Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How easy is it to change out the V6 intake manfold?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How easy is it to change out the V6 intake manfold? by peterhirschberg
Started on: 07-21-2016 11:40 AM
Replies: 11 (316 views)
Last post by: Hudini on 07-24-2016 03:49 PM
peterhirschberg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhirschbergClick Here to visit peterhirschberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to peterhirschbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all!

I want to swap out my red V6 intake manifold for a nicer one I bought. How complex a job is this? Can I do it myself with simple tools or is it a huge pain in the butt to swap? I have an aftermarket EGR hose I want to install at the same time.

I have new intake manifold gaskets already.

Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by peterhirschberg (edited 07-21-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty easy. Just unbolt , install new gaskets and attach. Devil is in the details... you may need special tools to get to the EGR tube and to take off throttle body. Good time to buy tools!
Fastfiero1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastfiero1Send a Private Message to Fastfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's just the upper intake you are swapping it shouldn't be that bad. the biggest pain may be finding 12 point sockets for the bolts.

The procedure from Alldata reads: (they only list the procedure for everything to the lower therefore, some steps are not necessary)

1.Disconnect battery ground cable. Drain cooling system.
2.Remove rocker arm covers. <~~~Not necessary for just the upper
3.Remove intake duct.
4.Remove distributor. Mark location of distributor on engine and rotor on distributor body. <~~~May not be necessary for just the upper
5.Disconnect throttle body from upper plenum.
6.Remove radiator hose and radiator fill inlet. <~~~May not be necessary for just upper
7.Disconnect heater hoses and the pipe to throttle body.
8.Disconnect wiring harness. <~~~Only applicable to items on the upper
9.Remove heater hoses and disconnect vacuum hoses.
10.Remove brake booster pipe and bracket.
11.Disconnect EGR pipe.
12.Remove upper manifold plenum and gaskets, Fig. 3.
13.Remove intermediate intake manifold and gasket. <~~~Obviously not necessary
14.Remove lower intake manifold and gaskets. <~~~Obviously not necessary
15.Reverse procedure to install. Refer to Fig. 3 for torque sequence. Torque lower intake manifold bolts to 19 ft. lbs. Torque intermediate intake manifold bolts to 15 ft. lbs. Torque upper manifold plenum bolts to 19 ft. lbs.

------------------
Fiero's Owned:

1987 Coupe 2.5 5spd May 99 - June 03
1987 GT V6 5spd July 30 2012 - Current

peterhirschberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhirschbergClick Here to visit peterhirschberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to peterhirschbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastfiero1:
Drain cooling system.

Thanks for the instructions! Drain the cooling system? Any reason? I'm a complete Fiero noob.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. don't drain the cooling system. You can use boxed end wrenches for the 12pt bolts.
Fastfiero1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastfiero1Send a Private Message to Fastfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, missed that. that step is to remove the lower part. no need for just the upper.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Intake Manifold is Three parts.
You don't need to drain coolant etc if you just change upper and maybe middle section(s). (I don't think middle bolts see coolant in the bottom part...)

Bottom has coolant flowing thru it. To remove/replace this is a much bigger job.

IF you can get at bottom of threads for the top section, spray w/ penetrating oil a few days before trying to remove the bolts.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-21-2016).]

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing you would need to drain some coolant for is if you take the throttle body off. If you just unbolt it from the intake and let it hang and undo the map sensor mount bolt and a bolt that holds the throttle body coolant lines from the upper plenum you can leave the cooling system sealed. Remove all the chrome 12 point bolts, throttle cable, cruise control cable and bracket, vacuum lines, brake booster and EGR tube. After that the upper plenum should be free to remove.

------------------
ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

[This message has been edited by FIEROPHREK (edited 07-21-2016).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

The only thing you would need to drain some coolant for is if you take the throttle body off. If you just unbolt it from the intake and let it hang and undo the map sensor mount bolt and a bolt that holds the throttle body coolant lines from the upper plenum you can leave the cooling system sealed. Remove all the chrome 12 point bolts, throttle cable, cruise control cable and bracket, vacuum lines, brake booster and EGR tube. After that the upper plenum should be free to remove.

^ ^ ^ This! ^ ^ ^

There are some vacuum hoses that plug in, underneath the upper section. Once you remove the bolts and screws, lift the manifold gently. You will see them (and the EGR tube.)
I don't know what years your engine and replacement upper are. 85 and 86 (with the sticker) are both the same. 87-88 (with the word "Fiero" engraved) are both the same, but slightly different from each other. The main difference being the diameter of the power brake booster line. 87-88 is a larger diameter fitting.

Edit - there is a 3/8" diameter L-shaped tube that runs from the lower intake to the back/bottom of the throttle body. Make sure it's plugged in securely when you put everything back together. Otherwise, it will cause a good size vacuum leak, and a fast idle.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-21-2016).]

peterhirschberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhirschbergClick Here to visit peterhirschberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to peterhirschbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
I don't know what years your engine and replacement upper are.

Sorry about that, it's an '88. The replacement I got looks exactly the same to me.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No prob. It's all good. Should be a direct swap.
Also added some info...
Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-21-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock