steering axis inclination, and included angle by guitarfreak235
Started on: 02-03-2017 12:30 AM
Replies: 12 (687 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 02-10-2017 10:15 AM
guitarfreak235

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2017 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for guitarfreak235Send a Private Message to guitarfreak235Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is very technical so here goes nothing.

I am trying to calculate what camber my wheels are at at a given toe (steering angle the wheels at) to assess whether i want more caster or not on my 88 gt. (I'm a Mechanical Engineering student so I love to get technical with things)

I have the equation to calculate it just dont know what the fieros steering axis inclination is supposed to be? its supposed to be (included angle - camber) where included angle is the angle between the steeting axis and the hub face (plane of rotation of wheels).

Its as follows:

Sin(C)=(Cos(Co)-Cos(C)Cos(T))Tan(S)-Cos(C)Sin(T)Tan(K)+Sin(Co)

IA=S+Co

Where

C=Camber
Co=Camber at 0 toe. (straight ahead)
k= caster
S=STEERING AXIS INCLINATION
T=Toe (Relative to straight ahead)
IA=INCLUDED ANGLE

All I need is steering axis inclination or Included angle. Included angle is literally just the angle between the steering axis and the hub face.

...anyone?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KMFDMFAN

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2017 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KMFDMFANSend a Private Message to KMFDMFANEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like turtles...
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2017 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With my 85 SE V6 I went from the stock 3-3.5 up to the max which is approx' 5 on the caster.......The steering did NOT get any heavier and it self centers a bit better...and the front sticks a little better in turns- I also added the newer-style BJs that allow some real camber adjustment...I have them all the way in at the moment but when I get everything done I plan on getting a complete new alignment. I also have the 88 rear subframe/suspension. You can try it and see how it feels....Set it back if you don't like it.

A number of cars- especially British sportscars- Have up to 7* caster....
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2017 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uuuuuuuuugggghhhhh,Houston.......WE HAVE A PROBLEM.....
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2017 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Courtesy of Bloozberry:

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2017 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The steering axis is defined by the two ball joints. More specifically, the center of the ball in each ball joint. I would suggest you find a junk upper and lower ball joint, and slice them in half (Dremel?) in order to extract the stud and ball part of each joint. Take a flat piece of plywood, drill some holes in it to accommodate the hub sitting flat on it, then place the knuckle and bearing assembly on the plywood. Install the ball joint stubs into the knuckle. Measure the distances between the balls and the plywood. Presumably, you'll also need to know the distance from the hub face to the steering axis, so you'll get that info as well from the above test.

Obviously, share your findings if you take measurements.

Otherwise, use the search function, the info may be available, but how confident will you be in its accuracy compared to measured values?

Also, you can buy magnetic stick-on inclinometers. I use it to set the camber (roughly) as it was prior to disassembly when bolting a knuckle back onto a MacPherson strut car. The inclinometer has accelerometers and measures the direction of the gravity vector. Take out the spring, support the suspension by a floor jack (go up in increments of suspension compression), stick the inclinometer on the hub face, and start measuring camber!

Another approach if your Fiero is running is to drive the car, then decide if you want more or less caster, based on your feeling. Geometry/math doesn't mean a thing unless you can relate the numbers to what you feel behind the wheel.
hoddy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2017 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any decent wheel alignment machine should give you all those figures.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2017 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So did you get your answer Guitarfreak? Is Steering Axis and Kingpin Axis the same thing?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-04-2017).]

guitarfreak235

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2017 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for guitarfreak235Send a Private Message to guitarfreak235Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Courtesy of Bloozberry:

YESSS!!! that kingpin angle is Included Angle (IA) I wanted. IA=(SAI+CAMBER@0) so SAI=(IA-Camber@0)

I'll be back with some results

[This message has been edited by guitarfreak235 (edited 02-09-2017).]

guitarfreak235

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2017 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for guitarfreak235Send a Private Message to guitarfreak235Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

guitarfreak235

103 posts
Member since May 2013
Sorry i've been slow everyone Im always busy with school, heres a diagram to explain SAI and IA in relation to camber. sorry the background sucks in the first pic. the second is easier to see but the references to positive or negative SAI in the second diagram are NOT TALKING ABOUT ANGLE IN DEGREES. ignore those labels for now.

guitarfreak235

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2017 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for guitarfreak235Send a Private Message to guitarfreak235Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

guitarfreak235

103 posts
Member since May 2013
Ok, so over christmas break I basically did a mechanical restoration of my suspension and steering components, among a few other things

This included (not in order):
new tires
alignment
rodney dickman shift cables/shifter rebuild/select arm rebuild/short shifter
new upper and lower ball joints
new front poly control arm bushings (replaced worn poly ones)/ rodney dickman rear suspension link bushings
new spring pads all around
new shocks and struts (slightly stiffer than stock) (with new bump stops/boots/and strut plates)
front and rear poly sway bar bushings and rodney dickman solid end links
new steering rack passenger side bushing (rodney) plus inner/outer tie rods
new master and slave cylinder for the clutch
( have new engine/trans mounts,brake master cylinder, window guides/dew wipes that I need to put on, just havent had time...)

...whew I think that covers it. needless to say it drives like a completely different vehicle.

some pics

heres before and after alignment (they got rear toe wrong... ugh)
it should be noted that i requested an extra -.5 degree of camber all around, then maximize castor

so with my camber at -.5 my SAI should be (6-(-.5)) which is 6.5 degrees. now I should have everything I need to plug into that beast of an equation.

I should be able to make an excel spreadsheet, where fiero owners could enter their current alignment specs and know their camber at a given steering angle.
Additionally, I could solve for camber at a given steering angle(toe), and see the effects DIFFERING CASTER ANGLES have on camber AT THE SAME STEERING ANGLE. This was my original intention for figuring all of this out.

People love to talk about adding camber, but castor causes the camber of BOTH wheels to lean correctly in turns (not just the outside tire). (Ever seen the way wheels are leaning when parked at full lock?) plus the fact it aids in self centering, and wont wear out tires like camber..... food for thought

[This message has been edited by guitarfreak235 (edited 02-10-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
guitarfreak235

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2017 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for guitarfreak235Send a Private Message to guitarfreak235Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

guitarfreak235

103 posts
Member since May 2013

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

The steering axis is defined by the two ball joints. More specifically, the center of the ball in each ball joint. I would suggest you find a junk upper and lower ball joint, and slice them in half (Dremel?) in order to extract the stud and ball part of each joint. Take a flat piece of plywood, drill some holes in it to accommodate the hub sitting flat on it, then place the knuckle and bearing assembly on the plywood. Install the ball joint stubs into the knuckle. Measure the distances between the balls and the plywood. Presumably, you'll also need to know the distance from the hub face to the steering axis, so you'll get that info as well from the above test.

Obviously, share your findings if you take measurements.

Otherwise, use the search function, the info may be available, but how confident will you be in its accuracy compared to measured values?

Also, you can buy magnetic stick-on inclinometers. I use it to set the camber (roughly) as it was prior to disassembly when bolting a knuckle back onto a MacPherson strut car. The inclinometer has accelerometers and measures the direction of the gravity vector. Take out the spring, support the suspension by a floor jack (go up in increments of suspension compression), stick the inclinometer on the hub face, and start measuring camber!

Another approach if your Fiero is running is to drive the car, then decide if you want more or less caster, based on your feeling. Geometry/math doesn't mean a thing unless you can relate the numbers to what you feel behind the wheel.

Luckily that diagram with the kingpin angle saved me from all of that (lol)

"Another approach if your Fiero is running is to drive the car, then decide if you want more or less caster, based on your feeling. Geometry/math doesn't mean a thing unless you can relate the numbers to what you feel behind the wheel"

You are EXACTLY correct. I just want to do BOTH that way I can relate the changes in feel that I notice to the objective changes in geometry that occured.

BTW I am in love with the way the car feels now. (Its my daily)

[This message has been edited by guitarfreak235 (edited 02-10-2017).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2017 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why is it called 'Kingpin Angle?'....you may ask. Well, here is a little history.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-10-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock