"fast" power steering rack part number by imacflier
Started on: 02-14-2016 01:45 PM
Replies: 13 (486 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 02-16-2016 05:37 PM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2016 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The F-body rack is available from Cardone with 2.63 turns lock to lock.

On Rockauto here: http://www.rockauto.com/en/...RDONE&partnum=22-150

best price I have yet seen.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2016 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a good price!

My rack came from Rack Doctor.
BillS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2016 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No power steering rack will give the feel of a manual rack. This is not a positive conversion.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2016 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And no manual rack will give you the steering response that a power steering rack will, and be reasonable to drive. I'd gladly go power steering for the benefit of a super fast ratio.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I changed from manual to power steering in 2 of mine and am going to do the 3rd. Much nicer to drive.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Electric power steering is the best thing ever to happen to automobile driving. I have it on my new car. At parking lot speeds the boost is cranked up to where I can park with one finger. At highway speeds the road feel is exceptional. These arguments against power steering are Luddites discussions. The only reason Fieros never had power steering is because GM couldn't work out the bugs before the car was cancelled. Not because it was not needed. The heavy unresponsive steering on the Fiero was never appreciated by most driving enthusiasts.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

How do you know which years of Fiero it will fit?

The firebird rack doesn't actually "fit" any year Fieros. But you can buy/make tie rod adapters to make it fit any year Fiero.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the tie rod adapter necessary? The 84-87 Fiero outer tie rod ends will screw right onto the F-body Inner tie rod ends and the 88 Fiero and 93-99 F-body use the same outer tie rod end.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Are the tie rod adapter necessary? The 84-87 Fiero outer tie rod ends will screw right onto the F-body Inner tie rod ends and the 88 Fiero and 93-99 F-body use the same outer tie rod end.

The tie rod adapters allow the rack to be shifted to one side just a bit, and utilize the Fiero inners. I'm guessing that helps the pinion to line up with the column a bit better.
I am of the opinion that if the rack is centered, the adapters are not needed. (The Camaro rack is actually shorter than the 88 Fiero rack, based upon where the inner tie rods screw in.)
The entire rack, with inner tie rods, as about an inch too long, however. I'm thinking I'll just remove a half inch from each inner tie rod, and have at it.
One person (Fieroking?) has already installed a rack in a similar manner and seems to like it.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The tie rod adapters allow the rack to be shifted to one side just a bit, and utilize the Fiero inners. I'm guessing that helps the pinion to line up with the column a bit better.
I am of the opinion that if the rack is centered, the adapters are not needed. (The Camaro rack is actually shorter than the 88 Fiero rack, based upon where the inner tie rods screw in.)
The entire rack, with inner tie rods, as about an inch too long, however. I'm thinking I'll just remove a half inch from each inner tie rod, and have at it.
One person (Fieroking?) has already installed a rack in a similar manner and seems to like it.

Now, do you have a clever rack mount (pref for the '88 and no welding) worked out that you can share with us?
PFF
System Bot
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a fast ratio rack years ago from the fiero store built for the fiero. It was a white knuckle ride on the freeway at 75mph. I'll never do that again.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

The only reason Fieros never had power steering is because GM couldn't work out the bugs before the car was cancelled. Not because it was not needed. The heavy unresponsive steering on the Fiero was never appreciated by most driving enthusiasts.

Guess it's a matter of opinion. I owned an 84 SE and an 88 Formula and can say that power steering is not needed or wanted on the 88. Even in the 84 the only time I ever wanted it is when parking in close quarters.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:
Now, do you have a clever rack mount (pref for the '88 and no welding) worked out that you can share with us?

It looks like it can be done, but we haven't, yet.
When/if it happens, I will take pics.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock