jack stand support points by Bruce
Started on: 08-26-2015 10:32 PM
Replies: 8 (1907 views)
Last post by: Cajun on 08-28-2015 02:18 PM
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2015 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've checked both Chilton and Haynes manuals, and I'm clear on the floor jack support point. However, it's difficult for me to detect the points where the two jack stands go.
I'm changing the front shocks, and I want to make sure I have the supports in the right places.
Again, I've referred to the two manuals, but the legends and the contact points don't seem to be marked.
Thanks!

bb
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2015 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2015 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2015 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually use the front most points on the frame rails (pink areas in the diagrams) for jackstand placement.
They'll have to be extended quite a bit.

I place my floor jack under the center crossmember (green square) to raise the front of the car, and then set the jackstands.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-27-2015).]

Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2015 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perfect!
Thanks!!
bb
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2015 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They came from Fiero OM. Small one from my Cave, Safe Jacking.

All are in that book for One Exception. Rear pink stand points overlapping yellow.
Those stand points work well when used w/ flood jack. the tip up space become parallel to ground when you jack the rear.

Many use 4 stand to support the car...
Can work but only on level concrete surface. even then often is not a good plan.
ANYTHING else then stands can sink unevenly and cause fatal problems. Even on concrete many stands can tip etc from sideways loading on the car because many uses small size, top can slip the load, or both.
Jacks and Stands load rating is only when you pushing down. Metal stand top + Metal car = a surprisingly slippery joint... Hit the car, pull hard w/ tool, jack or stand on ground or asphalt, and many others could cause very big problems.

Example: In Recent new (NY Post and many others) and what stories don't say is this guy was using jack stand wrong, Overloaded the stand, or likely both because 5000lb of trunk4. I hate those cheap stands and won't use them. Many places don't even sell the type he had now.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2015 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, maybe someone can finally make me understand just where to put the 4x4 across the Fiero when lifting the backend....pink, green, red....somewhere else?

Tia,

Larry

Originally posted by fierosound:

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2015 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

OK, maybe someone can finally make me understand just where to put the 4x4 across the Fiero when lifting the backend....pink, green, red....somewhere else?

Tia,

Larry

I would like to know also
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2015 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm currently in the middle of a transmission (4T60) swap! I placed the 4x4 just forward of the vehicle jack location/ forward of the cradle pivoit point, You will notice the frame has section that is squared off. The 4x4s are resting at that location.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock