LS4 engine/LS2 intake by busa_powered
Started on: 11-18-2015 08:10 PM
Replies: 10 (1287 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 07-16-2022 05:41 PM
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Fiero has a ls4 engine from an Impala SS, with a LS2 intake

Would the LS2 intake/engine cover fit this setup with an ls4 engine.

Like something like this

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-...manifold-cover-7.jpg

I'm assuming I cant use the stock cover that came with the ls4

Or is there something unique about the LS4 engine where it wouldn't fit properly

Just looking to dress up engine, give it a cleaner look

[This message has been edited by busa_powered (edited 11-18-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2015 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The LS2 and LS4 have the same heads stock, so yes, it will fit.

I am using the LS2 intake on my swap, and fieroguru also use the LS2 intake on his swap. If you are keeping the DOD feature, you'll also need to modify the the intake and possibly the electrical connector for the DOD solenoid, to clear. You'lll also need to modify the OPSU mounting boss on the valley cover, to clear the intake, regardless of whether you retain DOD or switch to a standard LS2 valley cover which doesn't have DOD.

See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/000123.html#p12 for how fieroguru modified the DOD solenoid connector, and OPSU boss (he moved the OPSU to the rear side of the block, versus being in the valley cover).

The LS6 manifold is a slightly easier fit, and you can retain the stock LS4 throttle body without an adapter, with it. They can be a bit more expensive though.

The plastic beauty cover for the LS4 won't fit on top of other intakes, as the LS4 intake is unique in its design, and the way the plastic cover mounts to it.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 11-18-2015).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the mounting studs on the intake to see if they have the same spacing on each side (I think they do). Most flip the valve covers so the oil fill is to the rear, so you will need to flip the beauty covers from side to side as well. When you flip them, I think you will likely need to trim them around the strut tower and the passenger decklid hinge box and they might not fit the curvature of the runners on the opposite side. Using the covers also requires the LS2 fuel rail and flipping it to (no issues doing this).

For some reason, I don't see the need for covers on my LS4 w/LS2 Intake & LS4 fuel rail:

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the car I picking up on Monday

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/093039.html

I have to clean the engine real well, then I want to put a LS2 intake cover on it.

I know this car has the DOD system removed

Can anyone tell what needs to be modified other than the opus?

The pic of the engine is further down the thread

Great looking engine there fieroguru!

Great looking engine there
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2015 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:

This is the car I picking up on Monday

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/093039.html

I have to clean the engine real well, then I want to put a LS2 intake cover on it.

I know this car has the DOD system removed

Can anyone tell what needs to be modified other than the opus?

The pic of the engine is further down the thread

Great looking engine there fieroguru!

Great looking engine there

Sorry, I thought you were asking about installing an LS2 intake onto an LS4 as well, as part of a build. If the build is already done, and already has an LS2 intake, you don't need to modify the OPSU at all.

The LS2 Corvette coil covers will fit, but may need some trimming around the passenger strut tower and decklid hinge.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2015 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspected that you were getting that car. At that price, it wasn't going to last long.

In addition to all the items to check/trim for clearance, it also looks like it has the LS1/LS6 fuel rail with the fuel regulator looking thing on it and the covers on the LS1/LS6 engines have a hole over this so it remains visible. So hopefully the LS2 cover will fit over the top of it. Here is an LS1/LS6 fuel rail:

Here is an LS2 fuel rail for comparison:

Something else I forgot to mention, there is interference with the stock coil mounting on cyl 1 and the passenger decklid hinge box. Depending on how they addressed this interference, there might be another tweak needed for the covers.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-19-2015).]

W41duvernay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for W41duvernaySend a Private Message to W41duvernayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am having trouble figuring out what ls4 that I should be looking for? I do know I will swap the camshaft, but Holley wants me to "convert" the ls4 to ls2 specs to used their fuel injection units controls.
Any help here guys?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure it doesn't matter which LS4 you get (05-06 24x or 07-09 58x) as the holley system works with both.

The issue is likely the timing cover and Camshaft sensor location as it is different on the LS4 than all other LS based engines. Most guys running aftermarket controllers or GM calibrations from a RWD application swap to the LS2 timing cover.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
heres my LS3 in an 88 car.

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 07-12-2022).]

W41duvernay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2022 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for W41duvernaySend a Private Message to W41duvernayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero guru,
Any idea where that sensor would be located on an ls2 engine? Does the ls2 engine use a cable style opporated throttle body vs the ls4 electronic one? Thnks for the help.
As far for the cam, I'm looking at using Rhoads lifters on top of a Comp Cams # 54-426-11, a 222 @ .050s duration, for a 3 bolt gen 3/4. the variable duration lifters will be to help keep the mpg up on the lower end.

[This message has been edited by W41duvernay (edited 07-15-2022).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2022 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by W41duvernay:
Fiero guru,
Any idea where that sensor would be located on an ls2 engine? Does the ls2 engine use a cable style opporated throttle body vs the ls4 electronic one? Thnks for the help.
As far for the cam, I'm looking at using Rhoads lifters on top of a Comp Cams # 54-426-11, a 222 @ .050s duration, for a 3 bolt gen 3/4. the variable duration lifters will be to help keep the mpg up on the lower end.

You need to swap the timing covers. The one on the left is the LS2, the one on the right is LS4.

The LS2 uses DBW not DBC, same as the LS4. The early LS4s used an 8 wire throttle body, the later ones (08-09) used a 6 wire and the LS2s all use the 6 wire. The extra wires on the LS4 are just a redundant 5V power and ground. It is easy to setup the LS4 to run the LS2 throttle body and the Holley should be able to control the LS4 throttle body.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock