Clutch not fully disengaging by fierofinder
Started on: 05-19-2016 12:11 AM
Replies: 39 (712 views)
Last post by: fierofinder on 07-18-2016 04:34 PM
fierofinder

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off the master and slave cylinders are new and I do have Rodney's double seal kit in the slave. With a clear hose connected to the bleeder valve I see no air bubbles when bleeding. I'm working with an 88 with getrag and with my research I have learned that the pushrod at the slave cylinder should travel 3\4 in and mine does. It has all new clutch and the fidanza aluminum flywheel installed. At first after bleeding system it shifted fine for about 15 min of driving or less and then rebled and same. Pretty sure I have correct length rod in the slave but haven't double checked yet. The only two possible solutions I can come up with is needing longer rod or grinding down the bracket so that the slave sits closer to the clutch throw arm. Any thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofinder:

Pretty sure I have correct length rod in the slave but haven't double checked yet.

What makes you suspect the slave rod might be the wrong length? Did you change it at some point?
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rod is the one that came with the new slave so unless it came with the wrong one it should be fine. When I got it I put Rodney's piston in. So should be correct one but lengthening it may help. I'm thinking maybe differences in new clutch and flywheel might be causing me issues.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just went through this same issue. We even tried longer push rods but still had the same problem. It's tough to get all the air out of the slave.

Try blocking the slave cylinder and bleeding the system again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwjrh4ezwdU

I removed the slave from the transmission and attached steering wheel puller to the front of the slave cylinder. I then threaded the puller bolt in to compress the slave piston all the way down and rebled the system. The benefit to doing it like this is that your not trying to bleed air out of the entire slave cylinder. Also, once bled you can tell if there is any air remaining in the system because the pedal will be spongy. Remove the puller and reinstall the slave.

The clutch worked great after bleeding the system with his method.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 05-19-2016).]

fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will try this method this evening thanks for the video link.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My clutch is the one that seajai just did this on. We fought with it for three evenings before he suggested we do this.

When the piston was compressed in with the puller and I pressed on the pedal after bleeding the system, the pedal would move down the tiniest bit, and then stop hard, like I had just pushed it against a rock.

Once the clutch was like that, we removed the puller bolt and let the slave pull fluid in from the master (while keeping it full).

Clutch feels better than it has in years.
ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check imacflier's post regarding this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwjrh4ezwdU

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ag9123:

Check imacflier's post regarding this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwjrh4ezwdU

If you notice, seajai posted that link directly above OP's response.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got to this. Bled it through a couple reservoirs worth of fluid. Had clear hose connected to bleeder valve and could see fluid coming out. Definitely no air in there. Still no difference though. What gets me is it is moving 3\4 inch which is what seems to be the correct amount of movement from what I have researched. I'm at a loss on this one.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofinder

636 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Guess there must be air in there though because I can press the piston into the slave cylinder by hand all the way end which is strange unless I'm pressing it back in to the reservoir. I'll check that.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofinder

636 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Got a second pair of eyes out there and that just pushes flood pack into reservoir. Gonna have to stick with my previous statement and say there is no air in system at this point.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is your clutch pedal hitting the floor when trying to disengage the clutch? If it is, it's possible your pedal (and/or banjo) is bent and/or the banjo is too short (as I've discovered there is a variation in banjo lengths). And the banjo has been installed with the loop up, right?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-24-2016).]

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Guess there must be air in there though because I can press the piston into the slave cylinder by hand all the way end which is strange unless I'm pressing it back in to the reservoir. I'll check that.

Compressing the slave piston will just push the fluid back into the master cylinder reservoir (the same way it does when you push a caliper piston back in during a brake job).

You should compress the slave piston all the way prior to bleeding. Bleed the system. Now leaving the piston fully compressed check the clutch pedal feel. If it's firm with almost no travel than I'd say you have all the air out and your problem lies elsewhere, if it feels soft, retry bleeding and recheck the feel.

fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember when installing master I wasn't sure which way the loop faced or whether it mattered. I'll go check that. And yes the pedal goes all the way down to the floor.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofinder

636 posts
Member since Apr 2007
So loop was down. I turned it over but didn't make any difference. Well if one or the other is bent I could just lengthen the banjo. I can cut it and thread it to make it adjustable.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... if one or the other is bent I could just lengthen the banjo. I can cut it and thread it to make it adjustable.

Yep (as long as the pedal isn't bent a lot, as that changes the banjo mount geometry).

Originally posted by Patrick Here:

I have seen clutch master cylinders with supplied banjos that are shorter than others. I've remedied this by making my own adjustable banjo (similar to what Rodney Dickman sells). This is done by cutting it in half and threading the banjo rod and then using a 5/16"x18 coupler.

fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just so I can be sure does anyone know what the travel distance or distance from floor board the pedal should be. Also Patrick you said you have seen variations in banjo length. Do you know what those lengths are? Thinking about it changing the length doesn't seem like it would help if the pedal is bent because I'm still only going to get the same amount of push til it hits the floor.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...changing the length doesn't seem like it would help if the pedal is bent because I'm still only going to get the same amount of push til it hits the floor.

No, that's not correct. If the pedal is bent (it's actually the mount for the banjo that bends), then you can't get the full throw before the pedal hits the floor. If the banjo length is maximized, then the pedal is raised further from the floor and the throw is increased. The trick is to extend the banjo as far as possible without preloading the master cylinder (as the pedal can only be raised so high before it hits a stop). Keep in mind though that there are some clutches that actually lose some of their disengagement if the throw is too much, so be vigilant when extending the banjo.

How high does your clutch pedal currently sit at rest? Normally, it should sit about a half inch or so so above the brake pedal. If you disconnect the banjo from your pedal and the pedal can be pulled up towards you more, then you're not getting the full throw possible.

fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could be wrong but it seemed to me the pedal was all the way as far up as it would go even with the banjo disconnected it would not pull up farther. I'll have to double check that when I get home.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofinder

636 posts
Member since Apr 2007
So the clutch pedal is as far up as is allowed and banjo is full extended. Pedal seems to sit about 1/2 in above brake. Tried longer slave rod by about 1/4 of an inch and no change. At this point I will bleed system once more just to be absolutely sure there is no air and if that don't work I might try a new master or rebuild kit. Master has been on it for awhile but never got much use since the car has been in build mode for so many years. The slave is new with Rodney's double seal piston. Might try the original seal in that if I still have it.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but when I suffered through my low clutch pedal miseries, the clutch pedal finally ended up a full inch above the break pedal.

Take one last look: make sure that when the pedal swings up it is stopped by hitting a metal bracket and not by the plunger on a switch! In my case the cruise control switch was adjusted such that the pedal was stopped by the switch and that prevented it from swinging up fully. You also can try this to check on the switch limiting issue: Just pull back HARD on the clutch pedal....if the plunger is adjusted too long, that will reset it (thanks for that info, Ogre!).

Good luck!
Larry

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2016 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

Take one last look: make sure that when the pedal swings up it is stopped by hitting a metal bracket and not by the plunger on a switch!

That's an excellent point!

I wonder whatever became of the OP's clutch issue.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2016 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The issue is that the clutch doesn't disengage fully. The height of the pedal being stopped by the switches won't affect the fact that pushing the pedal doesn't allow the car to shift gears.

Compress the slave cylinder's piston all the way in and hold it using a C-clamp so that it can't move. Bleed the air out of the system, and then tighten the bleeder.

Get in and press the clutch pedal until it stops.
You shouldn't get more than 3/4 to 1 inch of movement at the most before it can't move any more. If it is spongy, you have air in the line. If it compresses, you have a leak.
If it is solid and the pedal does not drop down any further, even when holding for a period of time, then remove the C-clamp and let the piston extend.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2016 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

The issue is that the clutch doesn't disengage fully. The height of the pedal being stopped by the switches won't affect the fact that pushing the pedal doesn't allow the car to shift gears.

Yes and no. The master only allows fluid to move from the bowl into the line when the piston is fully retracted. If the pedal/banjo is always slightly depressed the bleed hole is always covered.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2016 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
synthesis,

Those are great checks with the slave compressed....new ones to me, too! Now, as to the height of the clutch pedal not affecting clutch release....well that just turns out not to be the case: If the pedal cannot swing fully back, then the stroke of the master is less (fewer degrees of rotation around the pedal pivot shaft by the pedal), and less stroke in the master means less stroke at the slave and the clutch fails to disengage fully.

Larry
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2016 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Yes and no. The master only allows fluid to move from the bowl into the line when the piston is fully retracted. If the pedal/banjo is always slightly depressed the bleed hole is always covered.

That is a very valid point and I was unaware of that. Though, the OP has stated they were able to bleed fluid through the system, so that tells me the pedal is coming up high enough to allow the fluid to move from the bowl into the line.

imac, in response to your post, this is true, but my clutch is fully disengaged two inches above the floor, give or take a tiny amount. A half inch of travel isn't going to be the make or break unless you have air in the line. Check your clearances and make sure your clutch pedal is all the way up at full stop. If it is spaced away from the stop bracket and the switches aren't the cause, then you have a bent pedal that would affect things.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2016 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

The height of the pedal can make all the difference in the world. Without full height (or close to it), the pedal hits the floor before full stroke of the master. It may not be as much of an issue with a Getrag, but with the Isuzu it appears to be critical. A very happy Fiero owner posts about it Here.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-27-2016).]

fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2016 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. I purchased Rodney Dickmans master cylinder with adjustable banjo and no luck. With the banjo lengthen some the pedal now stops before it hits the floor so I know I'm getting a full throw. I bled new master using Rodney's method and I have bled the entire system with slave banjo blocked. I repeated the bleeding through several reservoirs worth of fluid to be sure I got all air out. I have no idea where to go from here. The clutch arm does not appear broke or bent. Reminder it was working but would lose clutch after short drive and then when it sat it would get better until it just stopped working completely one day. Could my issue be with clutch or flywheel. Both are new. Or pressure plate and throw out bearing. From what I have read my clutch arm over the correct distance for the getrag. No matter what I do that movement stays the same.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2016 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofinder

636 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Realized there were some new posts that I just read through. I will try checking for leaks using that method.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2016 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofinder

636 posts
Member since Apr 2007
With the slave clamped down there is no give on the pedal. Rock hard and I sat there for a little while holding it to see if it would move over time but nothing. Unless someone has another idea my next step is pull the dust plate a bottom and see if I can see something wrong.
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2016 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are over throwing the clutch it can re-engage making it hard to shift. If this is a 3800 or other swap with flywheel that is too thick and or aftermarket clutch, this can be an issue. Helped a friend with his swap with same issue. Try shifting with the clutch pedal a bit off the floor, if it's smooth like that, then your over extending. We ended up shortening his pedal to about flush with brake pedal, and it now works perfectly.

------------------
10.007 @ 135.54MPH. <-- Video
Best 60' 1.42
Best mph 137.66
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 140lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, stock L32 bottom end and heads.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

PFF
System Bot
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2016 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the fidanza aluminum flywheel and new clutch. I'll try shifting with pedal at different heights.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2016 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofinder

636 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Your a genius. Only push the pedal a little over half way and it shifts smooth. Well as smooth as a Fiero shifts any ways. Just need to shorten my banjo to the perfect spot and problem solved. Thank you.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2016 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofinder

636 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Shortened the banjo as far as it would go but still reengages just before it hits the floor. It's a fairly small area of disengagement so I need it at a stopping point so I'm not having to guess. I will either shorten the banjo more or find a way to limit the pedal from going down farther.
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Friends car worked with Rodney's banjo as short as it could go, but optimally a bit shorter would have been better. Should be able to thread it some more, maybe cut the shaft a bit if they bottom out, and get it to work.

------------------
Best 60' 1.42
Best mph 137.66
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 140lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, stock L32 bottom end and heads.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Shortened the banjo as far as it would go but still reengages just before it hits the floor. It's a fairly small area of disengagement so I need it at a stopping point so I'm not having to guess. I will either shorten the banjo more or find a way to limit the pedal from going down farther.

You could always take the brute force method and put a block of wood on the floorboards of a thickness such that the clutch has disengaged but not yet re-engaged. Gives you a functional Fiero while you continue to correct the base problem!

Larry
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought about doing something like that but I already removed the master and took some length off the banjo. Hate that there is such a short area of disengagement. Not sure what can fix that except for putting stock flywheel back in. Never really could shift a Fiero very quickly anyways.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hate that there is such a short area of disengagement. Not sure what can fix that except for putting stock flywheel back in.

This has gone into territory beyond my area of expertise. However, I would think that the dimensions of the Fidanza aluminum flywheel would be the same as the factory steel unit that it replaces.
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think it's a flywheel thickness issue, as much as a clutch design issue. The slave will only go a set amount of travel regardless of initial position, it self adjusts for clutch wear in that way. My friends car has a spec clutch, and it is also using a fwd trans with internal clutch lever. The internal lever ratio is higher than the stock Fiero external lever creating more throw with less travel of the slave, added to the spec pressure plate and it would over throw the clutch. Too thick of a flywheel will cause the pressure plate to hit the inside of the transmission. As long as you can remove the slave and move the clutch lever back and forth a bit, to ensure its not touching the transmission and pressure plate at the same time, and the pressure plate does not hit the transmission when running, the flywheel thickness is ok.

------------------
Best 60' 1.42
Best mph 137.66

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just never had an issue before installing this flywheel. I would have to say that I don't think my old slave was very good though. I may not have been getting a good push with my old one. Regardless I did get the master back in and I can now shift smoothly with the pedal on the floor. Grabs quick, but I think I can get use to that.

So now that I can drive it, back to tuning. Thank you everyone for your help with this.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock