TPI L98 intake tube? by grkboy707
Started on: 12-12-2015 06:10 PM
Replies: 9 (598 views)
Last post by: grkboy707 on 12-26-2015 02:11 PM
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finishing up my L98 swap and I'm not sure where to go with the intake tube. I need one with a 90 bend. Pulled one out of a Firebird with an LT1 and the MAF sensor side was too large. What has everyone done to fix this? LT1 also has a gaping hole for a huge baffle at the bottom
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't done one in a Fiero, so hopefully someone with specific experience will jump in. I did one for my El Camino, and used a 90 degree part from an '87 Firebird. You can see one here in this Ebay add. This one shows the 90 degree bend, and also the MAF ( between the 90 degree bend and the other piece of tubing). You may only need the 90 degree part if you can find that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...AOSw7FRWaIJX&vxp=mtr

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somebody (Holley, Edelbrock, etc.) used to make a sharp 90 deg cast aluminum induction elbow for the TPI. It was designed to replace the very horrible looking and very restrictive molded plastic box induction system used on the 3rd Gen Firebirds and Trans Ams. I do believe they have been discontinued. If you are unable to find one, check out the numerous turbo silicone hose companies. There is probably a 3 1/2 - 4" diameter silicone hose elbow you can buy and make work.

------------------
More is more. Less is not enough.

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Somebody (Holley, Edelbrock, etc.) used to make a sharp 90 deg cast aluminum induction elbow for the TPI. It was designed to replace the very horrible looking and very restrictive molded plastic box induction system used on the 3rd Gen Firebirds and Trans Ams. I do believe they have been discontinued. If you are unable to find one, check out the numerous turbo silicone hose companies. There is probably a 3 1/2 - 4" diameter silicone hose elbow you can buy and make work.

Wow, I didn't realize the market for these kind of super specific things would be so big! Went to Amazon and searched "4 inch 90 silicone reducer" and found a ton. Went with a 4" to 3.5" (actual diameter is 3.33", but I figure a little bigger should be fine) by Boesch(?) for $20. It's 4 ply so it outta do fine. I'll post back if it doesn't for future reference
kennn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a polished aluminum 90Ëš elbow that even has an internal cast in vane to direct air separately into each throttle of the dual throttle body. Nice piece. I decided to turn my intake around i80Ëš on top of the engine, so I no longer need this. It comes with rubber sleeves and clamps for mounting to the throttle body and to whatever you wish to extend it with at the other end. I bought it from Summit a few years back for $89 plus shipping. Let me know if you're interested. I don't know how to post pictures here (on a Mac). it's pretty, though and it's shiny. :-)

Ken

------------------
'88 GT TPI V8

[This message has been edited by kennn (edited 12-16-2015).]

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kennn:

I have a polished aluminum 90Ëš elbow that even has an internal cast in vane to direct air separately into each throttle of the dual throttle body.

That's the one I was thinking of. Who made it?
kennn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Granatelli, Trick Flow and someone else offered them. I believe only one had the curved internal dividing vane for handling the intake air around the corner. that's the one I have. I looked for an invoice, but didn't immediately locate it.

Ken

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeD

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2015 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeDSend a Private Message to HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know corvette central used to carry a whole line of intake parts/accessories for TPI builds.... may give their site a check.
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2015 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made a TPI intake tube a few years ago using 4" ID rubber tubing and 4" OD aluminum tube. I used a simple metal plate for the filter to go through, located behind the passenger quarter panel. It was a tight fit, but it worked great:

More details here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/000066-3.html#p88

I purchased all the rubber bends and aluminum tubing from JTR:

https://shell7.tdl.com/~jag...irClean_Ducting.html

I'm switching to a traditional carburetor layout and don't have a use for it anymore. If you (or anyone else) are interested in buying it, I still have it. I used the filter for another application, so it's the intake tubing only with plate.

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 12-18-2015).]

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2015 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay so the 3"-4" 90 degree silicone tube seems like it will work. The only problem I'm seeing is that the water neck hits it. I may need another water neck, possibly shorter or bent, but I don't even have my coolant system hooked up yet, so that's a problem for another day

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock