Custom made aluminum front hubs, 84-87 by sluppy123
Started on: 04-07-2016 10:16 AM
Replies: 27 (1907 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 12-29-2017 04:34 PM
sluppy123

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been toying with this idea for awhile, Custom made front hubs. Any modified cast iron hub is way to heavy IMHO and this is a better option. Plus I can compensate for the rotor hat thickness and make them with any bolt pattern out there. The pictures also show my new front brakes for 84-87 cars that us the Buick enclave rotor and an 88 Fiero caliper. This is by far the lightest combo out there in a 13" size. Will be selling those swap brackets shortly. The hubs weigh around 3lbs and the typical modified weights 7 lbs. Im machining them from 7075 High strength alunimum.

[This message has been edited by sluppy123 (edited 04-07-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work!

Reminds me of my Wilwoods on my Nova Wagon.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is something I have been thinking there could be a relatively big market for- Everyone who is not trying to restore to stock their Fiero is putting larger brakes on- and then you gain more scrub radius-Which is already too big on the 84-87s. Some aftermarket company apparently did this a while back, but stopped. I think they were failing- if you can make it strong and prove it in a few of the vehicles that are raced, you'd really have something. Your brake bracket is a real beauty- I'd expect this to be also. I like the large amount of webbing I'm seeing on yours. Let us know when you are ready to sell them.
sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are ready now. I have had testers running them and running a set myself. No track testing yet as it's been winter in most parts. I would love to get a set in a racers hands, know of anyone??

Originally posted by cvxjet:

This is something I have been thinking there could be a relatively big market for- Everyone who is not trying to restore to stock their Fiero is putting larger brakes on- and then you gain more scrub radius-Which is already too big on the 84-87s. Some aftermarket company apparently did this a while back, but stopped. I think they were failing- if you can make it strong and prove it in a few of the vehicles that are raced, you'd really have something. Your brake bracket is a real beauty- I'd expect this to be also. I like the large amount of webbing I'm seeing on yours. Let us know when you are ready to sell them.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I don't...How much are you going to charge? What you really need is someone to run the crap out of them on a track, even a few excursions. I was looking at some hubs sold in Europe for German Opel front ends(Used for kit cars- including Lotus 7 kits, I believe) but it was for 4 lug wheels, and their webbing was so thick there was no way to redrill them for 5. Yours are 7075, so they are basically as strong as a steel one of the same shape.

A little back story; My Father owned a Jowett Jupiter- A truly bizarre British car(Even by their standards!).....Flat-4, water-cooled with the Radiator behind the engine, with Torsion-bar suspension front and rear, a column shifter- They won twice at Le Mans in the 1.5L class. The reason the company went under was because the cranks kept breaking- There were no fillets, so it was easy for a crack to form. They corrected the problem, but it was too late. Your hubs look like they have fillets, so they should be very strong!
sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm charging $400 a pair. No sharp corners at all. The Webb's are 1/2" thick with .125 fillets. I've been making aerospace parts for 8 years and toolmaker for 16. These hubs are STRONG, need to find someone that can beat on a set.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm very interested in buying a set- But I probably won't qualify as a good testing subject- I hit some horrid bumps sometimes- But I make an effort to avoid them....And I have some high-quality performance tires, but they are AS and only 205/225 wide. I am, however, sideways around most freeway cloverleafs. I also have a set of your brake brackets to mount the 88 calipers w/Vette 12" discs....I can machine them to fit the new offset, but do you have brackets made already- Yours are nicely painted, and if I machine mine they will be either contacting Steel to aluminum, or I can paint them- What paint would you suggest to touch them up?
sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm very confident in the design and material, not concerned with failure. If I made you a set with an offset face all you would need to do is remove 1/4"-5/16" off the bosses where they bolt to the knuckle. And possibly shorten the bolts if they contact anything. I powder coat them but any black paint would protect the area you remove material from.

[This message has been edited by sluppy123 (edited 04-07-2016).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent Sluppy!
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look really good .The AL hubs that failed were made by RCC .I had a set , but I sent them back because the discs that the kit came with had too sloppy of a fit on to the hubs . They did not have the extra gussetting that these hubs have .I use Street Dreams drop spindles and they came with AL hubs as well but much heavier duty than the RCC .The other advantage with Street Dreams is the wheel bearings are from 3rd gen Camaro/ Firebird and are bigger and stronger than Fiero bearings . Street Dreams spindles are no longer available . If I did not have a set already I would jump at a set of these hubs .Great work .
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the concept of the lighter aluminum hub to offset the weight of a larger rotor. The flexibility in offset and wheel patterns will also be beneficial.
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like those '88 Fiero calipers up front. That looks like a great option for those of us who have a pre-88 Fiero with the '88 cradle swap.
sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I like those '88 Fiero calipers up front. That looks like a great option for those of us who have a pre-88 Fiero with the '88 cradle swap.

I actually ditched my C6 setup up front for them. Better fit for the car and way less weight. My car is an 87gt with and 88 cradle, 13" rotors on the back also.
can machine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for can machineSend a Private Message to can machineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beauty work. I'm a machinist and know how much work those would be. What bearings are used in them? Stock?
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sluppy123:
I've been toying with this idea for awhile, Custom made front hubs. Any modified cast iron hub is way to heavy IMHO and this is a better option. Plus I can make them with any bolt pattern out there.

The bonus of being lighter set aside.......

The ability to do custom bolt patterns will have people jumping all over these! There are a lot of people fighting with wheel offset and such with adapters to make nice looking wheels work. Compromising by having the wheels stick out a little to get the wheel to work. The ability to make the rotor to fit virtually any wheel on the market, no adapter plate required, is a HUGE PLUS!

Great work!

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 04-07-2016).]

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2016 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm using the stock bearings. Looking at the load ratings and the weight of the car they are more than needed, just keep them well greased, I also used the stock bearings because they leave more material in the hub for strength.

Originally posted by can machine:

Beauty work. I'm a machinist and know how much work those would be. What bearings are used in them? Stock?

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-08-2016 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm using the stock bearings. Looking at the load ratings and the weight of the car they are more than needed, just keep them well greased, I also used the stock bearings because they leave more material in the hub for strength.

I think most people that want to use other bearings, want to do so because OE Fiero bearings are no longer available, and the replacements are generally nowhere near as sturdy as the stock bearings.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2016 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

check your PM and take my money!
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2016 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work, thoughts on this vs c5 front brakes?

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2016 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what what I use the car for the 13" enclave rotors and 88 fiero calipers is perfect for me. Great peddle feel and braking power, feels like a modern car. I also have the "S10" booster and full size blazer master cylinder. I will have brackets for this swap available soon.

Originally posted by ericjon262:

Nice work, thoughts on this vs c5 front brakes?

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2016 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd probally be in for a set if you upgraded the bearing and had it drilled for 5x114.3 (my car is already 5x114.3)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Custom2M4 (edited 04-09-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2016 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sticking with the stock size bearings, they are more than ample for the weight of the car. Even on the track. I'm using premium Timken races and bearings. I can drill them to any bolt pattern you want.

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

I'd probally be in for a set if you upgraded the bearing and had it drilled for 5x114.3 (my car is already 5x114.3)

mender

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2016 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for menderSend a Private Message to menderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to verify, I've been running the stock front wheel bearings in endurance racing, have about 60 hours on the original factory wheel bearings that had 80,000 miles on them before going racing. No issues despite sticky tires and pushing hard. Repacked three times with quality grease.

[This message has been edited by mender (edited 04-15-2016).]

Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these still being made?
Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero 3.8 turbo sees trackdays quite often.
If I had the spare cash, I would be interested.
I've allready had a machined down disc/hub crack near one of the wheel bolts.
Regards,
Rafe
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
Are these still available? Of those that did purchase them, I would like your feedback.
Cordially,
kevin
ksibley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2017 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ksibleySend a Private Message to ksibleyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in a set. I've been a racer for past 7 years (Racing Spec Miata's). I am also a member of the Maritime High Performance Driving Club and run my 1984 Fiero Custom w/355 SBC swap at 12 to 14 track day events each season. Tight and technical race track that puts lots of stress and strain on bearings, spindles, etc. (www.atlanticmotorsportpark.com). I am also an Engineer with 30 years of mechanical systems R&D and testing experience. Perhaps we should talk?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2017 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set and they are very nice.....Sluppy123 had a posting in the Mall(Edit; Last posting May 2017)....You may try searching(Google search; "Aluminum brake swap hubs Pennocks") for that or possibly sending him a PM....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 12-29-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock