Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Adjust shifter so backup lights stay on?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Adjust shifter so backup lights stay on? by CSM842M4
Started on: 03-21-2016 03:44 PM
Replies: 5 (528 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 03-22-2016 09:29 PM
CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2016 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man! It's been a busy day of wrenching on the '84 at the Miller house. But we racked up many minor victories, to include: headlights go up AND down now; restored the power/lighter plug operation; installed a radio and discovered a previous owner had removed the dash speakers. But in the process, I also discovered that the shifter apparently needs some adjustment or repair. Here's the deal - I thought the backup lights were more darks, because when I would shift into Reverse and go to the back of the car, they were not burning. Pulled one of them out of the taillight assembly and laid it where I could see it from inside the car, Then, when shifting to R and holding the shifter there, the bulbs were lit. If I let go of the shifter knob, it would snap back to more or less the middle position (Neutral) and let the arm come off the backup light switch. But the transmission remained in Reverse even with the knob in the middle. It still took a pull backwards to get it out of Reverse. What's up with that? BTW, this car has the 2.5l and the 4-speed trans. For now. Is this behavior normal? Do I need to build a gated shifter trim panel, or is there an adjustment or repair that I need to look at? As always, any input is greatly appreciated. TIA - Chris
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MadProfessor8138

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2016 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should probably do two things.....
1. Adjust your cables to make shifting easier and gear selection more accurate.....is the shifter a little sloppy or hard to find the gear you want?
2. Adjust your back up switch to keep lights on.

Use the search feature to look through past threads on how to adjust the cables...won't take you more than 10-15 minutes to do the work and it makes a world of difference in shifting.
To adjust the back up light switch pull the plastic cover off the gear selector and simply turn the screw on the switch to adjust the length.
I would make a bet and say that if you adjust your cables properly you won't need to adjust your switch.

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2016 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your answer may be in some of these (borrowed) pics. Look for a round roller similar to one that holds a car door open so the wind won't blow it shut.
When it gets too worn the door will not stay open. Same with shifter. It will not stay in the correct position to keep the backup light switch engaged.

If I could only find the link to these pics it would explain how to fix your problem.

Follow the bread crumbs below.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2016 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spoon

3762 posts
Member since May 2004
ok, here's a starter link for you.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-113817.html

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spoon, you the man! That looks like a pretty quick and simple project for next days off. In the lower two pictures, are we looking at older vs. newer 4-speed shifters? I can see how the bottom pic shows the same detent arrangement as the shifter labeled "4 speed" in the top pic. Thanks again for the links and images. Let you know how it goes... - Chris
Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CSM842M4:

Spoon, you the man! That looks like a pretty quick and simple project for next days off. In the lower two pictures, are we looking at older vs. newer 4-speed shifters? I can see how the bottom pic shows the same detent arrangement as the shifter labeled "4 speed" in the top pic. Thanks again for the links and images. Let you know how it goes... - Chris

Yes I believe the lower pic is the newer version.

Good luck.

Spoon

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock