Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Should I Worry About This Rust on My Fuel Tank?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Should I Worry About This Rust on My Fuel Tank? by scottd
Started on: 09-30-2016 07:58 PM
Replies: 9 (445 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 10-01-2016 03:28 PM
scottd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scottdClick Here to visit scottd's HomePageSend a Private Message to scottdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys,
As I am digging deeper into my first Fiero, I am noticing a bit more rust than I originally saw when I purchased the car. I did not notice the rust on the fuel tank. It does not feel too scary, but should I be concerned with this?

Thank you!

------------------
--Scott D
Stock 1986 White GT

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Around here in the rust belt, holes rusted through the fuel tanks is common. You may want to put some type of rust treatment on it to slow down the progress.
scottd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scottdClick Here to visit scottd's HomePageSend a Private Message to scottdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! I am going to treat it with some of this. Corroseal Rust Converter.

http://www.corroseal.com/

Should work out well as the rust does not seem deep at all. Thanks for the response to my newbie question.

------------------
--Scott D
Stock 1986 White GT

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the tank is nothing many times.

Rust where straps hold up is a bigger problem.
Water and salt eat thru those areas often.

No leak then bush off big rust and use whatever. Many Want some rust to work.
Leaks then get a new/better tank for most people.

Repair w/ epoxy often fails and soon. Wrong kind can ruin the fuel pump etc And leak too.
DIY should Not solder them because....
Warning: Solder heat + gas and fumes often = Boom. Heat can damage/ruin the plastic baffler etc.
Many are hurt or killed soldering because of gas fumes or use wrong solder and leak again.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-01-2016).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theogre's right. Make sure you drop the strap and get under there good. Debris and moisture build up between the strap and tank causing that to rust faster than anywhere else. All the leaking tanks I've seen leak from the strap area.
scottd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scottdClick Here to visit scottd's HomePageSend a Private Message to scottdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome. I will take a look around the straps. I do not currently have a leak in the tank at all. I just want to prevent further deterioration with this rust converter stuff. Thank you very much for the info guys.

------------------
--Scott D
Stock 1986 White GT

scottd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scottdClick Here to visit scottd's HomePageSend a Private Message to scottdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

scottd

41 posts
Member since Sep 2016

Originally posted by tebailey:

theogre's right. Make sure you drop the strap and get under there good. Debris and moisture build up between the strap and tank causing that to rust faster than anywhere else. All the leaking tanks I've seen leak from the strap area.

Stupid question though... If I drop the strap, I will need to make sure to support the tank as it could drop down. Correct? I am still new to this car. Thank you,

------------------
--Scott D
Stock 1986 White GT

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
POR will coat and seal the tank and gas will not touch it when cured.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, block up the tank when you drop the strap.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would pull it and inspect. It probably won't fall out, but be ready for when it does come down. There are plastic baffles inside and the tank treatment systems don't recommend use on plastic. If you want to clean the inside. Drain the gas and use a shop vac to blow into the tank for as long as it takes to dry the gas. I rinsed mine and repeated ( on an old truck). I then took to a shop that sandblasted and sealed. There is a coating you can put on the outside to seal it that way, if you have a pin hole. Talk to a radiator shop for advice.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock