Oil Change by 85fieroguy
Started on: 12-04-2015 12:31 PM
Replies: 36 (2210 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 12-14-2015 09:12 AM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This may sound stupid but when you get a oil change, the plug is pulled, oil oil and sludge pours out, the plug is rescrewed in, new filter ( PF 52) is inserted and 5 qts. of oil added. What about the old oil inside the engine?? Should'n there be a " flush" through out the inside of the engine ???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A long time ago they recommended that you heat up the engine before you change the oil. More oil and dirt came out. With newer oils that last longer I think they gave up worrying about that last half of 1% that did not come out. If YOU are worried about it, just change oil more often.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-04-2015 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You drained it already. You're supposed to drain it when hot, so that more of the oil comes out, as cold oil will stick to things.

If you want to have a full flush, get a shop that has the equipment to pressurize the oil system to actually flush things out. Or, just put new oil in and do a short oil change next time, if you're worried there might be sludge still in the engine.
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, always willing to learn something. Want to keep the 85GT with 57K in shape. Always notice in the replys there is at least one....fill in the blank.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

Thanks guys, always willing to learn something. Want to keep the 85GT with 57K in shape. Always notice in the replys there is at least one....fill in the blank.

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jason88Notchie

1741 posts
Member since Oct 2009
In all seriousness though. Sludge that an oil flush does dislodge could clog the oil pump pickup screen, causing more problems than it solves. You shouldn't have much build up as long as you change your oil every 3-5K. I wouldn't bother with oil flushes. And godforbid. If you have an automatic DON'T fluid flush the transmission.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mentioned that you have an 85 GT and im assuming it is the same oil plug as my 86GT.

You'll notice it points towards the back of the car at an downward angle. You could always keep the drain plug out and lift the front of the car to make sure any extra oil drains out. Keeping the back of the car up while draining it, could keep more old oil in than you would want.

Other than that, you won't necessarily get all the oil out unless you have equipment that dealerships have.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 12-04-2015).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I "used to" drain it, then put in a couple of Quarts of cheap 10w oil, run it for a minute or 2 then dump it, and put on the new filter and oil. (If the oil was as sludgy as you said.)
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

You'll notice it points towards the back of the car at an downward angle. You could always keep the drain plug out and lift the front of the car to make sure any extra oil drains out. Keeping the back of the car up while draining it, could keep more old oil in than you would want.

Yep, the Fiero is kind of the opposite of most cars; on most cars you raise the front and the oil drains downhill from the pan. On the Fiero, you raise the rear but unfortunately now the oil has to drain uphill slightly. I raise mine to remove the plug and then I lower it to let it drain. Either way, though, I doubt there's more than about a cupful of old oil remaining if the car is left to drain uphill. I doubt it matters much.

Would have been kind of neat if they fabbed up a special "Fiero-only" oil pan where the drain is on the front side. But who knows, maybe that would expose the drain plug to more road hazards being in front. Or maybe clearance there is tight by the tranny pan. I can't remember.

mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you don't know the last oil change date/mileage and you suspect it's been too long. Warm it up drain it out, fill it and run it for 10 minutes and drain and fill again.
That should do it. Check for stuff in the first change grit, color, smell, etc.
You could even send a sample out for analysis.
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember to use a good quality oil filter.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 04-19-2016).]

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rislone makes an additive that reduces sludge, perhaps a half quart to a full quart is used at each normal oil change to break down existing sludge and prevent new sludge (jumbo shrimp, anyone?), from developing. Considering the quality of the rest of their product lineup, don't hesitate to try it. As long as you're faithful about changing the oil on time and adding zinc for bearing life, you should be able to rest comfortably. If you really want to go overkill, I'm sure seafoam and multiple quick filter changes will work. Personally, I just stick with Rislone and use a quality filter (I.e. NOT fram). Wix filters have a great reputation.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fill to ~4 qt, run engine then check level and add if needed.

Originally posted by viperine:
Rislone makes an additive that reduces sludge, perhaps a half quart to a full quart is used at each normal oil change to break down existing sludge and prevent new sludge (jumbo shrimp, anyone?), from developing. Considering the quality of the rest of their product lineup, don't hesitate to try it. As long as you're faithful about changing the oil on time and adding zinc for bearing life, you should be able to rest comfortably. If you really want to go overkill, I'm sure seafoam and multiple quick filter changes will work. Personally, I just stick with Rislone and use a quality filter (I.e. NOT fram). Wix filters have a great reputation.

All are BS saying reduce sludge etc.
Any oil made in last 20 year reduce sludge even eliminate the problem on good engines. current oils, SJ SL SM and SN, even more so. Use Synthetic oils even better.
SN? Yup. SN start in 2010 and is made to survive E85 fuel. See http://www.api.org/~/media/...IDE_ENGLISH_2013.pdf

And don't believe the myth pushed by Jiffy Lube and others saying 3000 mile or 3 month. Many cars are fine w/ 5000-7000 miles and more even in the '80s.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I let my oil drip overnight
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

LOL!

Apparently you know better than this guy...

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

2664 posts
Member since Oct 2015

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 04-19-2016).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Apparently you know better than this guy...

There are some detailed threads on PFF examining the construction of oil filters, which are probably the basis for the comment. The brand used on a rolling billboard that gets more maintenance than run time has little to do with the usual treatment a Fiero gets.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-05-2015).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

There are some detailed threads on PFF examining the construction of oil filters, which are probably the basis for the comment. The brand used on a rolling billboard that gets more maintenance than run time has little to do with the usual treatment a Fiero gets.

So, what you are saying is that someone is willing to risk a multi-million dollar championship race operation for a few thousand dollar sponsorship. Is that correct?

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 12-05-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no risk if you change your filter after every 1,320 feet.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-2-034259.html
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There is no risk if you change your filter after every 1,320 feet.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-2-034259.html

If it didn't matter then why wasn't he running a Motorcraft filter seeing that Ford was his sponsor? Or maybe an AC filter now that he is running a Chevy.

The Fram HP filter is what a lot lot race teams and racers use, sponsored or not, short or long distance.

If Fram was so bad they wouldn't be used at all, they wouldn't be in business and there would be all kinds of class action lawsuits pending.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That brings up a good question....why don't they eliminate the oil filter on dragsters? It would save weight and the oil is going to get changed anyway...
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2015 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That brings up a good question....why don't they eliminate the oil filter on dragsters? It would save weight and the oil is going to get changed anyway...

There's a reason the bearings get swapped after pretty much every run on top fuel engines. Saving a few ounces of weight isn't really going to get you much, when you're making that much power. Top fuel teams will even sometimes change complete engines between runs, and come to the track with several sitting in the trailer. The engines operate on the verge of hydrolocking after a short time into the run, and the spark plugs burn out with the engine firing from detonation.

https://youtu.be/-VF0JwxQqcA?t=120

Fram aren't necessarily the best filter for high performance street cars, but for 30 year old factory street engines and top fuel, they are more than fine. Just run the proper oil for the engine; not too heavy or too thin, and it should be fine with most any filter you can buy at O'Reilly's, NAPA, AutoZone, etc…
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

If it didn't matter then why wasn't he running a Motorcraft filter seeing that Ford was his sponsor? Or maybe an AC filter now that he is running a Chevy.

I mostly just want the John Force-branded signature tool carts....

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did anybody notice Ogre said about 4 (four) quarts, not five? I use the MobilOne 201 filter, which is about twice the size of the 52, but it still takes only about four quarts to fill to the line. Overfilling is not good, for reasons I don't exactly understand.

Forgive me, but I have yet to change the oil myself on either Fiero. Never get around to it, don't have a proper place, etc.

I ruined a Volvo engine flushing it with kerosene per something in the newspaper.

If I left the plug out overnight I'd surely forget some part of the procedure. Let the professionals mess it up.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:
Did anybody notice Ogre said about 4 (four) quarts, not five? I use the MobilOne 201 filter, which is about twice the size of the 52, but it still takes only about four quarts to fill to the line. Overfilling is not good, for reasons I don't exactly understand.
If I left the plug out overnight I'd surely forget some part of the procedure. Let the professionals mess it up.

Yup, Most are ~4q w/ short filter, ~4.5 max w/ long filters like ___3980 and older PF52. Current PF52 is short but longer then PF47. 84 before recall is ~3q. later owners manuals have wrong info and say 3q for 4cyl.
(___ because 2-3 letter change depending on the brand etc.)

Overfilling can cause oil foam and oil burning from crack etc whipping the oil in the pan. This is not good. Oil Burning can kill the cat very fast.

Leaving out the plug to drip for hours/days doesn't matter much and can cause OP priming problems.
A little dirty oil left in the engine doesn't matter after changing.

Changing oil w/ engine warm/hot makes quick draining but can make easy to burn you.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-06-2015).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2015 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW, in case you're not checking your email, TFS sale this Wednesday, December 9, 2015.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

In all seriousness though. Sludge that an oil flush does dislodge could clog the oil pump pickup screen, causing more problems than it solves. You shouldn't have much build up as long as you change your oil every 3-5K. I wouldn't bother with oil flushes. And godforbid. If you have an automatic DON'T fluid flush the transmission.

I go 100% with this. What I normally do if i suspect some sludge buildup, like in a recent used car purchase, I drain enough oil to make it 1 quart low, and add a quart of automatic transmission fluid to the crankcase and drive it normally for 50-100 miles. The solvents in the fluid will disolve a lot of it and it will come out with the oil change. It wont hurt anything to do so, just thins the oil slightly. If you already have something like a bad rear main seal, it may cause it to start leaking just by cleaning the gunk off of it though. I NEVER mess with an automatic trans. I might clean the filter screen, but I put the original fluid I saved draining it, back in. I only add enough new fluid to top it back off. Any that had many miles on it I had always failed completely soon after a new fill or flush.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2015 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I go 100% with this. What I normally do if i suspect some sludge buildup, like in a recent used car purchase, I drain enough oil to make it 1 quart low, and add a quart of automatic transmission fluid to the crankcase and drive it normally for 50-100 miles. The solvents in the fluid will disolve a lot of it and it will come out with the oil change. It wont hurt anything to do so, just thins the oil slightly. If you already have something like a bad rear main seal, it may cause it to start leaking just by cleaning the gunk off of it though. I NEVER mess with an automatic trans. I might clean the filter screen, but I put the original fluid I saved draining it, back in. I only add enough new fluid to top it back off. Any that had many miles on it I had always failed completely soon after a new fill or flush.

My dad always used a quart of mystery oil after draining out about half a quart and would run the car for a few min then drain it. Always worked for him and me anyway., and I am now 60 years old.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 12-11-2015).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2015 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If its excessivly dirty change it more often.
Or you could run a better oil, Rotella T6 is still not black on the dipstick when I drain it at about 5k miles or 1 year. Rotella T6 is cheap at Walmart.
Fill it to the full line on the dipstick.
Dont make a lot of short trips, (less than 20 minutes) without a good long run in between to get moisture out.
After draining mine I do pour maybe 1/2 quart of cheap new oil in the fill and let it run out, I figure if there is anything that wants to easily get out it will ride the river out .

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-11-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
yellow peril

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2015 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always ran my car to get it hot before an oil change and then a mechanic friend of mine said drain it cold. it's been sitting and that way you'll be sure to get all the oil out. once you run it the dirty oil is everywhere in there and you'll never get it all out. last couple time i did the car i did it cold. just takes a little longer to stop dripping.
mrstan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrstanSend a Private Message to mrstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I get a used car, I run some diesel oil in it for about 50-100 miles and change back to normal synthetic to clean out any gunk that might be stuffed in there. (When people sell their car, they typically do not put the best oil in the units)...
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5 qts puts it right on the line, with a long filter, You are filling the oil filter up first and checking it after it has ran? before it is ran it looks like 4.5 is enough.

The easy way to stop sludge is don't use penzoil or quaker state, and change it every 3,000 miles, don't be cheap and go longer.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:
The easy way to stop sludge is don't use penzoil or quaker state, and change it every 3,000 miles, don't be cheap and go longer.

I agree with the two brands you mentioned, but every 3,000 miles is a bit of over kill if you use a synthetic. Conventional oil, I agree with.

But synthetics most of the time are good for 5,000 miles. Mobil 1 high mileage will go to 7,500 miles and be just fine.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2015 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:
I agree with the two brands you mentioned, but every 3,000 miles is a bit of over kill if you use a synthetic. Conventional oil, I agree with.

But synthetics most of the time are good for 5,000 miles. Mobil 1 high mileage will go to 7,500 miles and be just fine.

It depends on the engine/driver. On a 30 year old stock engine in a Fiero, even with full synthetic Royal Purple, the best thing to do is keep checking it, and change it when it needs it. On a modern engine from within the last decade, a quality full synthetic can last a very long time with less checking. Modern engines also have an oil life sensor in the pan, which estimates metal content in the oil, and can be used to make better guesses about when to change the oil, than just looking at the dipstick. But still, the oil change should be done when the engine needs it, not when one's wallet can deal with the $50 expense.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellow peril:

I always ran my car to get it hot before an oil change and then a mechanic friend of mine said drain it cold. it's been sitting and that way you'll be sure to get all the oil out. once you run it the dirty oil is everywhere in there and you'll never get it all out. last couple time i did the car i did it cold. just takes a little longer to stop dripping.

http://www.cartalk.com/cont...n-engine-hot-or-cold

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-14-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock