Clutch not disengaging completely by LovesGoldens
Started on: 08-14-2015 03:28 PM
Replies: 3 (186 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 08-14-2015 04:35 PM
LovesGoldens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LovesGoldensSend a Private Message to LovesGoldensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1988 GT with 5 speed manual trans. With my clutch petal pushed to the floor, the reverse gear is still turning I must force it in gear and the car will start to move backward. I have new master and slave and have used over a quart of fluid to bleed the system.

The clutch petal is soft for about 2" then gets firm. The slave push rod moves for that 2" petal. When in first gear and the petal is on the floor, just the slightest lifting of my foot and the car will start to move forward.

The cars has 126,000 miles. I am not the original owner. At some point could someone have put a wrong part in the transmission? Any suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like there's still air in the system. You're not getting enough travel to fully release the clutch disk. Try jacking up the car to get the left front wheel off the ground. Then top off the master cylinder, leaving the can of fluid nearby and the cap off the reservoir.

Do not pump the pedal. This is a one person job. Open the slave bleeder valve and lightly tap on the side of the slave with a ratchet handle as the fluid flows out the bleeder. Keep an eye on the master cylinder reservoir and as it nears the bottom, close the bleeder and refill it. Now open the bleeder and let the fluid flow again. Do this at least 3 times, continuing to bump the slave while the fluid is flowing. On the 3rd refill, let the level drain down to the full mark and close the slave bleeder. You should have a full clutch pedal at this time.
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to tell you to throw a part at your problem, but go buy Rodney Dickman's slave and remove the one you installed. It is astonishingly superior to any other choice.

It DOES sound like you still have air in the system. But check this first: is the clutch pedal, at rest, 1" higher than the brake pedal? If not, then you have a mechanical problem under the dash.

The bleeding process that works is quite strange: you must bleed the slave cylinder. V8Archie describes it better than most anyone else, go here: http://v8archie.com/v8Archie/ToC6.htm

Good luck to you....the Fiero clutch is a very strange beast and people have actually sold their cars trying to get it to fully disengage.

Larry
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LovesGoldens:

1988 GT with 5 speed manual trans. With my clutch petal pushed to the floor, the reverse gear is still turning I must force it in gear and the car will start to move backward.

Keep doing that and you'll need a new transmission.
Until you get the problem solved, put the transmission in reverse before starting engine.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay