Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Fiero 4.9 - Alternator Problem, Feint Buzzing Noise w/Engine Off and Key Out

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiero 4.9 - Alternator Problem, Feint Buzzing Noise w/Engine Off and Key Out by Warlordsix
Started on: 04-26-2016 10:43 PM
Replies: 17 (630 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 04-29-2016 07:29 PM
Warlordsix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2016 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, guys.

New to the forum and new to Fieros, but a long-time fan of them, especially those with engine swaps. So, last week I picked up a nice, completed '87 with a '92 Deville engine and 5-speed Getrag. Runs great, but I have a slight drain thru the alternator. Previous owner said it was a recently installed reman. From my quick inspection tonight it looks like it has a three-wire plug plus the heavy battery lead running to the stud. Haven't yet pulled anything off yet to get a good look. CS130 I presume. Also, the gauge cluster has a voltmeter (shows around 13 volts w/engine running and cooling fan on), but no idiot light.

The question - how do you guys have your alternator wired? I've searched the forum, but haven't yet found anything clearly on point.

In any case, something on my alternator is clearly getting a constant, 12v from the battery when the engine is off.

Many thanks for your thoughts on this.

Ernie

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2016 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF!

Mickey Moose has the best electrical write-up for the 4.9. That should help confirm the wiring.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/098096.html

Do you have a multi-meter? You need to set it to Amps, and put it in series with the battery with the engine shut off. Check the drain. It should be about 0.02A...any more than that and you do have a drain. Lots of write-ups (many recent ones too) talk about trouble shooting the drain if you in fact have one. Check the tech section posts over the last few weeks.
Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2016 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many thanks for the welcome. Looks like a super forum. As to my alternator, I will search again for posts on this problem. In any case, yes, I've got a multi-meter and will get after this thing on the weekend and post again with results, etc.

All the best.

Ernie
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.google.com/sear...CgC&biw=1600&bih=731

Avoid the results that came up that are for the CS130D. That is a different alternator. The CS130 plug has one larger and three smaller terminals. The CS130D has four all the same size.

You should have constant +12v on the large red wire wired to the larger terminal. That IS how the alternator should be wired. The draw on that terminal should be less than 50mA. The alternator should not be making a noise due to the voltage being present on that terminal.

You should have 12v switched running through the bulb to the L (lamp) terminal. If the bulb isn't present, there might be a resistor hidden somewhere to emulate the bulb.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-27-2016).]

Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Phonedawgz. The google schematics will be helpful when I dig into this on the weekend. As you say, I have no bulb, but I do have a voltmeter in the dash. I have no idea where the PO might hae placed a resistor, but will look. The strange thing is, from what I can see of the alternator so far, it looks like the plug has only three wires, not four. The fourth wire is the heavy, red lead that first runs to the post, and then a lighter gauge wire from that terminal to the three-wire plug.

Thanks, again, for the help.

Ernie
pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Faint Buzzing? Could it be the fuel pump still running? If the fuel pressure sensor is bad it can sometimes indicate "oil pressure" even
when the engine is off and that will keep power connected to the fuel pump. You can test this by disconnecting the
fuel pressure sensor and see if the noise goes away.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pdemondo:

Faint Buzzing? Could it be the fuel pump still running? If the fuel pressure sensor is bad it can sometimes indicate "oil pressure" even
when the engine is off and that will keep power connected to the fuel pump. You can test this by disconnecting the
fuel pressure sensor and see if the noise goes away.

Don't you mean oil pressure sensor?

pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Don't you mean oil pressure sensor?

Yes.
Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, guys, but the noise is definitely coming from the alternator. It is still receiving current when the key is off. First, I have to sort out the wiring to the alternator to figure out how the PO wired it. Then, if that seems correct, then I will suspect a bad alternator. Might a bad diode allow a drain like I am experiencing?

Ernie

[This message has been edited by Warlordsix (edited 04-27-2016).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On an '84-'86 Fiero I'd suspect a faint buzzing noise with the key off to be a headlight motor not turning off properly. But I don't think there's that same issue with the 2nd generation headlight motors on the '87-'88 Fieros.

But you say the buzzing is actually coming from the alternator itself? Weird. My experience with a failed diode in a regulator is that the alternator simply doesn't charge properly. I've never heard a buzz.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should have continuity from the gage fuse to terminal L (brown wire), and continuity from the Battery Junction Terminal to the small red wire and large charge wire.
Key OFF with both checks.
Terminal L will not have 12VDC until Key ON.
PFF
System Bot
Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, again, guys. Patrick, this car has had the headlight upgrade installed, i.e. no motors, flush mount headlights. Olejoedad, the info you provided looks like it should really help. I no longer have a charge light, just the gauge/voltmeter in the dash. Does that make a difference regarding wiring to the alternator? Thanks, again.

Ernie
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Warlordsix:

Thanks, again, guys. Patrick, this car has had the headlight upgrade installed, i.e. no motors, flush mount headlights. Olejoedad, the info you provided looks like it should really help. I no longer have a charge light, just the gauge/voltmeter in the dash. Does that make a difference regarding wiring to the alternator? Thanks, again.

Ernie

If there is no light to provide resistance on the LAMP circuit, it is necessary to wire in a resistor. Sorry, don't recall the resistor value off the top of my head.
RockinRoger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockinRogerSend a Private Message to RockinRogerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen 35, 82 and 510 ohms @ 5 watts. I think I'd go with the 82 that Painless recommends.
Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, so here is what I've determined. PO wired the alternator as follows:

S Terminal - Hot w/key off.
F Terminal - No juice w/key off. Ignition
L Terminal - Hot w/key off. It is fed by a jumper that runs to the post on the back of the alternator (The post also connects to a heavy, red wire. It is direct to battery.
P Terminal - Not used.

So, from the various schematics I've found online, I believe the problem is with the L Terminal. When used, it is to be used to a keyed source (with a charge lamp). If no charge lamp, then the F Terminal is to be used with the keyed source...but I'm not sure if F and L terminals are supposed to be used simultaneously. It's one or the other, I believe.

Ernie

[This message has been edited by Warlordsix (edited 04-29-2016).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. Try disconnecting it, see if your alternator still works and if so leave it off permanently.
Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Phonedawgz.

I've tried it both ways today. Hooked up and disconnected. The crazy thing is the alternator doesn't seem to work with the L terminal disconnected. With it off my voltmeter shows just under 12 volts, but with it hooked up it shows its normal 14 volts. My thinking is I need to find a keyed 12V for it, not the constant 12V it gets with it hooked up the way the PO has wire it.

BUT, I'm happy to say, with L disconnected from the constant 12V, the feint buzzing noise from the alternator goes away! I've found the drain.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Connect it to the brown wire in position B3 of C500. That is where it should have been connected. Your charge light will work, your battery won't drain, and your alternator won't buzz.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-29-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock