Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How to replace the felt window guides???

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to replace the felt window guides??? by Monkeyman
Started on: 09-02-2015 11:09 PM
Replies: 16 (1142 views)
Last post by: Khw on 09-06-2015 12:06 PM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2015 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My drivers window squeaks/grinds a little bit when moving so I figured I'd replace the felt guide doohickeys. Before I tear into the door, can someone give me a quick primer and tell me what tools I'll need? I'd rather have my ducks in a row before I start.

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same problem, the dew wipes are shot. As I understand, the rubber blade that wipes moisture off the windows, and the 'felt doohickies' are all one assembly, based upon a metal strip with mounting holes. The whole assembly lives just inside the window channel at the top of the door. Access is tricky, I have yet to attempt it, but there are several YT videos that cover the procedure: YouTube listings, and a special tool by Rodney Dickman that reaches the near unreachable screws. The assemblies have been reproduced and sold by some PFF members, not sure what the current availability is. But, if the rubber part is in good shape, the felt can be replaced separately...

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula, Yellow, original. (CJB #118)
1977 Pontiac Le Mans Can-Am, original, unrestored.

Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are talking about the felt window guides (and not the dew wipes) like these....

http://www.fierostore.com/P...4937%20%20%20%20%204

they are a real pain. I bought a full set from the Fiero Store and still have them in the package. I could never get them installed. I wanted to do the whole deal all at once. Inner and outer dew wipes and the felt guides, but no luck. I was never able to get the window to tilt out far enough to get the job done without fear of breaking something, even with the inner and outer dew wipes removed. I might have loosened up some of the inner window regulator workings enough to get it done but I didn't want to risk messing up the window adjustment. I settled for just replacing the dew wipes. I got them from Seajai here on PFF and they work great. I have had no problems and have been very happy with the quality. Unfortunately, I think he has stopped producing these, at least for now. There may be other sources but I am not aware of them. I think even Rodney Dickman recommended Seajai's product.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca....php?products_id=342
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dew wipes are fine. The felt things might be fine as well but I don't want to risk scratching the no-longer-produced windows. I have the set of (4) that you linked to, Rsvl-Rider.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To replace the felt window guides, the whole door has to come apart, both outside skin and inside panel. Figure about 4 hours worth of work.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

couldahadaV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

To replace the felt window guides, the whole door has to come apart, both outside skin and inside panel. Figure about 4 hours worth of work.

I used a sawzall to cut an access hole in the inner structure to get it in. Couldn't figure out how to maneuver it in without that.

Rick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those videos are excellent . The guy doing the dew wipe replacement really knows his stuff but this did not address the replacement of the felt guides. This requires taking the door apart entirely. A while back Anthony Cook posted his technique and he disconnects the window stops and forces the window up and over the dew wipes to get at the screws. For doing it the way shown in the video, Rodney Dickman sells a special tool that assists in screw removal and tightening. I believe that its being used there.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been able to remove the felt window guides with the glass in place but the outer dew wipe needs to be removed. And there is still some prying and finagling to get them out, not that easy to do. Otherwise you will need to remove the window glass from the door. I recently harvested a pair of side windows from an 87, you can get at the rivet heads to drill them out by removing the interior door panel. There are 4 rivets to remove to get the glass out, 2 attach the glass to the regulator and 2 attach a plastic stop to the glass. I was able to access the 2 rivets toward the rear of the door with the glass about half-way down and the front 2 rivets with the glass 3/4 of the way down (or the other way around, maybe). I did it at the pick-n-pull and it took ne about 10 minutes to remove the inner door panel and get the glass out, no need to remove the outer door skin. The window guides are easy-shmezy at that point.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

I have been able to remove the felt window guides with the glass in place but the outer dew wipe needs to be removed. And there is still some prying and finagling to get them out, not that easy to do. Otherwise you will need to remove the window glass from the door. I recently harvested a pair of side windows from an 87, you can get at the rivet heads to drill them out by removing the interior door panel. There are 4 rivets to remove to get the glass out, 2 attach the glass to the regulator and 2 attach a plastic stop to the glass. I was able to access the 2 rivets toward the rear of the door with the glass about half-way down and the front 2 rivets with the glass 3/4 of the way down (or the other way around, maybe). I did it at the pick-n-pull and it took me about 10 minutes to remove the inner door panel and get the glass out, no need to remove the outer door skin. The window guides are easy-shmezy at that point.

Good info but what do you do to replace the rivets on the rollers so the windows can be put back in place?

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

PFF
System Bot
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't installed the windows yet but they're just 1/4" aluminum rivets so I would think new rivets to replace the ones drilled out would be all that is needed to reattach the pieces. I will do a write-up when I do the R&R of the windows. I'll make it a window and felt guide how-to.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't installed the windows yet but they're just 1/4" aluminum rivets so I would think new rivets to replace the ones drilled out would be all that is needed to reattach the pieces. I will do a write-up when I do the R&R of the windows. I'll make it a window and felt guide how-to.

I am next in line for a window replacement. It looks like we just need to measure up the length of the rivets and use a pop rivet gun or if there is room use a screw bolt and a nyloc nut. I'll have to take a good look to see which approach will work.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rivets for the windows are 1/4" by 15/16" from my 88 Fiero manual. I am rebuilding my driver side door.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2015 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

The rivets for the windows are 1/4" by 15/16" from my 88 Fiero manual. I am rebuilding my driver side door.

Joe Sokol

Thanks for looking that up for us. As far as I can tell that is a very hard pop rivet size to find. A rivet size of 1/4' x 1"L might be easier to find but when you expand a pop rivet it might bind the roller???? Might present an interesting challenge.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 09-06-2015).]

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2015 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The large white round pieces on either side of the glass are just upper limit stops that contact the stop brackets, they do not rotate. I would say 1" rivets will work just fine.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2015 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The large white round pieces on either side of the glass are just upper limit stops that contact the stop brackets, they do not rotate. I would say 1" rivets will work just fine.

Even if they don't, it shouldn't be to difficult to pop the barrel of the rivet core and grind 1/16" off the barrel length before putting it back on the core /shrug. I've done that a few times with a longer rivet when it was to long but my next shortest I had was to short.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock