Wagner brake pad confusion by Scott574
Started on: 03-22-2016 07:20 PM
Replies: 5 (1446 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 03-23-2016 06:10 PM
Scott574

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott574Send a Private Message to Scott574Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to figure out what is going on with the Wagner brake pads for the Fiero. After searching old topics I decided to go with the Wagner Thermoquiet MX 261 and MX262, I discovered they were discontinued and replaced with the Quickstop ZX 261 and ZX262, I ordered a set thru Amazon around Christmas, and installed, or tried to install them this past weekend. The rear (262) went on fine, but I was unable to install the front (261) as the spring clip on the inboard shoe is off center. I was hoping it was a manufacturing defect and to purchase a replacement set. No such luck.

The ZX line shows a 1-2 month delivery time on Amazon. All of the local shops don't even list the ZX line in their computers, but still show the MX line as available, but out of stock. Any idea as to what is going on? I've posted a pic of the new pad next to the old one I took off for comparison.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wagner apparently has changed name to "Perfect Stop". These are believed to be the same as the discontinued "Thermo Quiet " . For 84-87, new part numbers below. Double check me on this because there has been a lot of confusion on the part numbers during the transition.

Perfect Stop PS261M Front Semi Metallic Brake Pads

Perfect Stop PS262M Rear Semi Metallic Brake Pads

See this link for location near you

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

[This message has been edited by Ponnari (edited 03-22-2016).]

Scott574

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott574Send a Private Message to Scott574Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ponnari:

Wagner apparently has changed name to "Perfect Stop". These are believed to be the same as the discontinued "Thermo Quiet " . For 84-87, new part numbers below. Double check me on this because there has been a lot of confusion on the part numbers during the transition.

Perfect Stop PS261M Front Semi Metallic Brake Pads

Perfect Stop PS262M Rear Semi Metallic Brake Pads

I'll check into that as well. Still confusing as the PS pads aren't listed on Wagner's web site, but appear to have a site of their own. The only lines listed on the site I reference are the OE, TQ, QS, and severe duty.

Scott574

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2016 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott574Send a Private Message to Scott574Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I contacted Federal Mogul, the maker of wagner pads. They confirmed that the MX ThermoQuiet and ZX Quickstop lines have been discontinued. The PS PerfectStop line is current and in stock at their warehouse. Bennett Auto Supply does not stock them, but can special order them with a 2 week lead time.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2016 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess we need to horde brake pads.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2016 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott574:

... The rear (262) went on fine, but I was unable to install the front (261) as the spring clip on the inboard shoe is off center. I was hoping it was a manufacturing defect and to purchase a replacement set. No such luck.
... Any idea as to what is going on? I've posted a pic of the new pad next to the old one I took off for comparison.

You're right about the clips being off center.
I bought what was probably the last set of Thermoquiets availble on Amazon, and installed them on an 84 that I recently sold. (They were just bouncing around loose in a terribly beat up box.) I didn't have any trouble with them at all.

I've also had good luck with Raybestos pads, if you can't find the Wagners of your choice.
All of my experience is with 88s, however.
YMMV.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock