Stuck now with broken rusted sway bar bolt by Lou and Blue
Started on: 07-18-2016 11:30 AM
Replies: 7 (701 views)
Last post by: Lou and Blue on 07-21-2016 11:48 PM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I was wAiting for the control arm paint to dry, I decided to remove the front seat bar to paint it before changing its bushings when I went to remove the bracket bolt , I broke the bolt for my front sway bar bushing clamp in the chassis....so bummed. These bolts are rusted BAD.... Still hoping i can remove the pas side steering rack strap clamp so I can get a new lower control arm bolt in (front pass side Lower control arm bolt) I hope those boys don't want to grab and snap too.

This stinks.... I have never had any luck with an ez-out I've had them break out and make things even more of a problem.

------------------
Founder / President
Long Island's Little Fiero Owners Club
L.I.L.F.O.C.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT 3800sc series 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12, VIN #5835, Stock PRV engine, Peugot 604 Intake manifold, Exhaust headers, Anti-3rd brake light

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hosed it all down with PB blaster? It helps. If something is rusty it really helps to do it daily for a few days.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Hosed it all down with PB blaster? It helps. If something is rusty it really helps to do it daily for a few days.

X2 That penetrant stuff works.
Then after a couple of days, tap the bolt head with a hammer and put the wrench to it. If its a nut use a punch or long 1/4" grade 8 bolt to tap on the side but don't hit too hard.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been there, done that. I ended up using the Dremel and a carbide bit to grind a dimple into the broken bolt, then drill it out. While I was at it, I enlarged and tapped the bolt holes for SAE 3/8" bolts, and put some Grade 8 bolts in there.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be very possible to open that up for larger bolts. I snapped off the >LAST< bolt in my front suspension/subframe swap...I ended up drilling it out to 5/8" and then running a grade 8 1/2" carriage bolt and custom plate into the frame- The weld nut for the subframe bolts are larger than 5/8" in diameter- I could have tapped it to 7/16" and run that size bolt- but I wasn't sure of the size until I drilled it out to 5/8" and still had some metal left....I used a thick washer before the plate to clear the remains of the nut. And it is very hard to get any PB blaster in there- It needs to go up on top of the nut- and there is no access inside the frame rail.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TIp: If you drill broken bolts out use diamond or carbide drills. They will get that hole opened up in short order and minimize the chance that the bit will break off in there. In the case referenced here the caged nut has broken loose from its mount fin the frame. In extreme cases the nut needs to be cut out and another nut mig welded in place.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok drilled it out today oversized to a 3/8 16 thread hole . Bolt was $.54 at hardware store (hardened). So I'll have an oversized "special thread" only in that one spot.

With heating and soaking and tapping and jerking the ratchet instead of
Applying constant pressure, I was able to get the other three bolts out successfully.

Hopefully the steering rack bolts will ease out so I can get the pass side front LCA bolt in

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 07-21-2016).]

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou and Blue

1349 posts
Member since Dec 2013
Now onto getting the bump stops welded. I cut them today, not perfectly straight . But they will be shorter!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock