4.9 motor mount torque strut by Dizzixx
Started on: 04-21-2016 05:23 PM
Replies: 12 (524 views)
Last post by: Dizzixx on 04-29-2016 08:52 AM
Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone link me a thread with a 4.9 torque strut motor mount setup? I went with the 3 point setup when I did my install and have always had problems eating motor mounts. I would like to solve this issue and was thinking I would do the factory style torque strut but I couldn't find a thread with details.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An 88 Lateral link is just the right size. Use one of the bolts in the head and fab up some tabs to weld to the cradle.
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have trouble finding 88's in the yards, but I used a link from the rear of a maxima. I think the sebring convertible had one that was a good length too.

I have not had any significant movement so far.
this is on an 87 though.

[This message has been edited by gen2muchwork (edited 04-22-2016).]

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is an 87, any idea the vintage and style of maxima? I'm liking the adjustable length.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With strong mounts and a 4 corner mounting, you probably don't need a strut. The V8 RWD cars of the past used two front mounts and one mount at the transmission shaft. They held fine. The 4.9 install uses two mounts at the tranny end. I have not heard of any problems with the 4 corner mount method but maybe some users can chime in.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Don Adkins

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don AdkinsSend a Private Message to Don AdkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found an adjustable rear suspension link on a Kia Sorento at the junkyard. Had to shorten it about 4 inches, but this was a project that involved welding anyway, so it was no big deal.
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dizzixx:

Mine is an 87, any idea the vintage and style of maxima? I'm liking the adjustable length.

I liked that part too.
I don't know what year the maxima was, but it looked like the late 90's style. maybe up to 2003

edit: looked up some images of maxima rear suspensions. looks like they call it a parallel link and appears to be a # 55121-89E0A and shows in a 92. Probably other years too.
But, I'm pulling this from my memory of a car I pulled one part off of at a junkyard quite a while ago. It would be worth double checking the length to be sure.

[This message has been edited by gen2muchwork (edited 04-25-2016).]

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know the hole to hole length of the 88' lateral link? bolt hole diam?

Wondering if I might just go the McMasterCarr route...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#end-links/=126f02i
http://www.mcmaster.com/#tu...ecting-rods/=126f0ul
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From Bloozberry:
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. Thanks.
PFF
System Bot
Raymac85

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Raymac85Send a Private Message to Raymac85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey my buddy John builds performance parts for the 4.9, just thought you'd like to know beings you're doing a 4.9 setup. He does performance intakes, distributors, and headers. Here's a link to his website if you want to check it out.

Johns49performance.com

[This message has been edited by Raymac85 (edited 04-28-2016).]

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I imagine this has been done elsewhere before but I have been away from the forums for some time. Can anyone link here to that thread or vouch for Rayman and his friend here in this one? In the past I dealt with Rockcrawl and Stickpony and was very pleased with the services offered by both of them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock