Munson Headlights ? what ???? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 11-08-2016 11:16 PM
Replies: 28 (822 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 03-26-2017 07:13 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
been having a Hard Look at the Munson headlights, was Wondering HOW you get 12 inch Wide Lights into a 10 inch HOLE !
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They can't and added trim doesn't help.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138884.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kris Munson addressed that issue by staggering the headlight bulbs, so one is slightly in front of the other, and overlapping them a bit. IMO that's part of the reason why the light output was so poor.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know , what cars used..... I've seen them in the boneyard, just can't remember what they were. rectangular WIDE / LOW single headlights, w/ Glass lenses.( about 9-10" wide), flat front mot angled ????
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1990-91 Olds Cutlass supreme

https://goo.gl/images/V24HFT
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Kris Munson addressed that issue by staggering the headlight bulbs, so one is slightly in front of the other, and overlapping them a bit. IMO that's part of the reason why the light output was so poor.

I don't think that's the problem with mine. The recess prevents light spread below and to either side more than the staggering. Even the light that is forward is insufficient. You need night vision goggles when using them.

Try this site: http://www.autoandart.com/search?q=headlight+bulbs

http://www.autoandart.com/s...=0&pf=&pf=&sid=false

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-09-2016).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notice I said that's PART of the reason why the light output sucks.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good LINK, Thanks
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Notice I said that's PART of the reason why the light output sucks.

And I agree. I think with a little work, they could be modified to work well if like Lou is pondering, replacing them with a single hi/low lens. They're nice for show and to look at but are impractical for the Fiero unless maybe a good set of fog lights are used to supplement them.
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

are separated down to just the headlight portion (the top portion) I think they would look great as pop-ups! I am not fond of the circular projection lens conversions.

Anybody got a 1994-1998 C10 C/K1500 Suburban Tahoe Pickup to measure and tell me just how wide the headlights are? Not a lot of those vehicles around in my area of Long Island.
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a pair out of a 1993 k3500 if you want me to measure them.... They should be the same afaik
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Search for Schmiedmann or ECS. they both make quad units. Also, has anyone ever looked into adapting motorcycle headlights? They are very compact.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

If these: 1994-1998 C10 C/K1500 Suburban Tahoe Pickup Headlights+Corner+Bumper Lights Set

are separated down to just the headlight portion (the top portion) I think they would look great as pop-ups!

Would those the same size as these? If so, I suspect they'd be too wide to fit in the Fiero headlight buckets.

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are it
Edit to add. I wonder if the fiero can use the "four hi" mod used on the Chevy and gmc trucks. Now that made a hella difference on my one ton!

[This message has been edited by jaredmurray88 (edited 11-09-2016).]

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaredmurray88:

I have a pair out of a 1993 k3500 if you want me to measure them.... They should be the same afaik

Jared, yes! Please measure the width. I would sure like to know how close they are. Since paint is coming in the Spring, I would not be averse to modding the hood to accept them if they are close enough!

Larry
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember, Larry, that you have a hood hinge just to the inboard side of the headlight opening. Not much room. Those GMC lights look much bigger than the Camaro/Firebird lights used in the Munson setup.

I found a Honda motorcycle one-piece high/low, but there didn't seem to be left and right side units. You might do a more in-depth search.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hood hinge on the inside, steel inner fender lip on the outside. I "considered "cutting and moving the inner lip of the headlight opening inward, but the Body line of the hood runs right through where the lip would need to be. then, even if you can get the lights "inside the hole", because of the slant of the hood, the Light will still have to "shine OVER" the front ledge, not directly in front of the car ! in order for the lights to be "IN" the hole and shine where they are supposed to, they can only be about a 2.5" tall Light.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Single Lamp does not fix Cover or the "barn door shutters" problems listed in https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138884.html
Even a mod'ed hood will problem.
Might be better at shuttering sides because bulb is centered in the hole but not bottom cutoff.

If you don't understand the problem, start w/ Google: how to use barn doors in photography
Quick Examples showing how they work:
http://lowel.tiffen.com/edu...trols/barndoors.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BhmrO0Yk1I

In Fiero, You have fix "doors" on both sides and bottom.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-10-2016).]

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The headlights are 12 7/8 wide at the lens and 13 1/8 over all and 3 5/8 tall and 4 deep if I remember correctly. I just ran out to the garage in sandals and it's friggin windy along with being like 35 without windchill. I'm definitely not looking foreward to the negs in winter...

Edit for spelling

[This message has been edited by jaredmurray88 (edited 11-10-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When he was with us, Kris said that his flush mount lights did produce a small unlit dead area right in front of the car but claimed that this was only a slight difference from the stock lights where the headlight doors interrupted the driver view in the same area.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Imo if you cut from the body line on the hood across to the fender they would fit and not have the barn door effect but it'd be TIGHT! the dead zone would still be there but switchbacks would cure that.... Cue arguement now
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cutting the hood to the fender does no good, if you try and put the light up to the edge of the hood, the hood won't close because the steel lip the fender bolts onto is in the way. even cutting on BOTH sides does not solve it.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Cutting the hood to the fender does no good, if you try and put the light up to the edge of the hood, the hood won't close because the steel lip the fender bolts onto is in the way. even cutting on BOTH sides does not solve it.

With the Munson setup, it may be best to explore using two smaller high intensity RV headlights . That still might not cure the dead spot but they might at least fit.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-11-2016).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few Years ago, I DID USE 4 truck/RV "Bumper lights" ( mounted on an adjustable bolt on bottom). As I recall, they were about 5" x 2.5" . They Did "Fit" very nicely, But, I never did get them" WIRED" right. ( the Fiero has 3 wires for the 1 light and when you put in Quads you need at least 4 wires (Or Do You ?).
But they DID FIT, and looked decent. The "Housing" of the lights were Plastic and it was just Not a "Quality" setup. I'm wanting to find a "Quality" way of doing it.
jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have a pair of sets of aux lights I dug up at wally world for a Munson ish setup I read about years ago that used a bent alum plate to mount the lights to on the pop up top studs. They still needed staggered a bit but I have a pdf of the template around here. The only trick is dressing it up to cap off the bottom and sides. As far as a lens I was going to try and make a buck from the doors and vacuum form plexi so it fits nicely in the hood.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lou, the wires for the stock headlights consist of 1 ground, 1 high bean and 1 low beam. You can jumper the ground from 1 headlight to the other and attach the low beam wire to 1 light and the high beam to the other. I did that while experimenting with 4 fog lights, mounted them forward in the housing with a single bolt in the center of each mount. They could be adjusted individually, up and down and side to side with the lens removed. Once adjusted and tightened, the lens was reinstalled. They were glass lens fog lights, but didn't have fluting, so there was no real control over the light pattern. They were small enough to be mounted side by side, too.
Roger Thelin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Roger ThelinClick Here to visit Roger Thelin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Roger ThelinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kris Munson had the idea,made the buckets and the lenses.I made the brackets and the wires.I have all the molds and parts.Production of the headlight kits has already begun.Certain parts can be had now.R.T.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've removed a few sets and replaced with the OEM setup due to the poor light output.

These should be sold as "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY".
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto, every set I've seen actually shine into the front edge of the hood ! very poor lighting.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock