Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  3.6 liter High Feature I a Fiero (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3.6 liter High Feature I a Fiero by Daryl M
Started on: 09-07-2016 07:16 PM
Replies: 148 (5753 views)
Last post by: Rdavis88 on 05-11-2022 11:34 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

Rickady88GT the 2.8 is a much earlier model than the LFX. The LFX requires a different ECM. Besides, the LFX came in Camaros with manual tranny's.

The 2.8 Saab engine came with manual transmission also.
However, that's a Bosch rather than Delphi ECM and will be different to adapt than the Camaro unit.
IP: Logged
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

The 2.8 Saab engine came with manual transmission also.
However, that's a Bosch rather than Delphi ECM and will be different to adapt than the Camaro unit.

It gets more complicated as more donor vehicle parts are mixed and matched. Then add on top of that aftermarket or custom parts AND a custom tune. It could be a lot of work getting all the bugs worked out. I am not against mixing and matching, I just think that my skills limit me to keep as many factory assemblies as possible. For example, I want a High Feature V6 with a manual transmission, that means I look for a HF V6 that came from the factory with a manual. That just seems the easiest way to do it, and fewer issues. BUT, I want to convert my automatic transmission to a manual in my Fiero that already has an LS4 that never had a manual option, so I am forced to mix and match to get what I want.
In the end it depends on how much time, money and effort you want to spend but more importantly is the goal you want to achieve. Knowing exactly what you want is just as important because that will guide your research.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 01-08-2019).]

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rickady88GT, not as bad as you are making it out to be. 2012 Camaro had an LFX with a manual transmission. The clutch is a bolt in from the Saab 9-3 Aero. I am almost done with the wiring changes and have had few problems. Guess I won't know for certain until I get to the point where the key is turned, but I am an optimist.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT, not as bad as you are making it out to be. 2012 Camaro had an LFX with a manual transmission. The clutch is a bolt in from the Saab 9-3 Aero. I am almost done with the wiring changes and have had few problems. Guess I won't know for certain until I get to the point where the key is turned, but I am an optimist.

Cool. I look forward to seeing video and pictures.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

It gets more complicated as more donor vehicle parts are mixed and matched. Then add on top of that aftermarket or custom parts AND a custom tune. It could be a lot of work getting all the bugs worked out. I am not against mixing and matching, I just think that my skills limit me to keep as many factory assemblies as possible. For example, I want a High Feature V6 with a manual transmission, that means I look for a HF V6 that came from the factory with a manual. That just seems the easiest way to do it, and fewer issues. BUT, I want to convert my automatic transmission to a manual in my Fiero that already has an LS4 that never had a manual option, so I am forced to mix and match to get what I want.
In the end it depends on how much time, money and effort you want to spend but more importantly is the goal you want to achieve. Knowing exactly what you want is just as important because that will guide your research.

The 2.8 *IS* a high feature V6.
I've been musing for years that it would be fun to bolt the Saab turbo system up to an LLT... although with a bigger turbo, of course.

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to go turbo, do twin turbos from another high feature. Also, the Saab high feature was port injected. The LLT and later are direct injected.

[This message has been edited by Daryl M (edited 01-09-2019).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The later twin turbo V6's use integrated exhaust manifolds and the turbos bolt directly to the cylinder heads. Just use the whole pullout engine in that case.

The Saab manifolds should bolt right up to the LLT and the crossover pipe will most likely work too... just needs a bigger turbo. Although I don't know where the HPFP is on an LLT right off and how it would relate to the crossover pipe.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-09-2019).]

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
The 2.8 *IS* a high feature V6.
I've been musing for years that it would be fun to bolt the Saab turbo system up to an LLT... although with a bigger turbo, of course.

Do twins Will, that's what I'm planning for the CTS. I'm collecting hardware for the build now and sizing things up with the intent to mount the the turbos up high for gravity oil return instead of the scavenge pump most of the turbo Camaros are using along with low mounted turbos, as well as leaving room for catalytic converters.

The turbos are pretty compact next to one exhaust manifold, GT2860s with .86 turbines and ~330 hp rating. Not expecting to have it done by the end of the year but would at least like to have it completed on the engine stand. The aftermarket supercharged camaros are achieving 400+ hp at the wheels, the turbocharged versions are doing even more except with a lot more torque and using less boost pressure, best dyno sheet I've seen was 500 hp and 475 ft-lbs at 11 psi. I'm not aiming that high but, would like to reel in the 0-60 times from 6 sec to the 4 sec range with the 6 speed auto. It already has 11.3:1 compression so no engine modifications are necessary to increase it.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 01-09-2019).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I could be wrong but I thought that the 2.8HF was avaliable with the 6 speed manual. Just use that PCM.

That's the drivetrain that bmwguru installed in his car. He ended up using the AEM(?) PCM. Couldn't get the stocker to do what he wanted.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
That's the drivetrain that bmwguru installed in his car. He ended up using the AEM(?) PCM. Couldn't get the stocker to do what he wanted.

Sorry in advance Steve... this just reminded me of a phrase that is a applicable to that comment. "just another Saab story"

On a more serious note, that was 6 years ago and there are now more mainstream high feature applications and with that comes more tuning support - especially from the Camaro platform.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I can think of some good reasons to use the newer engines over the older ones, but I understand and agree with mixing the drive train like a fine recipe but it will take a little more work and research, and in the end may need significant troubleshooting to eliminate bugs.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Sorry in advance Steve... this just reminded me of a phrase that is a applicable to that comment. "just another Saab story"

On a more serious note, that was 6 years ago and there are now more mainstream high feature applications and with that comes more tuning support - especially from the Camaro platform.

At one point, I was considering an LFX swap, with an "adapted" 5 speed (F23 or HTOB Getrag) similar to what Mender is doing, using a FWD LFX and a PCM/tune from a manual trans Camaro.
But, again, it's down to my inability to fabricate.

Probably going to do the HTOB Getrag, bolted to a 3900. That should be nearly a bolt-in, as far as it goes.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar, you don't weld?

[This message has been edited by Daryl M (edited 01-12-2019).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welding is easy. The hard part is shelling out a thousand or so for a machine that makes welding easy.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2019 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

Welding is easy. The hard part is shelling out a thousand or so for a machine that makes welding easy.

Even that's easy, considering the alternative is shelling out $200 for a machine that makes welding hard
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am definitely not a welder, but I have managed to do all of my fabrication so far with relatively cheap equipment from Harbor freight. Heck, I even stick welded the exhaust. The point is if I can do it, anyone can.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2019 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I learned how to weld on a 110V Craftsman flux core welder. Like everything, it took a lot of practice to get halfway good. I eventually upgraded to a 220V Lincoln ProMig 175 for about $500 (new on sale) and switched to using shielding gas vs. flux core and it made a world of difference. I would never go back to a 110V welder or using flux core unless I was doing something that required it... it just makes welding harder. The more you weld, the better you get, and a better welder really improves your results and flexibility.

By enhancing your skills and equipment (mechanical, fabrication, electrical, and ECM tuning), you significantly increase the types of swaps you can accomplish.
mender

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2019 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for menderSend a Private Message to menderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I learned how to weld on a 110V Craftsman flux core welder. Like everything, it took a lot of practice to get halfway good. I eventually upgraded to a 220V Lincoln ProMig 175 for about $500 (new on sale) and switched to using shielding gas vs. flux core and it made a world of difference. I would never go back to a 110V welder or using flux core unless I was doing something that required it... it just makes welding harder. The more you weld, the better you get, and a better welder really improves your results and flexibility.

By enhancing your skills and equipment (mechanical, fabrication, electrical, and ECM tuning), you significantly increase the types of swaps you can accomplish.

Using a flux core 110 volt welder is like using a screwdriver as a chisel: it works but the proper tool works so much better.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2019 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mender:

Using a flux core 110 volt welder is like using a screwdriver as a chisel: it works but the proper tool works so much better.

My experience has shown that flux core is good for the rough work of making brackets, mounts etc. Flux welds leave a lot of splatter and they are difficult to master. .If you want to do clean pretty welds as on a custom exhaust the gas mig is the ticket. Hobart makes some pretty good mig welders. Tig is also great but those welders tend to cost more.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 01-21-2019).]

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am definitely not a welder, but I have managed to do all of my fabrication so far with relatively cheap equipment from Harbor freight. Heck, I even stick welded the exhaust. The point is if I can do it, anyone can.

I have been watching this thread and you give me hope! I've been meaning to learn to weld for YEARS. Last year I saved up some cash and bought (what I hope is a nice) welder thinking it would force me to get going. I'm still chickening out, for no good reason. Now I have a welder sitting in a box in the garage taunting me all the time!
PFF
System Bot
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

I have been watching this thread and you give me hope! I've been meaning to learn to weld for YEARS. Last year I saved up some cash and bought (what I hope is a nice) welder thinking it would force me to get going. I'm still chickening out, for no good reason. Now I have a welder sitting in a box in the garage taunting me all the time!

I am a retired telephone tech. I've piddled with welding from time to time but not anything serious. I use a Harbor freight stick welder that has adjustable amperage. Today I continued welding on exhaust pipes. Welding thin stuff is more challenging than the 3/16" plate I used for motor mounts, but I just practice on scrap til I get the hang of it. I'm sure there are better ways to learn, but this seems to be working for me.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2019 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, you're living me dream and I'm enjoying watching you do it!

When it comes to things I "want" to do, typically I've to reach a point where I *must* do something to give me the proper kick in the rear.

This conversation does remind me that one thing I need to do is have someone better at electricity than I am look at my 220... right now it's hardwired to a big air compressor. I need a smart/safe/convenient way of switching power over to a plug for the welder.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thesameguy
It isn't difficult to install a plug that your compressor can plug into. Then just unplug the compressor and plug in the welder. Just make sure to switch off the breaker for thatcircuit before you start and make sure you use a plug and receptical of the proper amperage to match the breaker and wire guage.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

I have a wire MIG, brand new, under a cover on one of my benches (taunting me too). I messed around with it a little but its one thing that I didn't feel at ease with at all. There is now an adult continuing ed program nearby for welding. I plan to attended in the near future, it opens up a lot more options on these cars.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 Auto
65 Tempest 400 CID
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6
2015 BMW 535iX M Sport
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2019 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IIK-M5ryHYY

I had to post this review of a cheap stick welder.
MikesFirstFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikesFirstFieroSend a Private Message to MikesFirstFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Decided to go with a LFX + 6T70 from a wrecked 2018 Impala. Will start a new thread on the swap.
88 2M4 with prior 2.8 auto swap.

[This message has been edited by MikesFirstFiero (edited 03-18-2021).]

Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rdavis88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdavis88Send a Private Message to Rdavis88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rdavis88

14 posts
Member since May 2022
This is Daryl's Fiero. I got it running a couple weeks ago and drove it around on Saturday.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock