What to do after a exhaust manifold install by 85fieroguy
Started on: 11-07-2015 06:08 PM
Replies: 5 (172 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 11-07-2015 08:50 PM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2015 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was a little messy with broken bolts, but finished the job. and put on 50 miles. Should I now go back and torque the bolts again????...also, should this be done on a " cold " engine vs one that has been run but not hot.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2015 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you replace with bolts or studs ? stainless? use "locktight" ?
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2015 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
new bolts and gaskets, trunk side ( not rear window side). No loctite
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2015 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

trunk side ( not rear window side)

Wimp.

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2015 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used studs and nuts on mine and did not re-torque. That's been several years ago and was an experience I'll never forget. I also used the VW manifold gaskets.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

new bolts and gaskets, trunk side ( not rear window side). No loctite

You should always use studs instead of bolts on the exhaust manifolds. Fasteners on the exhaust are susceptible to seizing due to the high temperature swings. Studs give you two options for removal. It's much easier to get to the threads under the nut with something like PB Blaster if required.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock