Engine swap, simplest with most power by pop
Started on: 11-27-2016 06:06 PM
Replies: 14 (745 views)
Last post by: tomsablon on 12-04-2016 03:43 AM
pop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SO been gone for awhile, PLEASE catch me up on what is the easiest engine swap into '87 GT 5sp, that will give me more power??
Should I think about 3500 or 3900 and what all has to be changed??

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your topic asks two questions that can't get just one solution.

The easiest swap is the 93-95 3.4 V6. About 20 more HP. An LS series may give the most power gain but it isn't easy of cheap.

Edit to say that the only work beyond just swapping 2.8 engines is that with a 3.4 you would need to drill and tap for the starter to be located on the left side and swap location of the temperature gauge sending unit located on the right end of the forward head and the pipe plug located on the left end of the rearward head. All Fiero engine parts swap directly onto the 3.4.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-28-2016).]

TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The easiest/most powerful compromise would be the 3800sc. It is extremely well documented and all parts are available. It's also probably the most reliable.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2016 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would agree that the 3800SC is the best swap for the work, 240-260 horsepower and about 280 ft lbs of torque. However, the Cadillac 4.9L is IMO the easiest and less costly swap providing 200HP and 275 ft lbs of torque. Both will provide about the same hwy mileage.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2016 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simplest, with most power, is paying someone else to do all the hard work, and just dropping a 650 HP Gen V LT4 crate motor in using Archie's LSx kit with a G6 F40 manual trans. But that will cost around $30K total.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Would agree that the 3800SC is the best swap for the work, 240-260 horsepower and about 280 ft lbs of torque. However, the Cadillac 4.9L is IMO the easiest and less costly swap providing 200HP and 275 ft lbs of torque. Both will provide about the same hwy mileage.

X2. And the 4.9 just sounds so aggressive. Real car guys that normally wouldn't look twice at a fiero will often do a double take when they hear it fire up
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 4.9 with an Allante intake. It sounds wonderful, and looks impressive sitting in the engine bay. But at ~220 HP, it's pretty much done.
About all that can be done (bolt-on) to increase performance is an Allante intake. And those intakes are becoming uncommon and expensive.
Delta makes custom cams. That's about it, unless you want to take the heads off and have them ported. And 4.9s are kind of a pain (and potentially expensive) to disassemble and reassemble, for several reasons.

3800s, OTOH, have a huge aftermarket. All sorts of performance parts are available.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-29-2016).]

pop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
THANKS EVERYBODY< SO FAR

KEEP SENDING !!
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
POP a suggestion is for you to state your budget as that will determine what swap to do. Also are you looking for a "plug and play" or DIY swap. There are many engine choices 3.4L P/R, 3.4L DOHC, 3400, 3500, 3800, 3900, SBC, LS4, LS1,2,3 4.9L and transmission choices. All are not compatible. If you better define what you want then more specific replies will result. So what do you wish to spend, what is the power goal, and who is doing the work?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

pop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Dennis !!

I will be doing most of the work in my home garage.
I want the most power possible in an easy to swap eng. that will mount to the 5sp and that I won't have a bunch of wiring problems.
I won't be racing the car.
I have been planning on doing the 3.4 push rod for many years but have been away from the Fiero scene for some time.
Are there a lot of performance parts for the 3.4 still?? I can do the rebuild.
And you guys can help me with.... what intake to use, what injectors, etc etc.
I think at this point 'plug and play' would be best

THANKS !!
FIER086

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was in the same boat as you as I too wanted to do a 3.4L PR swap since it is one of the easiest and cheapest. However, for not much more money and not too much more work you can have a 3800sc mated to the Getrag 5 speed with roughly 240-260hp out of the box. I ended up doing the 3800sc swap with a buddy and had a ton of fun doing it. The most difficult part was getting the 2.8l and cradle down and out of the car. Other than that it's pretty simple. I didnt do the wiring but there are very good guys on here that do the complete harness for around $500. Tons of aftermarket, tons of people making brackets, very well documented swap. Good luck! We are all here to help!

------------------
'87 GT - 5spd, Project Car- 3800SC II: Full Rebuild, VS Cam, 90# Springs, 3.4 pulley, headers, 42.5# injectors...
'86 SE - 2m4, SOLD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing

PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pop:

Thanks Dennis !!

I want the most power possible in an easy to swap eng. that will mount to the 5sp and that I won't have a bunch of wiring problems.
I have been planning on doing the 3.4 push rod for many years but have been away from the Fiero scene for some time.

THANKS !!

You've said a couple of times that you want the "most power possible". This isn't a great thing to say since it really doesn't specify what you are after. Are you more interested in top end speed or acceleration? This will determine if the focus should be on torque or horsepower. What specific targets do you have? You still need to talk about your budget and mechanical skills; what level of modifications are you comfortable with? If you just want to be pinned in your seat going from light to light and are on a tighter budget, then the 4.9 would be a good choice. If you want a relatively easy swap that has potential for major modifications down the line, then go with the 3800sc. If you are set on the 3.4, then what specs would make you happy?
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first Fiero was a small block Chevy with a carburetor. I had never done a swap before, and with the help of an Archie kit it was not difficult. Power galore. I'm lucky enough to have found a 3800sc swapped into an 84 Fiero. Well done, low mileage car, but an automatic. I doubt I could have done the wiring required to build that car. My personal opinion is that the small block is much more fun to drive and much like a street rod. You can build a really powerful small block for a lot less money than you can build an equally powerful 3.8, if it can be done at all considering the displacement difference. And if you like peer approval, like at a car show, you will get it with the small block. My experience is that most people look at the 3.8, super charger and all, with a ho hum attitude. Pretty sure they think it was original to the car. If my sc car was a stick,maybe it would be a more fun experience. My vote is old school, 350 small block with a carb. Or add a Fitech fuel injection system. It will still be simple. Good luck, and don't let any of us tell you how to build your car!
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pop:

Thanks Dennis !!

THANKS !!

Easy and most power don't always fit in the same category. If 20-35 more horsepower is your goal then the 3.4L with mods can do it. It is easy as it is nearly a direct bolt in engine. You can re-use the Fiero harness, ECM , exhaust and all water and fuel lines hook up as they did before.
If you want to get near the 250=280 HP mark then a move up to the 3800SC swap is recommended. Its not so easy as you will require new mounts, brackets, tensioners, fuel pump, hoses, a custom exhaust, fuel lines and computer wiring to make everything work. Figure 50-100 hours of labor for the 3800 or any other different engine swap.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

tomsablon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2016 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsablonSend a Private Message to tomsablonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
from like my 2.8 88 gt 5spd getrag to love my 3.8 sc 88gt 5spd getrag. ,
did it in the garage with 2 harbor freight furniture dollies ,harbor freight engine hoist, 2 jack stands, 2- 6x6 blocks.
had my harness made by loyd .************recommend one of the current makers available on pff now .
used wcf trans/engine mounts and wcf centering dogbone kit
lowered alt using wcf
used wcf cold air intake,
used wcf t-stat fillspout.
removed egr for looks/space
little larger fuel pump
moded a/c hoses
spec 2+ clutch/ pressure plate with cut down 3.8 camaro flywheel**balanced to match original flex plate balance** wcf bolts
cut the lower worthless nook out of trunk/filled and had an ss 2 1/2" exhaust fabricated attached to the stock manifold outlet / with fiero tips.
had sinister program a plug and play chip.
moved battery to front.
plenty of space under the rear hatch and way easier to work on than the 2.8.
In stafford va few months ago had a 30 something behind me in a lowered honda 2000 with wide tires and his top down decide to pass me on a country road . He gave me a backwards bye bye hand signal and (tried to) zoom away. The only gentlemanly response was to --DWOOOT,DWOOT full sc dead on his * and push him through the next 1/2 mile of curves. He white flag hand signaled me off and pulled off into a left hand driveway and let me go by. Decided I should go back to being less stupid and drive at a mile below speed limit the rest of the way to fredericksburg va, My new friend caught up a couple of miles later staying back 10 or so car lengths. I love my 3.8 sc --DWOOOT,DWOOT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock