Reverse light switch for 5 speed by Mar21457
Started on: 07-26-2016 05:47 AM
Replies: 6 (1195 views)
Last post by: ChanningB on 08-06-2020 10:22 AM
Mar21457

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mar21457Send a Private Message to Mar21457Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After I bought my 1986 , five speed 2m4, I noticed that I did not have reverse lights, so I took the center console apart to inspect it and the switch was unplugged and gone , so I have to order one from the Fiero store, the only problem is I don't know how it is mounted, the service manual picture doesn't show much, does anyone have a picture of this, it has to be a five speed not a four. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Chris Eddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris EddySend a Private Message to Chris EddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in the same boat.. at first I thought that the car had none.
I like to back into the driveway.. and I have a rock wall on one side. I would rather not whack the whole left side when it's dark!
I just went through the schematics again (GM, not Hanes. Hanes are almost useless). I cannot for the life of me find any mention of backup lights.
Is it possible that someone could post a pic of this elusive switch, for my benefit as well as the OP?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The switch is located on the transmission, guys.....not under the console.
Look for a two wire connector with light green and light blue wires.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Save some money on the switch

http://reddevilriver.com

Misc products.

The connector near the axle is the VSS.

Rev switch has a tail on the switch.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-26-2016).]

Fastfiero1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastfiero1Send a Private Message to Fastfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The switch is located on the transmission, guys.....not under the console.
Look for a two wire connector with light green and light blue wires.

Hey I am actually looking at Alldata and it says that is correct for 87-88 models but it lists 84-86 models as being on the shifter assm. Could it be wrong? Both of my Fieros were 87's so both mine has the switch on the transmission.

------------------
Fiero's Owned:

1987 Coupe 2.5 5spd May 99 - June 03
1987 GT V6 5spd July 30 2012 - Current

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4 speed on the shifter.

Both 5 speeds on the tranny.

Auto on the tranny.

If you can't find the 5 speed switch - locate the harness tail that runs under the alternator, between the tranny and the block and follow it towards the tranny. First connector is Yellow and Purple wires. It's the VSS. Then continue. The only connector left is a two wire WeatherPac, Dk. Blue (power from the fuse box) and Lt. Green (runs to the back up lights).

Some 4 speed harnesses will have the connector, even though it isn't used on a 4 speed application.

Note the data you are looking at is for the 2.5. GM changed to the 5 speed tranny at different years for the 4 cyl and the 6 cyl.

From Wikipedia

Four-speed manual[edit]
All four-speed manual transmissions were built at the Muncie, Indiana Allison plant. The 1984 production line saw two transmissions, a performance four-speed with a final drive ratio of 4.10, and an economy four-speed with a final drive ratio of 3.32. The V6 on the 1985 model and part of the 1986 production year came with a four-speed with a final drive ratio of 3.65. The lower-geared 4.10 four-speed transmission showed improved acceleration, but sacrificed fuel economy.

Five-speed manual[edit]
Isuzu and Muncie (Getrag)- five-speed transmissions were available, depending on model and equipment beginning in 1985 for the Isuzu five-speed which came on four-cylinder cars and in 1986 for the Muncie five-speed which came on V6 equipped cars.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-26-2016).]

ChanningB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChanningBSend a Private Message to ChanningBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Save some money on the switch

http://reddevilriver.com

Misc products.

The connector near the axle is the VSS.

Rev switch has a tail on the switch.

Thank you sooooo much Phonedawgs!!! I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a switch... GM discontinued the part so the Fiero Store, Lectric Limited, Rodney Dickman, ect. doesnt carry them anymore... so glad u posted this! Definitely a thumbs up to you!!

[This message has been edited by ChanningB (edited 08-06-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock