4.9 engine numbers...what's the deal? by MadProfessor8138
Started on: 03-14-2016 08:55 PM
Replies: 24 (544 views)
Last post by: stickpony on 03-31-2016 01:22 PM
MadProfessor8138

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didnt start the 4.9 conversion in my car,engine and tranny were there when I bought it,so I have no idea what year this engine is.
I'm pretty sure I need this information to have my chip burnt.
After climbing all over and under the engine tonight I came up with one number that was located on a official GM tag down by the starter on the block.
The number is.... *6RU256057
I'm assuming that is an engine VIN number and not a engine casting number,is this correct?
I've had no luck cross referencing the number on the net.
Can anyone help figure out what year this engine is and what it came out of?
Kevin
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the R (10th digit of the vin) indicates 1994.

(I was assuming that was part of a 17 digit number...)

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 03-14-2016).]

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That number isn't part of the vehicle VIN number.... It's suppose to be the engine VIN number,according to the information I found on the net pertaining to engine numbers.
I knew the car had a VIN number but from what I've read,the engine also has a VIN number so you can varify if that is the original engine that came in the car and not a replacement engine.
Who knew.......

Makes sense though,if you want a numbers matching car that would be a good way to assure everything was original and nothing had been replaced.

I'm just having a hard time referencing that particular engine number....I may have to break down and call the GM dealership and see how unhelpful they will be.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never looked at the code on my engine. But the sequence you gave matches the last part of a vin...where R is 1994. Someone else will have to jump in to say if there is a correlation between the two.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to call the GM dealer tomorrow and see if they can be of any help...I'm not holding my breath though....since I'm not spending a fist full of money they probably won't make much effort in helping.
Hopefully I'm wrong....fingers crossed.
I will post what I find out tomorrow.

gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not so sure the year it is would matter as much as the year it was wired for and what the ecu number is. If you are using the auto from it, the tag on that is easy to cross to a year, if it is readable.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well,after calling 4 Cadillac dealerships,2 GM dealers,2 parts store,a speed shop and a local Cadillac "Guru"...no luck.
Nobody would take the time to reference the numbers for me.....they all said to get online and look it up....Gee,why didn't I think of that,duh !!!
Guess it's back to climbing all over the engine again in hopes of finding a number that I didn't spot before in two hours.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadProfessor8138

351 posts
Member since May 2015
I forgot to mention....the tag from the tranny is missing.
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadProfessor8138:

I forgot to mention....the tag from the tranny is missing.

that might prove to be a pain.

unless it really is a 94, in which case only the caddy k body got a 4t60e, and the was only one ratio, and the tag would have been 4ATW 3.06/31 with 37/33
somehow you will have to identify the trans and it's ratio for programming, if the ecm is not from the same car. I think.

Did the engine come with exhaust manifolds? 2 o2 sensors?
Did the engine and trans come together? Did the ecm come from the same car?

I think if engine/trans are original pair, you will be able to identify exact year through trans easier than engine. almost every year made slight changes in valve body, accumulator, differential, etc. but, you will have to tear into it a little to find out...

[This message has been edited by gen2muchwork (edited 03-15-2016).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine block doesn't matter they are all the same. ECM does. IIRC 94+ is different 91-93 are the same.

If you have the 2240 (I think) ECM - just follow my thread and have it programmed for the 91 year. If the other ECM you may have to wire it a bit different and have the it programmed for the 94+ year

Granted it has been a long time since I look at this stuff, so I could be off on the years.

NOTE: there is a difference in the wiring on the models as well - my thread is based on the 91 Deville wiring.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I know....the engine ,tranny and ECM are all matching.
I have the numbers from the ECM if anyone can identify the year this way.

SVC # 16132240
Barcode # 857075151140065
Chip holder block # 68767 96295 1

PFF
System Bot
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That definitely narrows it down to 91-93. But I don't know the references to the other numbers.

I think there is a set of 4letters on that ecm tag that are important. Somewhere on the right side of the label. Should be on the chip itself too.
If you can find that....
I can tell you what year the ecm is at least.

[This message has been edited by gen2muchwork (edited 03-15-2016).]

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May have just had some luck......I just found the tag on the transmission.
It reads :
1.vertical barcode with numbers/letters running vertical with it... 614ATW W2Q73
2. Left to right numbers on top.... 026
3. Left to right numbers under....3A
4. Left to right numbers bottom...03
5. And then running vertically underneath the horizontal numbers is a bold AT

Anybody have an idea what year this thing is?
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadProfessor8138

351 posts
Member since May 2015
May have just had some luck......I just found the tag on the transmission.
It reads :
1.vertical barcode with numbers/letters running vertical with it... 614ATW W2Q73
2. Left to right numbers on top.... 026
3. Left to right numbers under....3A
4. Left to right numbers bottom...03
5. And then running vertically underneath the horizontal numbers is a bold AT

Anybody have an idea what year this thing is?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.gmtuners.com/pda/4T60E-ID.htm

1994 4T60-E ID Chart

4ATW 4.9L Cadillac K Body 3.06 37/33 2.73 31 1825

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 03-15-2016).]

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big thumbs up to you phonedawgz....thank you for sharing the info.
The 4ATW designates it a 94 tranny......cool.

I feel like such a newby asking this....a little help breaking down the rest of the numbers?
I'm starting to look on the net but I'm sure one of you guys can rattle it off before I can research it.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadProfessor8138

351 posts
Member since May 2015
I'm particularly interested in the gear ratio of this tranny.......
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MadProfessor8138

351 posts
Member since May 2015
Did I research this properly?........2.73 is the final output gear ratio?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes

This might help some - scroll down - BUT this is for the 4T65E, so remember than.

You have the 4T60E.

http://www.fastfieros.com/t...smission_general.htm

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 03-15-2016).]

gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
glad you are finding your info

The later transmissions had a variety of improvements over the early ones. Probably a good thing for you.
You could make that a 3.06 pretty easy with 35/35 gears if you decide to get into the trans, It was a noticeable improvement for me to go to 3.33 from 2.73. But yours is already in the car, so it might not be worth it to you unless you are pulling it for some reason anyways.

So does this conversation prove somehow that the tag on the engine is related to the vin? Neils88 got the numbers to partly match a vin, which lead to the correct trans, then confirmed by the trans tag. Just curious.

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well,after spending another hour climbing all over the engine with a shoplight and a mirror......no luck finding more numbers.
The only 2 places that the numbers could be on the block are on the backside which is covered by the transmission bellhousing or on the passenger side of the engine above the oil pan which is also blocked by the transmission.
I really don't want to pull the transmission just to find a number .....

gen2muchwork.....you mentioned the 4 letters on the ECM tag ...I'm almost 100 percent sure this thing has been burnt by Ed Parks in the past....the chip itself has been written on and says : "ED" and then underneath that it says " BWYH".
Does that mean anything to anyone?....is the BWYH a particular code for the year that it was burnt for?

I haven't had any luck finding more numbers but I would assume that this engine,tranny and ECM combination is a 94 since the tag information on the engine is supposedly part of the vehicle VIN to tell if the engine is original to that vehicle.

Olejoedad spent a few days with me at the end of last summer and he has my harness built the whole time....this is one of those cases where Joe knows the whole deal and I think he's letting me learn the hard way...a little tough love,if you will.
I'm trying to educate myself and get some things done before he comes back down to stay with me for a few more days.....I want one of us to turn the key and fire this thing up while he's here.
For anyone that has never met Joe in person I will say this......my life is better since I met him and I wish I knew more people like him....he's a great guy and I enjoy his company.

[This message has been edited by MadProfessor8138 (edited 03-16-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2016 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bwyh is for a 91 4.9, but I have no idea what Ed does to his chips.

If olejoedad is helping you out you are in good hands. Hopefully we cross paths this summer. He helped me out a lot over pm's when I was building mine.

only the year its wired for matters to the ecm, not the year of engine. Since you found the trans tag you should have all the info you need for programming, if you even need it. Since ed had it I expect it should work.

I would be careful wiring the round trans plug. I think it was 94-95 they changed a couple of pins on it vs 91-93. totally compatible, but wired slightly different.

[This message has been edited by gen2muchwork (edited 03-17-2016).]

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

http://www.gmtuners.com/pda/4T60E-ID.htm

1994 4T60-E ID Chart

4ATW 4.9L Cadillac K Body 3.06 37/33 2.73 31 1825

K body = deville

3.06 is ratio of the differential
37/33 is the ratio of the sprocket set
2.73 is the Overall Final Drive ratio when taking into ac**** the sprocket set's effect on the differential
31 is the number of teeth on the VSS gear
1825 is the stall rpm

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Stickpony.....yeah,I figured out that my combo was a 94 engine and 94 tranny,however,my ECM and chip are a 91-93.
I didn't know how you should program my chip because I wasn't sure how Joe had wired my harness...91-93 or 94-95...I was in the dark.
Hopefully,you and Olejoedad were able to figure out which way to go with the programming of the chip today after corresponding with each other.
I apologize to both of you if I've been a nuisance but I couldn't answer your questions without info from Olejoedad and he couldn't answer my questions without info from you....I was sorta stuck in the middle without any answers.....now that the two of you have spoke I think we are all up to speed and on the same page.
Speaking of page......I have all the required information that you need pertaining to your email except the exact tire size...I will have that information tomorrow and I will send all the specs back to you.
I want to thank everyone for their help and I'm looking forward to adding my car to the list of conversions that are on the road wracking up miles.
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadProfessor8138:

Thanks Stickpony.....yeah,I figured out that my combo was a 94 engine and 94 tranny,however,my ECM and chip are a 91-93.
I didn't know how you should program my chip because I wasn't sure how Joe had wired my harness...91-93 or 94-95...I was in the dark.
Hopefully,you and Olejoedad were able to figure out which way to go with the programming of the chip today after corresponding with each other.
I apologize to both of you if I've been a nuisance but I couldn't answer your questions without info from Olejoedad and he couldn't answer my questions without info from you....I was sorta stuck in the middle without any answers.....now that the two of you have spoke I think we are all up to speed and on the same page.
Speaking of page......I have all the required information that you need pertaining to your email except the exact tire size...I will have that information tomorrow and I will send all the specs back to you.
I want to thank everyone for their help and I'm looking forward to adding my car to the list of conversions that are on the road wracking up miles.

all good. Joe has all the info he needed about the pinouts change on the transmission plug, so you are good. it will all work out really well

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock