Isolation Relay Repair - Faulty Diode by DaveM
Started on: 11-16-2015 10:55 PM
Replies: 5 (847 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-18-2015 01:07 AM
DaveM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2015 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaveMSend a Private Message to DaveMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my 86, I was experiencing the issue of my headlights only raising when I held the headlight switch in the halfway point. If I pressed the switch fully, the lights would turn on, but the headlights would only raise for a split second. Replaced the headlight switch as it seemed loose and worn out, but the new one did the same thing. Googling told me to blame the isolation relay, but it seems they're hard to find new ones of now. I wanted to retain the factory look, and avoid cutting and splicing my harness.

So I took apart the one I had. Disassembling is easy, there are just a few tabs on the relay by the pins, if you bend the relay case outwards, the pins and relay can be yanked out, leaving the empty case.

It still clicked fine, so I knew the coil worked. Digging through the schematics and testing the diode with a multimeter told me the diode was bad.

Soldering in a new one took a few moments. You'll need a gun-type soldering iron to make a good connection; the relay frame really sucks the heat. It's the diode in the schematic above, which supplies current to the actuator relay coils. Ensure the orientation of the diode is the same as shown on the relay here. If you install the diode with the stripe on the wrong side, it will not allow current to pass, and your lights will still not raise.

Any garden-variety diode should work, I believe I used the 1N4001. There are probably better choices, but the current and voltage here are very low, so it doesn't much matter. Anything from the 1N400x series is cheap and readily available.
So when you switch your headlights on, if your isolation relay clicks but the actuator relays don't or briefly click on then off, this might be the repair for you. If the contacts are very rusty, or the actuator relay doesn't click when you switch on your headlights, this may not be the fix for you. The contacts on mine looked like so.
As well, this fix doesn't apply to the newer headlight motor circuit, as there's no isolation relay to fail.

[This message has been edited by DaveM (edited 11-17-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2015 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum and what a terrific first post! What year is your car?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2015 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job and very creative repair. The only thing that I would impress upon people trying this repair is to make sure that the cathode stripe on the diode is put on the correct solder terminal and to hold the diode leads with a miniature needle nose pliers to prevent excessive heat from traveling up the lead and killing the diode (or you can use a mini clamp on heat sink).
If the repair works that's great if not , a standard automotive 10A DPDT 12 VDC relay can be wired in to work . You can buy them on eBay for about $5.00 but it won't use the Fiero connector.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2015 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DaveM:
Any garden-variety high-current diode should work, I believe I used the 1N4001.
High Current? 1N400x are only 1a.
x = 1 to 7 and change reverse DC Volts... 1 = 50v, 7 = 1000v
Here doesn't matter what 400x is used.

http://www.diodes.com/_file...tasheets/ds28002.pdf

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

DaveM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2015 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaveMSend a Private Message to DaveMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the positive responses guys, edited my post to reflect your comments. My car is an 86, this fix obviously doesn't apply to the newer electronically-controlled system (87-88). Ogre, I suppose high current means different things in different contexts, I learned electronics from guitar pedals, where 1A is a monster amount of current. As far as automotive wiring goes, 1A is pretty minimal indeed.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DaveM:
Thanks for the positive responses guys, edited my post to reflect your comments. My car is an 86, this fix obviously doesn't apply to the newer electronically-controlled system (87-88). Ogre, I suppose high current means different things in different contexts, I learned electronics from guitar pedals, where 1A is a monster amount of current. As far as automotive wiring goes, 1A is pretty minimal indeed.
Diodes aren't not all the same. Relays and Many other things mostly use "Rectifiers." Most Relay use them as surge suppression. If you hook the coils wrong way you blow the diode and coil likely works but w/o surge protection. (Protect ECM etc from power surge when coil is De-egerize.)
Guitar pedals use Rectifiers and likely other types, like Switching or Zener diodes, depend where in the circuit they are.

I used "simple" Rectifiers, SCR, etc, that handles 20 - 30 amp in stud cases mounted to a big heat sink. Now they make diodes handle 2100 A like http://www.vishay.com/diodes/list/product-93539/ For fun Read the app note how to mount them.
More see www.vishay.com/diodes/med-high-diodes/

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock