Throttle body heater by greasyphil
Started on: 04-06-2016 03:21 PM
Replies: 7 (282 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-07-2016 12:18 AM
greasyphil

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasyphilSend a Private Message to greasyphilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its well known engines like cool air because its more dense therefore has more oxygen per sq ft,more power and better MPG, i can see the reason for the hot water heater pipes during warm up, has anyone installed a temperature controlled valve or done away with the hot water pipes?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by greasyphil:

its well known engines like cool air because its more dense therefore has more oxygen per sq ft,more power and better MPG, i can see the reason for the hot water heater pipes during warm up, has anyone installed a temperature controlled valve or done away with the hot water pipes?

People have removed them. I figured if GM put them there, it was for a good reason.

I should add, that in one of my old trucks, during the winter, sometimes the carb (not the same, but similar idea) would ice up... not fun.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 04-06-2016).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Air velocity and moisture can contribute to icing....it does not have to be freezing weather....so I think I would keep it where you live.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's a relatively common modification to remove the coolant lines from the Fiero's TB. I've removed them from my daily-driver (all year round) '88 Formula with no negative repercussions. YMMV. I wouldn't do it in a colder climate.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
Air velocity and moisture can contribute to icing....it does not have to be freezing weather....so I think I would keep it where you live.

Yes.
Depending on:
TB/TBI/Carb design
Air temp
Moisture content

Freezing can even happen at "room temp" IOW 60-80°F
Freezing can be annoying to very dangerous depending when it happens.
You can stall or stuck open and won't idle.

300 and most 220 TBI have Thermac to prevent same problem. (220 TBI is for V6 and V8)
700 TBI doesn't need Themac but Intake and TBI get heat... Coolant to heater goes thru intake.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Depending on:
TB/TBI/Carb design
Air temp
Moisture content

Ice forming on a carburetor is not unusual, but I've never seen any evidence of ice on a non-injector TB such as what the Fiero 2.8 has. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it must take awfully special conditions... which I've yet to experience.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Ice forming on a carburetor is not unusual, but I've never seen any evidence of ice on a non-injector TB such as what the Fiero 2.8 has. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it must take awfully special conditions... which I've yet to experience.
Yet GM spend money to route coolant to V6 TB... GM Never spend money w/o very good reason because Just One extra $ x thousands to millions of units will add up fast. Same Engine was used on Cavalier and others.

Yes, Many people remove that w/o problems. Some to many have and most just don't post the plan backfired.

When/if it happens... Freezing could be main throttle bore, IAC passage, or both.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yet GM spend money to route coolant to V6 TB...

Well of course they did Ogre, because when GM (or any auto manufacturer) makes a car, it could end up anywhere and it needs to be able to run properly... no matter what the elevation, no matter what the humidity, no matter what the temperature.

I'm not suggesting anyone remove these lines without at least being aware of the potential consequences.

All I know is that where I live, it's not going to be a problem with removing the coolant lines to the TB on a V6 Fiero.

I realize that eight years is a drop in the bucket in regards to the history of mankind, but that's the number years I've had no icing up issues with any of my daily-driver V6 Fieros.

Many people remove that w/o problems. Some to many have and most just don't post the plan backfired.

Ogre, I promise, I swear... if I ever have a problem with a TB icing up on one of my Fieros, I will start a thread here and announce it to the world.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-09-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock