Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  4.9 exhaust choices...what does your exhaust sound like?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
4.9 exhaust choices...what does your exhaust sound like? by MadProfessor8138
Started on: 10-07-2016 11:20 PM
Replies: 9 (610 views)
Last post by: MadProfessor8138 on 10-12-2016 06:33 PM
MadProfessor8138

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2016 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting close to the point on my 4.9 build that I need to start thinking about exhaust options.
Thought I would ask everyone if they might post some audio clips of their exhaust choices.

I want loud...but loud with a nice tone.

[This message has been edited by MadProfessor8138 (edited 10-07-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2016 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With trunk cut or without trunk cut? If you swapped with the 4T60e automatic then the RPMs will be under 2000 , maybe 1600 at highway speeds. The exhaust roar is usually light in that RPM range.
The popular swap mufflers to use without trunk cutting are the Flotech Afterburner, Magnatech and Spintech cross flow mufflers. The Afterburner is the loudest, the Spintech is smaller and not bad sounding. I have never used the Magnatech but believe it to be quieter as it is the largest of the three. I currently run on the Spintech om my 3800 and using it again on the 4.9L build.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2016 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Flow master 80 from 90's Camaro.
Jones turbotube.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2016 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2.5" exhaust routed in the stock manner, with a cat and a glasspack, both in the stock locations, with a single C6 tip.
It's loud but not obnoxious. Has a little bit of a drone at highway speeds, but not enough to bother making a change.
If I ever change anything, it will probably be to replace the glasspack with a Flowmaster or Magnaflow.
(FWIW, I used to have the 4.9 piped through a regular Fiero system. Hated it. Was not nearly loud enough. The 4T60E was actually louder. )
Sorry. I don't have a clip.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-08-2016).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2016 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jones Full Boar Quiet Tone. I'm using a 2.5" single inlet, dual outlet muffler that fits in the stock location (same size). Has a nice sound. Definitely not too loud. I might have a clip in my build thread....I'll have to look.

Edit: Some videos taken using my phone...not the best sound, but hopefully they help. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/129733-5.html

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 10-08-2016).]

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2016 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So which is best ?

1. One muffler on the downpipe before the Y?
Or
2. Two mufflers mounted after the downpipe Y's?
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2016 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everybody's setup is slightly different. I preferred using a single muffler. The only reason to run two mufflers would be if you had a true dual exhaust setup. Also...there is no reason not to use a catalytic converter. High flow cats are cheap and don't rob you of any power.
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went the extra cheap and easy way and did the downpipe to the center of a thrush glasspack, then 90deg. each side out. I thought it would be nasty loud but It's not, and takes up very little area. It's very much like an ed parks setup, although without a cat, and I have no idea what muffler he had chosen to modify for his setup. I've asked a lot of people who drive with me, and they all say it sounds good. It is loud enough to not mistake that there is a v8 in there, but not so loud that I want to re do it.
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now we're talking.....lol
I want some noise but with a designed tone,if that makes any sense.

I'm hoping someone has a clip of a Flowmaster Super 10 ......that,I have to hear.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock