EGR function on stock V-6 by 85fieroguy
Started on: 09-20-2015 12:35 PM
Replies: 21 (480 views)
Last post by: Ray_and_kevin on 11-24-2015 04:42 PM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2015 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question ????...is the EGR ( Exhaust gas recirculation) valve hooked up to the stock V-6 necessary ???...I've been told that some people block it out. Your input please. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2015 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

Question ????...is the EGR ( Exhaust gas recirculation) valve hooked up to the stock V-6 necessary ???

What's your definition of "necessary"?

EGR valves were installed for a reason. The reason hasn't changed or vanished. We still need to breathe clean air.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-20-2015).]

85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"....for a reason :..like what ???? need more professional insight.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2015 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The EGR system when functioning properly can improve fuel economy and reduce emissions.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2015 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

"....for a reason :..like what ???? need more professional insight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...st_gas_recirculation
90turbo1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 90turbo1Send a Private Message to 90turbo1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would not say the egr will increase gas mileage. but a proper system that is operating properly will reduce emissions. It is designed to only work at cruise and steady throttle operation. if it stays open you will get idle surge or engine dying at idle. stumbling when acceleration. all sorts of things that resemble a vacuum leak.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2015 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 90turbo1:

i would not say the egr will increase gas mileage. but a proper system that is operating properly will reduce emissions. It is designed to only work at cruise and steady throttle operation. if it stays open you will get idle surge or engine dying at idle. stumbling when acceleration. all sorts of things that resemble a vacuum leak.

A proper functioning system will improve efficiency of the engine. The MPG change as a result may not be entirely noticeable to most people though. Since it would be recirculating part of the spent exhaust mass at cruise, it would indeed have a small effect on MPG.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ECM software works with the EGR system to reduce unburned hydrocarbons at highway speeds by adding exhaust gas to the intake manifold. The computer is programmed to take that into account when firing the injectors. If you remove the EGR hardware, your mileage will be worse. If you remove the EGR system and re-program the ECM, your mileage may be the same as a well-maintained stock engine. Because there is no clear advantage to removing the EGR system, and there could be added expense and more air pollution, most automotive pros recommend that you keep it.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another small benefit for using EGR is a lower operating temperature. Here in Vegas we look for everything we can get for lower temps!

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) T460e.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EGR will help your economy, albeit slightly.
During EGR operation, the fueling is a bit leaner, and the spark is advanced a bit. This is made possible due to the introduction of the recirculated exhaust gas, which is inert. The inert gas helps to cool the whole burn cycle. (Which is actually what reduces emissions.) EGR does NOT make it run lean, by itself, as some people state. The "lean-ness" is programmed in.
That's why a disabled EGR, with no programming changes made to accommodate it, can damage the engine. Not guaranteed in every case, but quite possible. If it's disabled, and your engine pings, you are causing damage.
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think there is really only one downside to having an egr and that is the inside of your intake will get coated black from the exhaust gases. Other than that it is a positive in every other way
PFF
System Bot
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2015 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to do away with the egr you have to get the prom reflashed if that can be done. Did it to my tuned port injection using a 92 ecu that was the 730. So If The FIero Ecu IS PROGRAMMABLE Then yes.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2015 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Silvertown

440 posts
Member since Sep 2015

Originally posted by Gall757:

The ECM software works with the EGR system to reduce unburned hydrocarbons at highway speeds by adding exhaust gas to the intake manifold. The computer is programmed to take that into account when firing the injectors. If you remove the EGR hardware, your mileage will be worse. If you remove the EGR system and re-program the ECM, your mileage may be the same as a well-maintained stock engine. Because there is no clear advantage to removing the EGR system, and there could be added expense and more air pollution, most automotive pros recommend that you keep it.

The only benefit I see is that you won't have to spend $200 dollars to replace the egr and egr solenoid down the road but you have the expense of reflashing the prom.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2015 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riddick85:

I think there is really only one downside to having an egr and that is the inside of your intake will get coated black from the exhaust gases. Other than that it is a positive in every other way

Then your EGR system is faulty, or you are running too rich for some reason.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silvertown:

If you want to do away with the egr you have to get the prom reflashed if that can be done. Did it to my tuned port injection using a 92 ecu that was the 730. So If The FIero Ecu IS PROGRAMMABLE Then yes.

The Fiero ECM is reprogrammable.
Actually, the programming is done to a removable PROM chip.
Similar to the 7730, except the chips are 2732s. They require a UV eraser.
They also come in a simple black plastic carrier, instead of the blue MEMCAL package.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2015 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The Fiero ECM is reprogrammable.
Actually, the programming is done to a removable PROM chip.
Similar to the 7730, except the chips are 2732s. They require a UV eraser.
They also come in a simple black plastic carrier, instead of the blue MEMCAL package.

Yeah I couldn't find the correct v8 ecu so I got the v6 ecu and purchased the reflashed prom.
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Over the years I have tried removing, bypassing, etc EGR systems on my Fiero's to see what the change would do.
In short, unless the car is strictly for racing, a well maintained EGR system is the way to go! You will be happier with the drivability, MPG's, smell, etc. and you will be legal.
Too many people blame problems on the EGR system that are actually other problems.

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The main purpose of the EGR system is to reduce NOx emissions during part-throttle cruising. NOx emissions are one of the main ingredients in acid rain, so it's nothing to scoff at.

That said, the Fiero V6 EGR system is pretty kludgey, IMO. It uses a vacuum switch connected to ported vacuum (only gets vacuum at part throttle), to signal the ECM when the engine is at part throttle. The ECM uses that signal, plus other engine operating parameters, to decide if it should activate the vacuum solenoid. If it does, then the solenoid sends manifold vacuum to the EGR valve to activate it. And finally, the EGR valve sends some exhaust gas back into the intake plenum.

Yeah, the EGR solenoid is expensive. But the alternatives are:

1) Pollute the air with stuff that causes acid rain
2) Rig up a custom EGR setup

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 09-23-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2015 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:
Yeah, the EGR solenoid is expensive. But the alternatives are:

1) Pollute the air with stuff that causes acid rain
2) Rig up a custom EGR setup

3) Convert to digital EGR and 7730 ECM: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000088.html
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would consider an ECM and EGR swap as #2.

But don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to trash the 7730 ECM swap. I'd actually suggest that (plus the digital EGR) to replace the antiquated Fiero electronics.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2015 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As radar said the exhaust gas is inert, thus doesn't burn, so the exhaust gasses displace some of the room in the combustion chamber, thus require less gas, that is how the EGR works
PFF
System Bot
Ray_and_kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like this is part of the explanation for some of the pinging I hear on the 3.4 engine swap. The previous owner did an EGR delete but also claims to have done a ROM upgrade. I am tempted to reinstall the EGR when I get time. I just hope the parts will fit. I did the replace on Kevin's stock 2.8 when it was leaking and the car was driving like new until the accident.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock