Stuck front hood by THE DC
Started on: 07-31-2016 06:38 PM
Replies: 50 (1438 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-05-2019 12:43 AM
THE DC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1986 Fiero with a stuck hood. I tried releasing with the cable, then tried the back up EM cable next to it and even attempted pressing down under the windshield wiper while a friend tugged at the cable. Still stuck.

I don't want to damage the hood but its froze hard and not letting me even pull up enough to gamer at the latch. Any expertise in releasing this?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is possible to trip the latch with a tool that is bent properly to fit beneath the hood and down into the latch well.

Perhaps someone will post a picture of the hood latch so that you can see how to trip the mechanism.
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw that but don't have any way to make one of those.

I was hoping for some work-aroud from someone in the know.

My pick up had the same problem and I could bump the very front, tripping the latch up, freeing it and replacing the pull.

That trick doesn't work for the Fiero!
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could have a helper push down firmly but gently on the hood while you try the emergency cable. Personally, my 86 came with a broken primary cable and the emergency cable took the right tug at the right angle to work at all. Needless to say, that was the first part I sought to replace, and fixed it asap.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. Do Not force it by pulling hard. You likely will wreck the cables.

2. Pull cable and someone else hit the hood, one to many times, by hand in area where latch is.

3. If hood has been hit back... locks are likely holding it and pulling latch cable won't matter.
See my Cave, Hood

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, the good news is that the car wasn't hit. I have to replace the batteries & with money tight she'd sat for a while.

I put a magazine on the hood, near the latch, per what my shop manual says it is located, and struck there with a rubber mallet. I'll try w/ a partner tomorrow and see if that works. That did work with my pickup, enabling me to replace the cable, but so far hadn't with the Fiero.

Thanks for all the advice,
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note that 3. could be problems w/ hood alignment too. Bent hinges or hood can be a little off making lock bolts to lock enough.

Big gap at front of hood could be sign of alignment problems.
Rear corners "hitting" the windshield too. Corners should continue body lines w/ the fenders edges.

lock bolts and fold points in the hood are so in a wreck can't push thru the glass. (Watch YT crash tests.)
GM does not allow much alignment error before hitting the bolts.
If outside... Try open the hood at night so hood has cooled to shrink a bit.

If can see the latch... is tempting to spray whatever... but note that intake for AC/Heater is there too and can smell the fumes for days or longer.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-01-2016).]

THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I waited until it cooled and bounced on and battered the upper portion of the hood while the wife pulled on the hood release. No luck.

I tried beating with a rubber mallet, over a magazine, with similar no result.

I'm running out of ideas, other than breaking the lower brace bolts, through the headlight doors, and hoping I can reach the latch that way or at least rock it free?

Help me Obiwon! You're my only hope...
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are you located?
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the way down on the south east coast! A long way from MI.

Do you have any ideas about freeing the latch, by any chance?

Thanks in advance,

The DC
ag9123

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try spraying the latch mechanism area with PB Blaster/Triflow/WD40 etc.
You should be able to get it to into the latch area.
I had the same problem with my Ford escape. The latch kept binding up.
Either the latch is sticking or the cable is binding.
The previous suggestion of getting a curved pick tool works too.
Harbor Freight has them for a few $$

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is possible to trip the latch by going in under the rear of the hood, into the latch well and tripping the exposed release tang.
If someone could post up a picture of the latch, it would really help the O/P visualize how to do this.
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please!

That sounds promising...
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are you pulling the release cable? It's harder if you're just using your fingers. A small pair of pliers or vise-grips go a long way here. You may need to use your free hand to tug on the sheath of the cable in the opposite direction too.
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did sir.

I pulled so hard it got stuck in an open position [the emergency pull], though the main pull still has spring.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

viperine

1401 posts
Member since Feb 2015
If the main cable still pulls and retracts, I'd probably carefully drive down a good cobblestone road or typical Pennsylvania pothole-riddled road while pulling the mechanism until your dash shows "ajar" haha
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reference to the previous thread. I had read that but have no way to manufacture the tool.

Someone suggested I get one from Harbor Freight but I couldn't find anything similar to what the thread described when I went there. I am still looking.

Oh! And not a lot of cobblestone streets around here, but thanks anyway.

Thanks for all of you trying to help. I may have to unbolt the hood from the hinges through the headlights, as also suggested, though I had resisted that till now.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by THE DC:

I may have to unbolt the hood from the hinges through the headlights, as also suggested, though I had resisted that till now.

I'm surprised at your reluctance to try this. It's relatively easy to do (four bolts!), and once the front of the hood is detached, just moving it around a bit may help allow the hood release to finally let go!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-04-2016).]

THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay guys...

It finally stopped raining so I could get to the hood in reasonable, if not hot and humid weather!

I backed out all four bolts on the hinges & freed the lower hood. I rocked it left to right; nothing.

I rocked it up and down; nothing.

I had my wife pulling on the release cable but its possible she couldn't maintain or exert the needed strength. I'll have my friend come over tomorrow to pull the release but she doesn't seem to be responding.

The back up cable seems free but the main still has mention and the latch won't give.

Ideas?

Tired and frustrated...

DC
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...the latch won't give.

Ideas?

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-07-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't seem too extreme right now...
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

THE DC

29 posts
Member since Feb 2006
I had a friend come out and he sprayed WD40 while I held the hood up enough for him to feel the latch.

She still won't give. I'm letting it soak over night.

Have I missed any other way to free it?
Don Adkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don AdkinsSend a Private Message to Don AdkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have the bolts out of the hinges, you can take all your extensions and a 10 mm socket and take the bolts out of the latch from the front of the hood. My latch was totally rusted and would not release. You'll need about 4 ft of extensions, a light so you can see the bolts and someone to hold, or a way to prop up the front of the hood for access. Worked for me. Good luck!!!
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I'll try that next.

I tried lifting the hood up but had a hard time getting it high enough to see the latch. I'll try pressing it a bit higher and try your suggestion.

Thanks much fella! Wish me luck,
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You really got me thinking about this one for ya. With all that has been posted, I'm starting to think that your hood release cable has simply popped its' grommet loose from the firewall. This would make it seem like you're pulling the latch successfully, but rather than sliding the cable inside the sheath, you're just wiggling the whole cable as it just dangles there. The plastic sheath really needs to be held in place so that the steel cable within actually slides. I have replaced the cable before, so it makes sense to me, knowing how it is routed. The best I can think of, is that you should try again under the dash, somehow very firmly holding the plastic sheath while you operate the release handle (or the emergency backup cable). If you must, even try pushing the sheath towards the firewall as the cable is pulled in the other direction.
You might be surprised at the effort required for this to work, but after 30 years (most car owners never oil the latch) and multitude of stiff usage, the cable itself might have stretched just enough to warrant this extra effort.
To justify the possibility, just watch the black sheath as you pull the lever. It really shouldn't move at all. Beyond this, I would be trying the earlier link idea with a coat hanger out of desperation.
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You've given me more to think about. Thanks. I'm going to test the movement of the cable in a few minutes.

I will probably have to replace the cable, if I ever get it open! I'll have to hunt a replacement for that too.

I'll go try wriggling the cable to see if there is the movement that you suggested. Your thoughts make a lot of sense.

Thanks much,

The DC
ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2016 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2016 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, tried the picks but couldn't get it right. I'll try again tomorrow.

I can't even see anything using a mirror. That hood is real tight.

Tried rocking again, since the hood botls are off the hinges, but can't lift it high enough to get a rachet at the latch. Its too tight in there.

Tried WD40 again to sit overnight but its so tight I can't be sure I'm making progress.

I can say that when I pull the release level I can hear something clicking under the hood; just no release of the mechanism.

Thanks for everyone trying to help so far. I'm thinking about calling around to boys shops tomorrow to see if anyone has a clue, as without being able to see under there I can't even use the bent screwdriver effectively that skitime suggested.

Maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right????
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

You really got me thinking about this one for ya. With all that has been posted, I'm starting to think that your hood release cable has simply popped its' grommet loose from the firewall. This would make it seem like you're pulling the latch successfully, but rather than sliding the cable inside the sheath, you're just wiggling the whole cable as it just dangles there. The plastic sheath really needs to be held in place so that the steel cable within actually slides. I have replaced the cable before, so it makes sense to me, knowing how it is routed. The best I can think of, is that you should try again under the dash, somehow very firmly holding the plastic sheath while you operate the release handle (or the emergency backup cable). If you must, even try pushing the sheath towards the firewall as the cable is pulled in the other direction.
You might be surprised at the effort required for this to work, but after 30 years (most car owners never oil the latch) and multitude of stiff usage, the cable itself might have stretched just enough to warrant this extra effort.
To justify the possibility, just watch the black sheath as you pull the lever. It really shouldn't move at all. Beyond this, I would be trying the earlier link idea with a coat hanger out of desperation.

The grommet has nothing to do with the cable sheath movement. The cable is secured to the release handle housing and the latch mechanism. The two grommets on the cable are for preventing water and air intrusion only.
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, made skitime's tool out of a Harbor Freight, long shafted flathead that I burnt to his specifications at 2 90 degree angles. Taped it up at 4/12 like directed and slid it under that tight hood.

Buckus!

I tried to post images of the tool and my effort to insert it in the right place, by the wiper arm base, but this site demanded the images be on a website and I only had them on my desktop. Couldn't share them.

The tool directions were good and the idea sound but I just don't know how to feel my way to the latch.

I'm calling around tomorrow to body shops to see if anyone has a Fiero I can practice on, that has a working latch, just to get the feel to make headway on mine.

Still stuck but still trying...

The DC
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I tried to post images of the tool and my effort to insert it in the right place, by the wiper arm base, but this site demanded the images be on a website and I only had them on my desktop. Couldn't share them.

PIP was written by Cliff Pennock to be used to post images here. Maximun width - 1024 pixels. Max file size - 300 kb.
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Mac.

Would someone want me to email the three pics to post for everyone?

Its not as pretty as skitime's tool but it was my best effort.

I have to figure out how to fish under the hood and find the magic spot.

I am still talking about my Fiero...

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Would someone want me to email the three pics to post for everyone?

Sure, send them to the email address in my profile.
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

On the way...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On the way...

Other than re-sizing the images to allow for posting here, I didn't alter them at all. You need some lights in your garage!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-09-2016).]

THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for forwarding them!
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2016 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
years ago I bought a Fiero with a damaged hood. I made the tool in the posts above and it worked, so with some trial and error you will get it to work. Its no different than a trunk latch, you just have to trip the latch. I was suprised how easy it was after finding the "sweet spot".

Good luck
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I tried several tie with no luck, even bending the tool out of shape!

I went by that fellow's house and inspected the latch on another Fiero, with a plan to practice on it and that left me stumped.

I saw no way to trigger the latch, given the secondary hinge below. Even the other Fiero owner was stumped.

Is there some part of the process that I am missing? Is the tool a hoax?

I have made it, tried, and am falling back on using a reciprocating saw with a flexible blade to cut the latch, as the technician with the two Fieros suggested. I am really stumped how else to possibly get the front hood open and even with a practice, open latch, saw no way to trigger it.

HELP!!!!
THE DC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2016 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE DCSend a Private Message to THE DCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I tried several times tonight with no luck, even bending the tool out of shape!

I went by that fellow's house and inspected the latch on another Fiero, with a plan to practice on it with being able to see the mechanism as I practiced and that left me stumped. The catch wouldn't back off, even with the hood opened and easy to access.

I saw no way to trigger the latch or the secondary hinge below. I tried on his '87 and his '84. Even the other Fiero owner was stumped and he is a certified mechanic.

Is there some part of the process that I am missing? Is there a way or angle of activation I just don't see?

Is the tool a hoax?

I have made it, tried, and am falling back on using a reciprocating saw with a flexible blade to cut the latch, if I have to, as the technician with the two Fieros suggested. I am really stumped how else to possibly get the front hood open and even with a practice, open latch, saw no way to trigger it.

HELP!!!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock