Looking for Help and Space to do a Restoration by jmclemore
Started on: 09-23-2015 12:59 AM
Replies: 5 (151 views)
Last post by: Napoleon_Tanerite on 09-24-2015 11:11 PM
jmclemore

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmclemoreSend a Private Message to jmclemoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After having this car for years and several failure to launch restore attempts,
It's now or never. I have to move the car off property and need access to work
on it.

My father-in-law will be doing the body work.
I will have to do nearly everything to this car.

The interior rotted, torn or cracked.
The suspension, steering and brakes all must be rebuilt or replaced.
Engine and Transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
Fuel tank need to be cleaned, pump and hoses need replaced.
Tail light housing (crushed) must be replaced.

There are numerous other items on the list.

Not knowing anyone outside of PFF makes it hard to ask,
but do any of you have interest in helping me out. I appreciate
any help I can get. I am going to be buying a lot of parts and
obviously paying for work I can not do myself. Space is a big
issue. I just can't do much from my drive way.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please excuse my ignorance... but are you sure you want to do this?

From the sounds of it, the car may be a basketcase. Though some people are suckers for punishment and enjoy bringing cars back to life that are utterly trashed, this is usually only worth it if the car is ultra rare and has value. Gull wing Mercedes. Shelby Cobra. Grand National GNX. 89 Turbo Trans Am....Datsun 240 Z. Something rare and unique, that will have some value once finished.

There are still hundreds upon hundreds of Fieros for sale in North America in drievable condition, and if you get one from the south, it should be reasonably rust free. It is your choice, your time, and your money, but judging by what you have listed in your post, it may sound like you are pissing in the wind, especially if you need help from others to complete this task.

My car is mint, I have money, and I still can't find anyone to help me work on my car and make it perfect. Other guys are pretty busy with their own project cars, and the majority of mechanics don't want to touch a 25-30 year old car unless there is big $$ in it for them. It's just how it is with these cars...
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless you have a sentimental attachment to the car, get something else that doesn't need as much work. Probably cheaper and for sure a faster way to a drivable car.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How is the spaceframe? This would be the critical part for me. If it was completely rust free (which is rare) then I could see the rebuild being worth it....IF you were upgrading everything. If you are planning on keeping everything stock, then I agree with others that you'd save a ton of money starting with something in much better condition.
jmclemore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmclemoreSend a Private Message to jmclemoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not done a thorough inspection of the frame.
And because the cost will be greater than the value,
I'm seriously thinking of doing a hybrid conversion.

I would keep the engine and update the
charging system for the extra batteries.

I plan on keeping it as a daily driver but take it out on
weekend to play....
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a running and driving car that was rust free and in decent shape mechanically and I'm STILL into it more than I paid for it (and probably will be into it more than the car will ever be worth by the time I'm done). The Fiero is a great project car, but if you don't have the space and time to do the work, it's still just a Fiero-- it will likely never be a retirement investment or anything other than a personal toy (an likely money pit). Choose your projects wisely.

Even for the hybrid conversion, you may be better served finding a car in better starting shape, that way you can focus your budget on the necessary components to do the actual conversion, instead of burning through your budget just to revive a car that should have been a parts car to begin with.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock