Started on: 11-01-2015 12:56 PM
Replies: 42 (2803 views)
Last post by: TopNotch on 06-10-2016 11:02 PM
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe the ogre needs a beer.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sent him a pm this morning. Looks like comcast is forwarding traffic to xfinity.com & breaking the traffic.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Ogre's Fiero Cave is dead and not coming back as home.comcast.net/%7Efierocave/ because Comcast killed all Personal Web Pages (PWP).

It does redirect to my.xifinity.com/~fierocave/ but is dead too. Depending on Browser used Final redirect goes to Go Daddy.

my.xfinity.com/~fierocave/ (correct spelling) goes to Comcast... Sorry, we couldn’t find that page.

I was hoping would last until 11/30/15 but was dead as of 10/30/15.

I'm not sure if or when I'll get a new host. Not spending money for this and don't like/trust most "free" hosts.

Some/many pages are at http://web.archive.org/web/...erocave/ofcindex.htm and http://web.archive.org/web/...t/~fierocave/map.htm

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-01-2015).]

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sad to hear this. There was a lot of great info in there.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
I'm not sure if or when I'll get a new host. Not spending money for this and don't like/trust most "free" hosts.

Some/many pages are at http://web.archive.org/web/...erocave/ofcindex.htm

If you are no longer going to continue with the site, would you mind if I grabbed the context from the wayback machine archives & hosted a copy?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I add the map link and seem to have most pages. Menu even works.

I'll edit shorturl setting to point to there for now.
This means some links at PFF should work.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32237 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by no2pencil:
If you are no longer going to continue with the site, would you mind if I grabbed the context from the wayback machine archives & hosted a copy?

Yes I mind. Do not do this.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would never without permission. I had reached out this morning & didn't hear back. Best of luck with which ever direction you decide to go. Thank you for the content, it's helped me over the years.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I add the map link and seem to have most pages. Menu even works.

I'll edit shorturl setting to point to there for now.
This means some links at PFF should work.

Shorturl is now pointing to archive site for now but may take time to load thru DNS etc because cache timeout.
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am glad that the Cave is still available.

Thanks for all the time you have devoted to it, it has been a great help to me many times.

Larry
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:
Would never without permission. I had reached out this morning & didn't hear back. Best of luck with which ever direction you decide to go. Thank you for the content, it's helped me over the years.

I just didn't read PM's or email today.
PFF
System Bot
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2015 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by fieromatty (edited 11-01-2015).]

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you ever need help with hosting or anything Ogre just sing out, I'm sure between myself and the litany of other IT guys on the forum we can sort something out. The Cave has helped plenty, many times over.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still get nothing from the PFF links, but the link below is working for me (Firefox).

The Ogre's Fiero Cave
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
I still get nothing from the PFF links, but the link below is working for me (Firefox).
The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Because most are Comcast links and dead.

http://fierocave.shorturl.com/ link above currently point to archive "mirror" site.
Is not a compete copy of dead Comcast site so some pages have problems.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2015 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for all that you have provided over the years, and thank you ahead of time for all the advice that you still deliver. An absolutely humongous service provided to these little econo wedges.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any way to put the CAVE's contents on Facebook, or other reputable, but Free site?

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

Is there any way to put the CAVE's contents on Facebook, or other reputable, but Free site?

Maybe take the various articles and make them FAQ posts on here?
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps Cliff could host it?
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A question for Cliff: Can Ogre's Cave be included in the forum structure itself?
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Ogre's Fiero Cave link seems to work fine
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

Absolutely No.

Facebook and other "social media" are no use to me. FB reputation? Barf. Unlike most, I've read Foolbook ToS/EULA etc. Those Doc's makes NSA look nice and a Great way to give Thieves free ammo. Many users do not understand how to use what little privacy tools they have and worse, FB keeps moving/changing privacy settings. Even Worse many profiles are setup by kids etc for X person and never used privacy tools. What to Sue? Nope. FB like others force you to go to Arbitration.

Google and other search services are "block" using Robots.txt and Meta data in each page.
This is why you don't find much using Google. I have no interest giving them even 1 penny for my work.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32237 posts
Member since Mar 99
Very Short History of The Ogre's Fiero Cave

The only reason I started the Cave was because Cliff thought that any "FAQ" was "dumb..." Big problem was and still is Very few to no-one was and are going to keep answering questions with any real details. Only Years later did Cliff create "FAQs & HowTos" section so Nubes didn't have to use Search. (Never mind most people won't bother even trying to search.)

Cliff had first version of my cave at PFF but quickly got problems w/ that setup.
Is been on several "PWP" services since... Sprynet Eathlink then Comcast.

One of my first cave pages was DIS problems and only a few pages. I used the old Java menu because adding pages was Very easy. The site was design so is process by local browser because back-end services didn't exist at first then had some but were often worthless or can change or disappear.

Cave grew quick first few years... Because the site became my copy/paste answers to most Q on PFF. Post some data for problem at hand and related cave page(s) for more info. Very helpful when I had my Stroke. Side Benefit people can use the Cave 24/7/365. Why did you do that? PFF and other forums basically are like calling a Help Desk for a Computer at work... How many times can you can reset a password etc for a end user w/o going insane? This is Why most IT Help Desks have very high turnover of employees. Many quickly hate the job and quite. I've seen many people go to lunch or even a smoke break and never return. I was on "2nd level" support and still get "please install my printer" 5-10 or more times per week.

To make the problem Worse, Aftermarket "Service" books have missing or wrong data.
Examples:
A very old FAQ is FOSG but most of that don't cover much detail or even have pictures. (I've seen this FAQ around ~20 years ago.)
Haynes and Chilton's books have many problems, like Hanyes Fiero book Ignores DIS and 700 TBI on 87-88 L4. Haynes allows Used axle nuts but GM, and many others, Factory SM Never allowed this so where does Haynes get torque # for used nuts?

A few years ago I dumped Java menu mainly because Java is a nightmare just for security alone. Java degraded so much so now is no better security then ActiveX from MS and ActiveX was a nightmare right from the start.

New menu is a pain and added ~8Kb size to each page but TextCrawler and beKEY macros did help allot. Most pages passed HTML5 validation w/ minor errors.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-02-2015).]

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very sad the host is no more... At least it's still available to view.. for now...

Ogre, if you do not find a host for the cave would you think about offering the ability to purchase a copy of it on a disc? There is very valuable information on there and I know I would be more than willing to purchase a copy of The Cave if it were on a disc or whatever for future reference.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:
Very sad the host is no more... At least it's still available to view.. for now...

Ogre, if you do not find a host for the cave would you think about offering the ability to purchase a copy of it on a disc? There is very valuable information on there and I know I would be more than willing to purchase a copy of The Cave if it were on a disc or whatever for future reference.
Archive mirror should not dry up... About the Internet Archive

Disk copies are easy...
Because the site is "Client Side" only processing. Most/all current browsers will work to access the files.

most likely won't make much or any money... The disk will likely show up quickly on Pirate Bay etc.
Same for Kindle et al... Most Digital books are on PB.

I don't care if people save copies for their own use. I even gave permission to quote pages on some sites.

What I don't want things like myfiero.oceanmoon.com is a complete ripoff of my and others pages. He/she even Removed my copyright notice AFTER I b__h but did not remove the pages. That is why all pictures now have the "water mark."
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ogre, I may be misremembering. But didn't you have the Cave a few years before PFF? I pretty sure I remember you being one of the few places I could find information on the Fiero in the mid to late 90's.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:
Ogre, I may be misremembering. But didn't you have the Cave a few years before PFF? I pretty sure I remember you being one of the few places I could find information on the Fiero in the mid to late 90's.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave is after PFF.
If you mean The Ogre's Cave, home.comcast.net/~the_ogre/, then yes. It was one of escape link on old menu. I did have some IT data etc but removed all of that years ago.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-03-2015).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-05-2015 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not put the cave on a dvd/ or cd so those that would like to have the info can, and you get something back for all the work you've done..
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2015 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've change where/when shorturl links points to at web.archive.org. I guess Comcast got call by or made a call to archive.org before killed the servers.
Now should get 10/15 archive for most/all pages.

NOTE: Cliff still hasn't fix PFF links at top and bottom of pages and are dead.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2015 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Thank you for all that you have provided over the years, and thank you ahead of time for all the advice that you still deliver. An absolutely humongous service provided to these little econo wedges.

X2
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My little beast would not be running if it was not for ALL the help and time you took with me! Your site has helped so much countless times. You are a true asset to the Fiero community! I could not have done it without you! Thank you for everything!

------------------
Please forgive my typos, I'm typically posting via cell.

1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770
"SE" Stormtrooper Edition
Rescued, resuscitated and reversibly modified! (I'm so not done yet!)

Poly all round & Black Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45 on 18x8 (47 offset w/ 8-9mm spacer) 1.5 coils cut off 1984 WS6 springs
Rear: 265/35 on 18x8.5 (45 offset) Coil-overs w/ 10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

Everything is the previous owners fault!

PFF
System Bot
Jims88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank You Theorge, I appreciate all the information that you have shared, its been a great help to me
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2015 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a while since I have been in the cave I didn't even know about this.
Is there a CD of the original all inclusive cave available to buy? Just in case you don't find a way to keep it here.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

ryfel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2015 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryfelSend a Private Message to ryfelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would also be willing to buy a disc, and no problem signing(clicking agree) an EULA or whatever you need done, my poor Fiero needs the Cave!
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2015 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

a while since I have been in the cave I didn't even know about this.
Is there a CD of the original all inclusive cave available to buy? Just in case you don't find a way to keep it here.

Steve

Originally posted by ryfel:

I would also be willing to buy a disc, and no problem signing(clicking agree) an EULA or whatever you need done, my poor Fiero needs the Cave!

Read above, he won't do that, and the archive.org is not going away, they have been here since the dawn of the internet and their plan is to archive it all.
BTW if you have any dead links go there they might have it.

Just use the link below

http://fierocave.shorturl.com/ link above currently point to archive "mirror" site.
Is not a compete copy of dead Comcast site so some pages have problems.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 12-19-2015).]

mrstan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrstanSend a Private Message to mrstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used the data from the cave uncountable times for repairs and alterations that I have worked on. If you need me to, I can send you some money in paypal or something.. That seems right to me... Not the CD or anything.. I recognize resource value when I see it.. I have used the information and am happy to help out if it is needed. Sad to see Ogre go, but I support what he wants. Lots of resources going away it seems with Ogre, and the V8 guy going out.. Who is next I wonder?

Maybe we can setup an "Ogre fund"....
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2016 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Diddo to what "mrstan" (and others) posted above. I'm in for helping $$ to get Ogre's page up and running again. Any other PFF members want to get together and make this happen?

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now it appears that the Cave is gone again. The Short URL link does not work for me.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
Now it appears that the Cave is gone again. The Short URL link does not work for me.
Works fine for me.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Works fine for me.

OK.....it's working for me again...I wonder what that was all about?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-23-2016).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock