How to clean up and buff the intake letters by Randy F
Started on: 09-11-2015 06:18 PM
Replies: 16 (670 views)
Last post by: 1Packrat on 09-14-2015 01:43 PM
Randy F

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Randy FSend a Private Message to Randy FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any one know a way to buff and clean up the intake letters and bars on the 2.8 intake to make look like new ????
Thanks,
Randy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2015 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you mean on the 87-88 intake, I think you'd need to use a dremel tool to sand/polish inside the engraving. If you mean the 85-86 intake, you'd need to sand/polish the top flat section, and apply a new decal.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just sanded my down and it looked like new. Thought about clear-coating after the fact. I'll post a pic if one is handy.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Randy F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Randy FSend a Private Message to Randy FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry just checked and yes it is a decal I was thinking of the ribs

[This message has been edited by Randy F (edited 09-11-2015).]

Randy F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Randy FSend a Private Message to Randy FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Randy F

70 posts
Member since May 2015
Is the 87 different from the 86 I was going to buy one here in the forum and its off an 87 and mine is an 86 was only going to but the upper intake????????
Thanks,
Randy
Randy F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Randy FSend a Private Message to Randy FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Randy F

70 posts
Member since May 2015
Can these be Vatted and cleaned and then be repainted ????????
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Randy F:

Can these be Vatted and cleaned and then be repainted ????????

Sure can. I have the engraved type and I striped it down with "Aircraft Paint Remover". The powder coat just wrinkled and I hosed it off down to the aluminum. Repainted it traditional Pontiac blue and painted the engraved area in red.

I gotta find a pic to post.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 09-11-2015).]

bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done both of mine, both are 88's with the engraved Fiero. 87 and 88 intakes both were engraved. 85 and 86 had the sticker. Using aircraft stripper is the best way to remove the old coating. I used a good self etching primer and VHTcaliper red. Very close red to stock. Then clear coat. One o did two years ago and the other just recently. I carefully scaped the aluminum part off with a razor scraper and the sanded it smooth.
It make take a few times with stripper to get all off. I had to strips some spots 4 or 5 times. Cheapest and easiest way to strip them.
Best of luck
Hope this helps
Brian
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know we're talking intakes here... but these were the nicest refinished valve covers I'd ever seen. (Saw them in the Mall.) Look at that shine on the polished parts!

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2015 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Randy F:

Is the 87 different from the 86 I was going to buy one here in the forum and its off an 87 and mine is an 86 was only going to but the upper intake????????
Thanks,
Randy

There's no real difference internally between the 85-86 and 87-88 upper plenums. The main difference is the 87-88 have the engraved Fiero and the 85-86 have the sticker.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've refinished a number of plenum and valve cover sets. Aircraft Stripper is a good product for removing the old paint. I also used a 3M Scotchbrite wheel on an arbor with my power drill to work down in the recesses. Multiple applications of stripper were required.

After getting them totally stripped, I washed them down with a good degreaser and when they were dry, I washed them with white vinegar. Once they were dry from the rinse, I used Zinc Chromate primer and let it sun cure for a day. The next day I oversprayed that with Dupli-Color DE1605 Ford Red High Temperature Ceramic Engine Paint.

Another day of curing in the sun then using a single edge razor blade style glass scraper, I shaved the paint off the areas that were to be polished. Just place the blade on 2 ribs at a 45 degree angle and push. You can get most of the paint and primer off the areas you intend to polish.

The next step, in order to keep the paint from peeling away at the sharp edges is to tip the razor blade at a 45 degree angle and push it along the edges. I then used a pad sander and I think I started with about 200-400 grit sand paper. This will cut the remaining paint and primer stain from the polished areas. Work your way up to 800-1000 grit for a good polish.

The color is a little off compared to original Fiero red, at this point, but the next step brings it much closer. So that you don't get the nice red intake and valve covers stained with blood, be sure the significant other is away from the house for the next 3 or 4 hours. Preheat the electric oven to 250 degrees. Insert the painted parts and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool and serve on a Fiero engine. This will give you about the same finish as the original but won't protect the polished areas from discoloration. Clear coating would be in order. I've never clear coated so I can't make a recommendation on which product to use, but if it's high temp, I'd recommend doing it before baking in order to get a good bond between color and clear.

This is a picture of my engine taken about a year ago. It had about 12,000 miles on it at the time.
PFF
System Bot
danscrazymodshop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2015 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for danscrazymodshopSend a Private Message to danscrazymodshopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My former 86 SE that I gave away, I shined up my upper plenum and valve covers just like Patrick showed. I should mention most of these don't really ever need repainting because the original powder coated finish shines up if your careful with the buffing wheel attached to a bench grinder used with the grey aluminum polishing stick you find near the welding section at Harbor Freight. Powder coating in the Fiero is one of the things that GM did correctly.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2015 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mother's Polish, and a heaping of elbow grease...

Edit: The Silver is high temp something or the other rattle can.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 09-12-2015).]

bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2015 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the raw finish!!! Wish I would have done one of mine that way!!!! Almost did. Now that I see the pics, looks sweet.....makes me jealous!!!!! Very nice job!!!!!
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2015 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
This is a picture of my engine taken about a year ago. It had about 12,000 miles on it at the time.

I have an engraved upper plenum for sale. Looks just like this picture. PM me if interested .
90turbo1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2015 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 90turbo1Send a Private Message to 90turbo1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when I did my isuzu trooper I cleaned the valve covers with good cleaner and pressure washer. then used aircraft stripper to remove all old power coating that gm did, get them completely clean and then shoot them with red (or what ever) paint you want. let dry and i baked in wifes oven. (dont ask about her suprise) then after a few days I took some fine sandpaper on a flat wood block and started sanding the raised area down to bare aluminum. then cleared over top. it lasted three years with no chipping peeling and then i sold it so not sure about after 3 years.

1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2015 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having an 86 I just wanted to make it look different than others.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock