3800 Series 1 SC Throttle Body swap question by darbysan
Started on: 03-06-2016 11:22 AM
Replies: 4 (354 views)
Last post by: darbysan on 03-07-2016 11:24 AM
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, here's the problem. I'm installing a '95 Riviera L67, and the throttle cables run toward the trunk. This means my throttle cable is about 2 ft short. I've got a plan to extend the V6 throttle cable so it will reach, but it's not a great solution. I started thinking I could change out the throttle body for one that has the throttle cables running toward the driver's fenderwell.

My first stop was Rockauto.com, where I researched the Throttle Body Gasket for the Riv. Thought that might lead me to a throttle body that would at least fit the SC. Turns out the throttle body gasket was only used on 94 or 95 cars, which I guess makes some sense ( change in the SC, HP increase to 225). Turns out the TB on 94-95 Park Avenue, 94-95 Bonneville SSEI, 94-95 Olds 98 and 95 Olds 88 use the same gasket. Some of the pictures I've been able to see on the net ( EBAY!) indicate that this might work for me. but I thought I would ask the folks here with experience whether I should continue down this path, or just extend the cable...

I've got a Part Wanted ad in the Mall, just in case this might work.

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the photo. I hadn't tried routing the cable that tight to the engine. I tried it on mine, and I can get it to reach, but it will be a very tight bend radius at the bracket. It is also rubbing against the EGR pipe in the rear, as well as the exhaust heat shield ( guess I could heat sleeve it?) Your's seems to have a little more slack at the bracket, and I'm wondering if that is a 4 cyl cable. They are supposed to be a little longer than the 6 cyl models ( 102" vs 96"). Wonder if that extra 6" would make a big difference ( $50 bucks worth).

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2016 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not my engine or picture. I just googled it.

https://www.google.com/sear...uoMKHR5CBzUQ_AUIBygC

Yes I believe it is the 4 cylinder throttle cable.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 03-06-2016).]

darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2016 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all. Bit the bullet this morning and ordered a new cable. Best solution!

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock