Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Need help with 3800SC Series III with Northstar Throttle Body MAF sensor. How? Where?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Need help with 3800SC Series III with Northstar Throttle Body MAF sensor. How? Where? by JohnWPB
Started on: 12-31-2016 07:15 PM
Replies: 9 (734 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 01-04-2017 03:59 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2016 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am almost finished with my swap, and can not get the engine to run. I have 90 PSI fuel pressure before the regulator, and reading 52 PSI on the fuel rail. All the specks I have found for the Series III engine say that 50-55 PSI fuel pressure is idea. The plugs are all new, and gapped to specs, Plug wire routing has been checked multiple times. I was at wits end trying to figure out what was wrong.

It was then that Mile O. (Cant think of his screen name) told me that he had the same problem. He said the intake could not be "open air", and a MAF had to be installed for the engine to run. The Northstar throttle body does not have one built in, and he said I have to get one from an old Chevy pickup or something.

I need a part number, make, model, year ect. to get one.

Also, there are so many tutorials on engine swaps, yet I have not seen anything on how to handle the intake. Will the Fiero filter housing work, if I adapt a tube/pipe from that to the intake? I have a K & N air filter in it now. Is this too restrictive, or should it work. Also, how and where should the MAF sensor be mounted to get the correct reading?

Any help is, as always, very much appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Chris Eddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2016 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris EddySend a Private Message to Chris EddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PCM setup?
Does the engine start at all?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2016 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most people use the Northstar MAF and locate it right in front of the Northstar throttle body.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2017 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Most people use the Northstar MAF and locate it right in front of the Northstar throttle body.

Popular upgrades are also the early LS1 and LQ4 MAF sensors. Just be aware that by changing the TB and the MAF the flow rate outputs will change. As a starting point the MAF table from the particular sensor that you are using must be imported into the program. Later some tweaks to the fueling will be needed to match the new TPS voltage readings.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 01-01-2017).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2017 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the help. My wiring harness was done by FIEROFLYER. The PCM was programmed for the Series III with A/C and the 4T65HD when I got it. I just PM'd him to see if there is a particular one that he had set up the PCM for.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2017 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PCM is usually programmed for the Year so I assume you have 99+ MAF programmed unless you specifically asked for a LT1 or LQ4 MAF programming to use with the N* TB.
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2017 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LQ4 is the MAF of choice for most and the one I tune for unless told otherwise.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

LQ4 is the MAF of choice for most and the one I tune for unless told otherwise.

Thanks for the info... LQ4 is not a part number is it? I did some Googling, and came up with this: Silverado MAF
Will this one work?

It's not the easiest thing to find, as I can not look up an 86 Fiero, a Series III 3800, OR a Cadillac Northstar to find the part........

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Thanks for the info... LQ4 is not a part number is it? I did some Googling, and came up with this: Silverado MAF
Will this one work?

It's not the easiest thing to find, as I can not look up an 86 Fiero, a Series III 3800, OR a Cadillac Northstar to find the part........

Yes, that looks correct. ZZP has them too as you may need a throttle cable bracket if you don't already have it.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

PCM is usually programmed for the Year so I assume you have 99+ MAF programmed unless you specifically asked for a LT1 or LQ4 MAF programming to use with the N* TB.

If the 3800 MAF used matches the PCM year for that engine then I would agree all is good. Here it appears that the OP wants to upgrade but I am not certain of this. If so it should be remembered that all model year 3800 MAF sensors do not use the same frequency/flow table. The series III's in-line sensors tend to be very different. The LQ4 , LS1 (early) and N* MAF sensor are all unique and require a different table in the program. The PCM can be programmed to work with them but changes are required.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 01-04-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock