thanks for the info,will try their live chat with a tech tomorrow to see if they have them.
One dealership in Louisville said that he had them in stock but I'm doubting that he has the correct parts because I had literally 20 other places tell me that they are a discontinued item and that they couldn't get them ,while he told me that he had the parts in stock and they weren't discontinued...price was $6 each.
At this point,I'm dead in the water until I can locate the o-rings/grommets/seals.....so,while $6 a piece would generally offend me......I'm gonna consider it a bargain and be grateful if he has the correct parts.
Bet I pick up 2 sets.....lol

[This message has been edited by MadProfessor8138 (edited 02-13-2017).]

J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I an in Louisville, what dealership, part number, and I will try and go check them out for you.

Jack
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the offer Jack but I made it down there this morning.....Brown Brothers on 4th St.
As I suspected.....they didn't have the right part.
He did give me the number to the dealership up in Florence that had two in stock....they bought the old stock from a few dealerships that have closed.
Called them up and ordered them....they are shipping to my house.
I'm hoping they are the right ones.

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadProfessor8138

351 posts
Member since May 2015
Surely there must be an aftermarket source for these o-rings......if not,then everyone with the 4.9's will be in a world of hurt eventually.
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you get over near the La Grange area let me know and stop by or we can grab a cup of coffee some place.

Jack
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2017 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jack......PM sent to you.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2017 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I re-used my o-rings. Cleaned them with oil based paint thinner so they swell a bit. Let them dry. Then add some black rtv gasket maker to ensure a good seal. Still working fine 5 years later
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2017 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately,the previous owner didn't put the o-rings back in the engine so I've had to locate new parts....
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2017 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Unfortunately,the previous owner didn't put the o-rings back in the engine so I've had to locate new parts....

If you know someone who can look up the GM Part number for you, an online search might turn up the parts. Getting specific parts for these old 4.9L engines is getting harder. At this point in time most Cadillac owners have scraped the car because it is old. Head to the u-pull it junkyards and you will find the parts that you need. The junkyards are full of old 4.9L Cadillac's and even whole engines are selling on the cheap.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

PFF
System Bot
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2017 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the offer Jack but I made it down there this morning.....Brown Brothers on 4th St.
As I suspected.....they didn't have the right part.
He did give me the number to the dealership up in Florence that had two in stock....they bought the old stock from a few dealerships that have closed.
Called them up and ordered them....they are shipping to my house.
I'm hoping they are the right ones.

when you receive them, can you post the GM part number?

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2017 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis........the dealership in Louisville that swore he had the right part,well,he didn't.
But he did have the appropriate part number and the phone number of a dealership in northern Kentucky that did have the parts in stock.
The only reason that the northern Kentucky dealership had the parts is due to the fact that they bought the inventory from a few dealerships that had closed.
I got the last 2 o-rings that he had and he will never have that part in inventory again.
That part has been discontinued........it's extinct.
Unless someone gets lucky like I did....or can find an aftermarket supply for this item.....we are S.O.L for this part now.

When I got home tonight I had a FedEx package waiting for me......2 brand new o-rings.
Olejoedad said they appear to be the correct parts...I will know for sure this weekend when I get back in the garage.

From studying my oil filter housing and the o-rings,I believe I have a solution to the problem of having to find this part again.....I'm going to test a theory this weekend to see if this particular o-ring setup can be eliminated.

In the meantime.......does anyone have an aftermarket source for this part?
The GM part # is 1637565 and it is referred to as a (gasket) on the package.

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2017 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadProfessor8138

351 posts
Member since May 2015
Stickpony.....just posted the Genuine GM part number at the end of my previous reply.

Can anyone find an aftermarket supply for these?
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2017 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 on eBay right now. eBay often pulls through once you get a part number or proper identification.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2017 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ebay is a good source for parts but it isn't reliable,you are at the mercy of someone posting items for sale.
I hope that someone can find a reliable source for this part number.
Surely there's a company that offers these aftermarket.......
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2017 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadProfessor8138

351 posts
Member since May 2015
With all of the 4.9 conversions,I can't be the first / only one that has been confronted by this issue.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2017 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A price of $25 and $29 for a single oil seal grommet on eBay. I'd head to the junkyards rather than buy from this gouger. He can shove em up his azz for that price.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2017 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine cost a little less that $5 apiece from the dealer.....
The price the seller is asking for these parts is a reflection of the comment I made about ebay...

[This message has been edited by MadProfessor8138 (edited 02-17-2017).]

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have suggestions for an aftermarket source of this part?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock