Bondo Glass vs. Evercoat by airwrench
Started on: 12-27-2016 07:18 AM
Replies: 12 (1306 views)
Last post by: cswillson on 01-22-2017 07:23 PM
airwrench

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2016 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for airwrenchSend a Private Message to airwrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a few small chips missing out of the roof panel on my 88. No cracks through the panels - mostly smaller than dime sized. From reading it appears that Evercoat 870, Vette glass repair/glue is a good filler to use. From experience, I like to buy a small fresh can of stuff and do the repair, and then not feel bad about it drying out later. Evercoat is not easily sourced locally, and is around $50/quart shipped.

Anybody have any experience on a Fiero roof with Bondo Glass? It seems like a similar product, short fiber filler, to the Evercoat. 3M says it works on SMC and Walmart has small cans for $11.

I've read some folks comments on just using plain old Bondo - but since it is a roof and will take the brunt of solar heating I'd like to make sure expansion rates of the SMC and the repairs are as similar as possible.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2016 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don`t use regular Bondo.
SMC has a release agent that requires that you use a product specifically made for it.
I use Evercoat but you are right, it`s not cheap stuff.
Then again, I would rather use a proven product than have it fail later or not apply as well.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2016 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For small, not too deep, damage I've just put some Evercoat panel adhesive (no glass) into the ding, let it go off then sanded it flat.
Glass adds structural strength but for small damage you really don't need it.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2016 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i've used Evercoat SMC Vette panel adhesive before and some of the other Evercoat products too. this link has some data on the specialty fillers.

http://www.evercoat.com/ima...pecialty-Fillers.pdf

The SMC dries very hard, it takes a lot of sanding if you put it on thick.

Rob
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2016 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do NOT use "bondo glas"s ! Evercoat "spotting putty" with hardener will not dry out IF when you put the lid back on, "Store it" UPSIDE DOWN. I will stay like new for years !
Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
West systems epoxy is what I would use. They have small patch kits that would work well.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2016 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bondoglass is just Bondo brand name thats their knock off of Duraglass. For a long term repair, I use SMC specific filler. I havent had to buy any Bondoglass lately, or Duraglass because I use it for rust repairs. Last time I bought it was Autozone for like $15-20 @ quart. $50+ buys a gallon.

Its still that price according to their website.

If your going to pay $50 for a quart, let me know and Ill sell it to you for $10 off each by the truckload.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-29-2016).]

airwrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2016 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for airwrenchSend a Private Message to airwrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alrighty - I just found Bondo Bumper repair kit - which is an epoxy based adhesive/filler. Comes in a nice small dual syringe at .3 oz. Locally available. I'm going to give this a try and see what happens.

My research showed Evercoat Vette adhesive and US Chemicals Pro-glass to be similar products, unfortunately neither are readily available, although the USC stuff seems to be a little less expensive at around $30/quart vs. $50 for the Evercoat.

Wish they made a small kit of either.

Thanks for all the input!
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2016 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by airwrench:

Alrighty - I just found Bondo Bumper repair kit - which is an epoxy based adhesive/filler. Comes in a nice small dual syringe at .3 oz. Locally available. I'm going to give this a try and see what happens.

My research showed Evercoat Vette adhesive and US Chemicals Pro-glass to be similar products, unfortunately neither are readily available, although the USC stuff seems to be a little less expensive at around $30/quart vs. $50 for the Evercoat.

Wish they made a small kit of either.

Thanks for all the input!

Yeah... that's the wrong shtuff.
You need a product made specifically for SMC. I use the Evercoat - it's expensive for a reason - it's the best.
Grind the chips out with a 24 grit disc, fill with the Evercoat, sand smooth starting with 40 grit on a block & finish with 80 grit. Feather the paint around the repair with 180 on a DA. Prime & block like any other repair.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2017 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"
My research showed Evercoat Vette adhesive and US Chemicals Pro-glass to be similar products, unfortunately neither are readily available, although the USC stuff seems to be a little less expensive at around $30/quart vs. $50 for the Evercoat."

I dont know where your getting your prices from. These prices below are for GALLONS, and quarts are a lot less. You can get any of these fillers, including SMC from Ecklers corvettes and CorvetteAmerica.com and shipped directly to you.

Autozone Bondoglass
http://www.autozone.com/pai...sIgnoreVehicle=false

Evercoat glass filler
https://www.amazon.com/Ever...Gallon/dp/B000Q8EJEY

(i put in Ecklers direct link and it keep redirecting the link to RicksCamaro) so go to Ecklers on your own.)

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-03-2017).]

airwrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2017 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for airwrenchSend a Private Message to airwrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright - y'all convinced me to get a quart of the SMC specific stuff. I don't mind the prices or the ordering/delivery time - I've just thrown away too many mostly full cans of garage stock that's not usable for one reason or another. So I try to buy minimum quantities - I'd rather pay more /unit. My favorite is when a full can of aerosol stuff stops spraying

I'll try the suggestion above to store the can upside down. Sounds like a good idea - maybe the material drifts down and seals the lid effectively.

I did finally find one local body supply store that stocks Evercoat. Kind of surprising that nobody else stocked it given how many Corvette enthusiasts seem to be around here. It was $61/qt. Roger, your links for the gallons are great - typical case of the internet providing way too much for less money.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2017 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Being in the business for 50 years, I hate to see hobbyists and amatures getting ripped off on prices. The SMC filler is the best choice...the others you thought about are acceptable, but not the best or longest lasting. I agree too that manufacturers should make smaller portions like tubes or even pints of material available. Ive thrown out clear that went bad after only using half of it so I know where your coming from. As for paint itself, being a professional shop, I can order as little as 1/4 pint of a base color for a small repair. Its nice fixing like a scratch or door ding with using less than $20 of material. I can pass that on to customers.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-05-2017).]

cswillson

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cswillsonSend a Private Message to cswillsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keeping expensive products as a hobby user is frustrating. In the body shops I've managed we always had a refrigerator to keep two part paints that had been mixed and leftover from a job - just in case. I've continued that for years after retiring and have had good results. Never tried it for fillers but it might be worth a shot. I once had a pint of mixed paint that sat for a year in the fridge. I banged up a Jeep I'd rebuilt and for giggles used the year old mixed paint. Warmed it up, sprayed it and five years later you can't see the repair.

Keep chemicals cold and in constant conditions and they will survive for quite a while.

------------------
FWIW, YMMV, EIEIO
'86 SE, '95 XJ6, '73 C104

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock