Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Is it worth fixing? Possible frame damage - my 87 GT after accident.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is it worth fixing? Possible frame damage - my 87 GT after accident. by CavScout
Started on: 06-22-2016 04:56 PM
Replies: 15 (556 views)
Last post by: CavScout on 07-11-2016 10:26 AM
CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2016 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, after a few months and thousands of dollars - and more labor and blood than I care to recount - I was hit yesterday.
(Dash cams and full coverage insurance, even if not totally ready for it, are good ideas in hindsight.)

In brief, as it may help form an opinion, 60 mph on the highway, when a car decided to try a cops pit maneuver on me that worked better than I've seen on TV. Took me by total surprise, he hit me in my blind spot. Sent me sideways when he promptly t-boned me as well. Somehow steered out of it and although the engine quit, I got it costed to the middle median. (He somehow managed to take off.)

Besides blowing out the drivers window (it was down, and still jumped out of the door.) every part on the drivers side needs work or replacement. Of bigger concern is I couldn't open the door until throwing my shoulder into it. Two pics will be circled - this is where I fear it's showing frame damage, but as I've never had all the skin off, I'm unsure if it's structural, or just a piece that isn't a big deal to fix/straighten/replace. (As it's by the door strike, I'm thinking structural.) Also, the drivers side tires are all out of wack. (No, I haven't had the heart to get it up in the air and do a better inspection - I'm frankly too pissed and depressed.)

After being flat bedded home, I was able to maneuver it into the driveway. She started and moved, but wasn't happy. Very disconcerting springy "popping boinging" noises came from the front end, and needless to say nothing tracked right.

Opinions are appreciated.
Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
freedom0226

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2016 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel your pain I was hit by a drunk driver 2 weeks after repainting my car and putting a bunch of work into it you need to take pictures so we can see the damage.. just so you know our cars qualify for Classic Insurance Hagerty Classic Insurance paid me $7,000 for my car when I got hit
CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2016 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by freedom0226:

I feel your pain I was hit by a drunk driver 2 weeks after repainting my car and putting a bunch of work into it you need to take pictures so we can see the damage.. just so you know our cars qualify for Classic Insurance Hagerty Classic Insurance paid me $7,000 for my car when I got hit

Yeah, figured I had to have it finished, to get it appraised. I had about 90% of what I wanted done finished before getting it appraised and fully insured. Kicking myself trust me.

Anyways, I'm wrestling with PIP now...
CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2016 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CavScout

258 posts
Member since Dec 2014

1Packrat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2016 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fixable... mine was that bad when a woman in a SUV drove me into a side of a bridge changing lanes while I was there. Control arms and tire rod ends for the wheels. Then removing side trim to get to the door jam. Pain but fixable. Body shop at the time said wow they are going to total this until he looked up the value of a GT. Then he said nope they gonna fix this one. Lucky for me she was stuck in the side of my car so she had no choice but to sit and wait for Johnny Law.
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2016 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did they catch the other driver who took off?
CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2016 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. Requested a review from highway cameras. Haven't heard anything back yet. I sat on the side of the highway for a half hour today hoping to spot the idiot as some folks I talked with said if it's their normal route, they'll revert to habit eventually. I also put out a Craigs ad hoping a witness would step forward.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2016 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VERY Fixable . Now is the time to make sure there is No Rust on the car (seeing as you are in buffalo) No rust, Definitely fix it !
mine was hit a lot worse, collected $3800, fixed it myself for $800.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2016 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember how all the magazines complained of how"overweight" the Fiero was back in the 80s? Well that works to our advantage now- The Fiero is a very safe car, basically meeting ALL of the safety requirements of a NEW car now, except of course, for the exploding face-whacker(Just wear your seatbelt!).........The car has plenty of structure strength to handle being straightened.....A large part of the damage appears to be suspension parts- they are replaceable....then a good body man can straighten the small amount of bent sheet-metal.....Go somewhere known for quality work.

Just be thankful you don't have a GREEN Fiero.......
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2016 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope you catch the S.O.B. that hit you. Bad enough he caused an accident, but a hit-and-run is lowest of the low....

Did you get a look at the other vehicle? I assume it would have damage as well, hopefully it is bad enough to be noticeable. Good luck with repairs AND catching the low-life.

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Just be thankful you don't have a GREEN Fiero.......

LOL! THAT was funny
They made the blue ones on Thursdays - they dried quickly
CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2016 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Remember how all the magazines complained of how"overweight" the Fiero was back in the 80s? Well that works to our advantage now- The Fiero is a very safe car, basically meeting ALL of the safety requirements of a NEW car now, except of course, for the exploding face-whacker(Just wear your seatbelt!).........The car has plenty of structure strength to handle being straightened.....A large part of the damage appears to be suspension parts- they are replaceable....then a good body man can straighten the small amount of bent sheet-metal.....Go somewhere known for quality work.

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

VERY Fixable . Now is the time to make sure there is No Rust on the car (seeing as you are in buffalo) No rust, Definitely fix it !
mine was hit a lot worse, collected $3800, fixed it myself for $800.

Car has pretty much zero rust as I just bought her in Kentucky. It's been so nice not struggling with rusted bolts LOL

And - she's in the garage and on wheel dollies shoved into the back corner - where she'll sit until next year at least. May spend the interium looking for a good frame shop, or collecting body parts. I'm really too heartbroken (as well as broke LOL) to do anything with her right now. As I haven't tracked down the idiot that hit me, I'll have to wait and see if the police turn up anything. (Doubtful. Cameras all over the highway here, but none with any info? I doubt it and just don't think anyone cares. Our tax dollars at work. Thanks NYS.)

Thanks for the words of advice all. She'll definitely NOT get scrapped or parted out - but she'll be sitting for awhile. Ugh.
PFF
System Bot
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2016 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cav, get a list together of what you may need. My '86 is down to just a shell and may be I can help you out. Rather see the parts used than thrown in the bin.

dan
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2016 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That should be a pretty easy fix. Don't forget to put Sta-Bil in the gas & start the car to circulate it.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
fierobug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2016 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Accidents are scary and really dangerous. You are ok and that is the most important thing. Had an accident last winter with my truck. Moved over because of a tailgater- hit the ice and away we go into the guard rail at fifty-five MPH - WOW! 12000 dollars damage for 2008 tacoma they wouldn't total it - about what it was worth! I would be just as upset with the fiero and all the work and cost etc. put in. Don't let it get you down. You can fix it and its going to be ok. Your OK CavScout. Stay cool.

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

That should be a pretty easy fix. Don't forget to put Sta-Bil in the gas & start the car to circulate it.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Good tip about the stabil thanks.

As far as parts, I'll get around to digging into the car. I admit it's got me down, and I just can't manage to get time to do it, or even start. Just lost my motivation, and have other projects I've had to work on. I turned in my plates... I'll get around to playing with her again just don't know when...

CavScout

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CavScout

258 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by bonaduce:

cav, get a list together of what you may need. My '86 is down to just a shell and may be I can help you out. Rather see the parts used than thrown in the bin.

dan

Thanks Dan.
No idea when I'll get around to seriously looking at her again to see what's needed. Just too much other stuff going on, as well as a bit of lack of motivation.

Mike

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock