Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Clunking sound when disengaging clutch if going From fwd to reverse

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Clunking sound when disengaging clutch if going From fwd to reverse by Lou and Blue
Started on: 08-11-2016 03:43 PM
Replies: 5 (148 views)
Last post by: Lou and Blue on 08-15-2016 01:38 AM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2016 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if it's the rear Axle going bad or the brake pad dragging or maybe even loose motor mount mount to Fiero Rog bracket.)

If I go forward, stop, put it in reverse and let Off the clutch I hear a clunking or two as it backs up. Then it's ok as I keep reversing , then I stop, put it in first gear , and I hear a quick clunk and then nothing going forward.

------------------
Founder / President
Long Island's Little Fiero Owners Club
L.I.L.F.O.C.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT 3800sc series 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12, VIN #5835, Stock PRV engine, Peugot 604 Intake manifold, Exhaust headers, Anti-3rd brake light

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2016 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's either a broken half shaft or something is loose.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2016 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are your engine and transmission mounts? I would expect a torn mount to do just this.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree but I have all new mounts engine and trans.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shut the car off in reverse, open the decklid, and manually push/pull the car back and forward. Watch for engine and transmission movement. It helps to have someone else with you for this, but it's a simple visual check that may or may not reveal a culprit. We did this with my 87 when I first got it to identify a clunking noise under initial acceleration. Unfortunately it didn't give us any answers but I can see the point in trying.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2016 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Further inspection and testing confirmed the issue was a loose dogbone mount. Once tightened REALLY tight, the sound is reduced to a minimum.

------------------
Founder / President
Long Island's Little Fiero Owners Club
L.I.L.F.O.C.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT 3800sc series 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12, VIN #5835, Stock PRV engine, Peugot 604 Intake manifold, Exhaust headers, Anti-3rd brake light

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock