New clutch won't disengage, HELP by FieroCat
Started on: 10-14-2016 02:11 PM
Replies: 14 (341 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 10-17-2016 06:32 PM
FieroCat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I just finished rebuilding my 2.8 V6 engine and re-installed it in the car with a new clutch, throwout bearing and re-surfaced flywheel. And upon trying to put it in gear, I found that the clutch will not release. There is a good inch of throw in the slave cylinder, so no problems with the hydraulics. I inspected inside the bellhousing with an inspection camera and can see the throwout bearing pressing against the diaphram as it should. So what could be keeping it from releasing??

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tuggajb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuggajbSend a Private Message to tuggajbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cluch plat installed backwards
When you installed did you make sure you put plate with flywheel side on right ?
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a possibility, but how does that even affect it? Thickness is the same... can you explain?

------------------

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the center of the clutch plate is fatter on one side and hits the flywheel (or something), but this has come up before, so it's a real thing.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-14-2016).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tuggajb and Gall are correct. The center hub of the clutch plate protrudes more on one side of the disk than the other. The disk should have been marked "Flywheel Side". Do you get any noise or pedal pulsations when trying to disengage? A sure sign of being installed backwards.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 10-14-2016).]

FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No odd pulsations but it does make a scraping/rubbing sound when starting the engine in gear and clutch pedal pushed, as the clutch disc is moving slightly with a lot of friction.
Given that I couldn't find any problems with the hydraulics/slave cylinder throw, this must be the only thing that could be wrong. Looks like the clutch is coming out and getting reversed around tomorrow...

------------------

tuggajb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuggajbSend a Private Message to tuggajbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tourqe springs hang out further that should face the trans
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2016 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would rule out a master cylinder leak first. Try pumping the clutch pedal. A lot. Normally pedal travel will suffer if the master is failing, but it's one that has caught me totally off guard. I have issues with mine in my 87GT that appeared immediately overnight, went away for a month, then resurfaced. Ya never know, worth looking at.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This issue may be from the PP being manufactored wrong. I ran into this issue on a swap months back and so far have talked to 5 others that did clutch swaps with the same ene results. The PPs rhat come with clutch sets now are not the old sawblade design but more of a design like the 4 speed PP has always been. So far each clutch set used has been a different maker including SPEC.
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is the 4-speed. I did have to get the different throwout bearing though.

The slave is showing a good 1" of travel. Isn't that enough to release in most cases for the 4-speed?

------------------

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why did you have to get the different throwout bearing? The clutch set should have come with the proper bearing. I'm assuming they must have given you an assembly for an 86 V6 5-speed?

Even though the 86 V6 5-speed was a late-year introduction and relatively few were produced compared to 4-speeds, most parts suppliers don't show the 4-speed in their listings. Because the 86 model year was available with all 3 manual transmission versions, it's best to order the 4-speed V6 assembly for an 85 and if ordering for either of the 5-speeds, order it for the 87. In those two years, the proper assembly is defined by the engine and most parts houses show the proper assembly.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 10-17-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierofool is correct.... The '86 parts listings are all messed up, and it's very probable that somebody sold you the wrong clutch kit.
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as the throwout bearing, I just know that the original one in my 4-speed was completely different from the one that came in the kit. The Napa I ordered from apparently only included the 5-speed throwout bearings in their kit, so I had to order the throwout bearing separately. From all info I could find, the pressure plate and disc are the same between 4 and 5 speeds...

------------------

FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroCat

270 posts
Member since Feb 2014
I took out the clutch today and sure enough, the little "flywheel side" engraving on the disc was facing the transmission. And there were some scuffs on the torque springs. Flipped it back, and hopefully that does it!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, clutch disk and pressure plates "SHOULD" be the same for all year V6's...but not guaranteed.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock