Changed pickup coil, ICM, plugs and wires with no start by FieroCat
Started on: 08-27-2015 10:32 PM
Replies: 10 (331 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 08-30-2015 01:48 PM
FieroCat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2015 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just tuned up (tried) my V6 with new plugs, wires, ICM, pickup coil and new O-ring on the distributor. Put everything together, proper firing order, noted the position of the rotor, and tried to start but no dice. Rotated distributor slightly and it will catch weakly and run for a few seconds like it's only on 2 cylinders. I thought I'd learned my lesson on changing wires before... but this one has me stumped. Any advice?

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you change the wires one at a time? It can get confusing.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does sound like a timing problem. Did you note the position of the rotor before or after lifting it up? Hopefully both.

Also, did you note the position of the gear relative to the rotor when replacing the pickup coil? I'm not a hundred percent certain this makes a difference. I think I forgot so maybe I was lucky.

Hopefully you didn't crush the pickup coil wires when replacing the cap - happens to the best of them. My new distributor came that way.

You could try putting a bulb or timing light on the number one plug wire to see if the timing mark ends up somewhere near the window when it fires. This is essentially setting the timing. If the mark is nowhere near the window when the plug fires try bumping the starter until the line is near the window, then take the cap off to see where the rotor is. If it points opposite where your number one plug wire should be the easiest thing to do would be to rearrange the wires so they do line up. The best thing to do would be to lift the rotor and put it back so it does line up with the number one wire when the timing mark is near the window.

Do you have pictures of your distributor with the cap on and off? Sometimes a PO got it to work in a peculiar way. If so, now would be a good time to set it straight. Check some images on the forum or elsewhere online to see if your setup looks like the majority.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

Hopefully you didn't crush the pickup coil wires when replacing the cap - happens to the best of them.

Once when I put my distributor cap back on it was slightly off, & when I tried to start, the rotor just ate up the cap.
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got it to start. Turned out to be timing, and it was just a bit off. It's backfiring a bit, so I need to time it properly but at least I got it started.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not unusual for a new rotor to need some persuasion to seat all the way down. For this a rubber mallet and restraint can be useful.

It's also not unusual for there to be too much play in the vertical movement of the distributor shaft. For this you need shim washers (hard to find) or a hardware store washer ground down if necessary. Watch your cap when it's running. It shouldn't be jumping or moving.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCat:

I just got it to start. Turned out to be timing, and it was just a bit off. It's backfiring a bit, so I need to time it properly but at least I got it started.

Recheck your plug wire sequence.
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, what phonedawgz said

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2015 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The sequence is right, but for some reason the orientation of my distributor doesn't match that picture. My #1 wire post is where the #2 post is on there, slightly rotated.

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

Ryanap333

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2015 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryanap333Send a Private Message to Ryanap333Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Timm/phonedawgs if you read this please contact me asap in regards to my harness and computer...
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2015 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In theory you could rotate the distributor, but it probably won't move that far given the length of the connector wires and the limited space. I think I've ended up moving all the wires on two different Fiero V-6 engines. Just take one off, move one up, and work your way around. This engine has such a simple and convenient firing order it might be easier to take them all off and reroute them one at a time. Have you by any chance already done this? Are you driving now?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock